Lighting Advise

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
My 90 gallon set up keeps offering set backs. I fired up the light last night only to discover that it apparently has some issues, I thought that I simply needed new bulbs but it looks as if it may require some wire splicing / repair work. I could be setting the system up any day, I have purchased all of the other equipment based on recommendations from arc members in this forum and thought I just needed sand and a bucket of salt.

This time I need lighting recommendations. My intent was to use the used T5 that came with the tank until I could save enough money for a couple of Kessil lights.

What exists (T5 or LED) that will not break the bank?

For LEDs I would go with ReefBreaders or the black box full spectrum model from eBay. There are more expensive models but these two are the most affordable models.

I don't know much about T5s but there are plenty around here that do. I'm sure Snowman can help you if you find him.

T5 will probably have the lower initial purchase price. What are the dimensions on the tank you're trying to cover? If keeping the cost low is the goal, watching the classifieds is your best bet.

Hey, hit up CaptHutch. He has or had a REALLY nice 4ft 8 bulb setup.. It would make a GREAT fixture and a very good price.

And I'd go ahead and set it up. You're going to have to spend a few weeks going through a cycle probably anyway, and you can do that without lights.

Thanks guys, it is 48 in length and 18 in depth. I bought the whole set up used, but not from an arc member. With the lights being trash it looks like a paid a lot of money to throw away a light and pay for a custom stand. This hobby can be depressing.

I'm no expert in T5, but I've had decent success over a few years with them and sps..

at only 18" You'll be fine with 4 54w (48") T5 lamps IMO. At that depth I would THINK you could grow sps even with little problem at all.

If you're electrically inclined I would get a single VUE 660 Ballast and DIY you a 4 lamp t5 setup in your hood. Youll need reflectors, end caps, stand offs, wiring, ballast and lamps.

That VUE 660 will OD your lamps and put out all kind of bang.

at 4 lamps I would go with
2 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Blue Special
and 1 GE 6500K (daylight)
Just my personal preference

Edit: for a bluer look sub that 6500 w something else.. you'll have plenty of PAR anyway

Back