Got the tank and stand, what next?

leyth

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I got a great deal on a used tank and stand that met the specifications I was looking for in a tank. I purchased it from a member on here named sinbad. Him and his wife were very nice to me and even spent a good bit of time teaching me a few things. Thanks again sinbad.

Well they showed me a few different ways I could go about setting up the tank, and recommended a few videos on youtube to teach me. The videos were very useful and showed me many different ways I can choose to setup the aquarium.

I am not planning to get anything running until after September 15th which is when I move to my new place, but until then I am going to repaint the stand, buy the rest of the supplies, and possibly clean the tank. I said possibly, because I am unsure that it is necessary. There is red algae on the overflow box and the back wall of the tank. I learned that this red algae is good, but I forgot to ask if it's completely useless at this point since there is no water in the tank? Therefore should I clean it off with vinegar and water?

Also, while I have no water in this tank, are there any other cleaning techniques I should take before filling the tank with water while I have the chance? Maybe vinegar and water the whole inside?

I also did the research to find how I am going to repaint the stand so I think I have that covered.

As for equipment, the tank is already drilled on the bottom which is nice. After watching some videos I really fell in love with the flexible tubing method for plumbing. I like that it decreases the pressure due to less 90 bends, and it just seems like a more efficient way to plumb. Where could I get these flexible grey tubing? I am also trying to find the right size sump for a 65 gallon setup with about 34"x16" available room in the stand. I'd like to have atleast 3 chambers as well.

Any advice you guys could give me would be great!

---
Edit: http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1775582">http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1775582</a>

Ok I just saw that, and maybe forget the whole grey flexible plumbing idea lol.

I bought my last tank used. It needed to be cleaned, so I filled it with water, put a cheap pump and vinegar in it for a day. It worked pretty well. Some will say to use bleach. I've done that too, but I think it's important to let it completely dry afterwards. I did a few rinses afterwards for good measure.

Can't tell you where to get grey flexible tubing, but the spa flex from Home reply works great. How ever, you probably will not use 1" tubing which I think is the smallest they carry. I'd probably try BRS online to see what they have.

I can tell you have done your research. Keep up the good work. You can never learn enough.

Back