1500 Magnesium Level

Rainblood

Supporting
Reaction score
The problem with this hobby is that you can find whatever answer you are looking for on the good old www...
Most sources recommend a mg level of between 1250-1350.
However I've read that a lot of the goni people keep their mg between 1450-1500. Supposedly euphyllia also like this "high" range.

Mine is currently between 1250-1350 but I am thinking about bumping it to 1500.

Where do you guys keep your mg levels and why?

I run about 1450-1480. At 1500 snails get sluggish and apparently a bit higher it kills snails. You would also be surprised At how much magnesium your tank will eat and not move numbers if you daily dose. It will also make Coraline boom. Basically even if your numbers are stable if you dose every day it will get consumed most likely

I run about 1450-1480. At 1500 snails get sluggish and apparently a bit higher it kills snails. You would also be surprised At how much magnesium your tank will eat and not move numbers if you daily dose. It will also make Coraline boom. Basically even if your numbers are stable if you dose every day it will get consumed most likely
is that why my snails are sluggish? I thought they were just lazy. LOL. They aren't dying tho.

Mine is pretty high too. It’s at 1470 right now but gets up above 1500 sometimes. I use reef crystals for water changes and it’s super high in mag so that’s the main reason I keep mine in that range. It’s been working out fine so I try not to fix something that isn’t broken.

Back