Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Reef Discussion
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 04-06-2012, 7:32 PM   #41
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Athens
State: GA
Not necessarily. "Designer" pets like certain dog and cats are VERY genetically similar due to the selective breeding scheme which created them. Only a few single nucleotide polymorphisms separate the average teacup poodle from my German Shepard. However, corals are taken from wild populations and are bred asexually in captivity, so any genetic divergence from reproductive barriers is preserved. That way, you should be able to see if your No-names came from the same mother colony as the Sopranos. It's not fool-proof, but it's certainly feasible to do the experiment.

Old 04-06-2012, 9:41 PM   #42

City: Canton
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1014 View Post
Not necessarily. However, corals are taken from wild populations and are bred asexually in captivity, so any genetic divergence from reproductive barriers is preserved.
Good point!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #43

City: Acworth
Other Interests: My cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1014 View Post
If you were really interested in DNA, you could do the cytochrome oxidase a,b,c genotyping for cheap enough. I could do it here in the lab with ease. I would just need a generic primer pair, some cheap PCR reagents, a couple bucks to send it off for sequencing, and the most expensive part, the actual corals to extract genomic DNA from. However, there's no guarantee it would ever show anything "special" about the corals. The DNA may read out exactly the same as some Darth Mauls, and if it is just a freak morph from a colony of them, it probably will. You would need a much more sensitive (and expensive) genetic analysis if you really wanted to compare two corals which were very morphologically similar in order to confirm authenticity using DNA.

Sorry. Just nerding out. For now, I'm happy just going with a name and somebody's word to tell me that my corals are authentic.
Thanks John,

You got my point...