Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Member Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 04-06-2012, 9:45 PM   #101
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Fairmount
State: GA
Other Interests: scuba diving,teaching scuba diving,target shooting,my family
Send a message via Yahoo to wmboots
you don't want to see pictures of that lousy looking overflow he built or that sky blue paint on the back of the tank I mean that work is really third rate. I'd be ashamed to admit I did work like that

Old 04-07-2012, 6:12 AM   #102
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Cumming
Other Interests: Home Improvement, Woodworking.
LOL Yeah but the price was right Bill. LOL Amazing what you can do with some scrap material when you scrounge around.

Kris, I have taken any pics in a while. I have to run out and help Seth today so maybe tomorrow after I do tank maintenance I will get some pics and post. That is if you are talking about my 45. If you talking about the 125, there really isn't anything to take pictures of that hasn't already been posted here. LOL Was hoping to make progress on that this weekend but got a chance to earn at least some of the money I need to buy the LEDs.

I guess that is one update I should mention. I did decided instead of trying to modify my current T5s to work with this tank, I would go LED. That is why I put together the group buy on the MM dimmables. Just about everything on this tank is going to be done on the cheap if I can manage. Which explains why I have suck a big nose.....air is free. :-0

Old 04-07-2012, 6:35 AM   #103
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

well just think if the electrical thing falls apart you could start an aquarium upgrade business or turn out DIY books for 29.95 each.

Old 04-07-2012, 6:42 AM   #104
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Bill, if I thought I could make a living doing that I would be on it like a fat kid on cake. LOL I have racked my brain for the past 4 years trying to come up with something other than electrical work that I could do to feed my family. It always comes back to firing up the table saw in my garage. I just think I have the talent to sell what I build and I don't think there is enough market for that kind of stuff. Oh well. Such is life.

Old 04-07-2012, 7:12 AM   #105

City: Lithia Springs
you know I just bought 2 of the MM LEDS. only if you would have done this 3 weeks ago :^(

also I might be coming out that way this afternoon 1ish. will you be around so I can meet up to give you a frag for wmboots? also pm sent

Old 04-07-2012, 7:28 AM   #106
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Yeah, I was thinking of that eagle. Same thing with Kris. But, at the time, I really didn't consider going LED do to the cost. I asked a few questions just to see what it would run me and before you know it, I had made a deal. LOL Guess he is a good salesman.

As for this afternoon, I won't be around. I have a full days work to do at a members house which will help pay for those LEDs I committed too on a whim.

Old 04-07-2012, 9:10 AM   #107

need any help?

Old 04-09-2012, 6:33 PM   #108
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Well, tonight after work I got the sump built. Picture below because I know you won't believe me otherwise. Not sure how I managed it but one of the baffles is a bit off. I don't think the fish will mind too much so that is the way it will stay. :-)

Also got a very nice PM tonight. Several months ago a member bought a used acrylic tank that leaked. He started a thread looking for ideas on how to fix it. I told him to bring it by and we would see what we could do. Most of the seam was gone and we got it all sealed but one small area. He ended up selling it. Well, tonight he sent me a PM saying he was breaking down his bow front and heard I was looking for Live Rock. He said that since I helped him, he would give the 50-60 lbs he has and he will store it and keep it alive until I am ready for it. Along with what I have in my 45. I should be just about there as far as rock goes. Bill, let me know how much you are looking to get rid of. If may be just the right amount. Of course, I will pay you for yours because you are a starving electrician too. :-)

Just shows to go ya, what goes around comes around. :-)
Attached Pictures
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	36406  

Old 04-09-2012, 7:48 PM   #109
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I have somewhere between 30 and 40 pounds I may not use. And yea starving electrician it is. Although I received 2 contracts today with startup dates of tomorrow and thursday and supposed to receive another 1 or 2 tomorrow. Putting those together with what I received in the past couple of weeks we will have 6 projects on the books. It has been quite sometime since I had more than a couple jobs at a time. On the lawsuit front one of the guys were suing has filed a counter suit claiming the machine he blew up with a stinger leg was our doing. He hired us after he blew up the machine because he didn't know what a Delta system was. Fortunately we have documentation with him admitting he did it and he has forgotten we have it in writing. OPPPS I guess you owe me those five figure thousands after all

Old 04-10-2012, 4:53 AM   #110
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Sometimes Facebook is a good thing isn't it? LOL Good luck on the lawsuit and congrats on the jobs.

Old 04-14-2012, 8:53 AM   #111
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334411560.977217.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	36504

She is not going to be happy with me.

Old 04-14-2012, 9:08 AM   #112
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: dacula
Other Interests: Golf, wood working, guitars, gardening, hydroponics
Oh no she isn't! I can't believe you failed to get authorization! What were you thinking? Everything was going so well... ;-)

Old 04-14-2012, 9:13 AM   #113
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

LOL Actually, I forewarned her last night about this hole and the two I am going to be cutting in the ceiling. One above the fire place and one in the garage. But, since I did it before and you can't see the patch I made it will all be good when it is done. Just messy for a couple of days. :-)

Old 04-15-2012, 6:23 AM   #114
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Long day yesterday but I did accomplish a lot. Not as much as I wanted but........

Got a string through from the garage to the recessed light in the kitchen. Found a path to route wiring from above the fire place to the existing AV/Sat. equipment location and also where the two GFI receptacles will be. Got all the holes cut for the outlets and AV boxes. Started on getting a string from the kitchen light across the family room to the fire place but hit some snags and it was getting late. If I can get that through in a decent amount of time this morning it will all be down hill from there. The two difficult tasks left are getting the string across the family room ceiling and also across the ceiling in the garage. Not overly concerned about the garage. If it gives me too much trouble I will run that part surface mount.

I did have to smile a bit last night when I was thinking back on the day's events. I had a very hard time getting a string down the exterior wall at the fireplace. It was getting very frustrating. Then, I remembered something my first boss told me back in 1979 when I got into this industry. "Walk away, take 15 minutes and when you come back you will find the answer." Sure enough, after taking a break, I had it in about 5 minutes. :-)

Hope to be able to check this portion off my "Too Do List" today so I can get back to working on the tank. My wife will be out of town for a week starting next weekend and that would be the perfect time to change out a tank. :-)

Old 04-15-2012, 8:29 AM   #115
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
Long day yesterday but I did accomplish a lot. Not as much as I wanted but........

Got a string through from the garage to the recessed light in the kitchen. Found a path to route wiring from above the fire place to the existing AV/Sat. equipment location and also where the two GFI receptacles will be. Got all the holes cut for the outlets and AV boxes. Started on getting a string from the kitchen light across the family room to the fire place but hit some snags and it was getting late. If I can get that through in a decent amount of time this morning it will all be down hill from there. The two difficult tasks left are getting the string across the family room ceiling and also across the ceiling in the garage. Not overly concerned about the garage. If it gives me too much trouble I will run that part surface mount.

I did have to smile a bit last night when I was thinking back on the day's events. I had a very hard time getting a string down the exterior wall at the fireplace. It was getting very frustrating. Then, I remembered something my first boss told me back in 1979 when I got into this industry. "Walk away, take 15 minutes and when you come back you will find the answer." Sure enough, after taking a break, I had it in about 5 minutes. :-)

Hope to be able to check this portion off my "Too Do List" today so I can get back to working on the tank. My wife will be out of town for a week starting next weekend and that would be the perfect time to change out a tank. :-)

WOW your memory took you back that far!!!!!
The meds your taking must be working after all

Old 04-15-2012, 8:33 AM   #116
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Either that, or the "Meds" I took back then didn't have a lasting affect. LOL

Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #117

Some say men have size issues. I can truly say some women do too. After taking the sheetrock off the wall in the kitchen she about freaked. Her comment was “I did not think it was going to be that big” I said “well, just how big do you think eight feet is”? she said a lot smaller than that…. LOL

She is sick today so no sheetrock mudd... darn and I was so LQQKing forward to slingin mudd LOL

Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #118
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

what do you expect! men have been lying to women about size for centuries

Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #119
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Success!!!!!! Man, that was a beard!!!!
Attached Pictures

Name:	999.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	36532  

Old 04-16-2012, 5:55 AM   #120
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

First of all, the previous post was supposed to say "That was a bear" not beard. LOL

While I didn't make as much progress as I wanted, the worst of it is done. Hope to button up all the electrical and AV work this afternoon after work. Once that is complete, it will be back to concentrating on the tank and getting ready to finally set this thing up. My wife leave next Saturday afternoon to go to her parents house for a week so if I can swing it, I want to try to get the 45 moved and the 125 in place on Sunday. Not sure I can make that happen but going to give it my best shot. If I can have everything complete by the time she returns the following Sunday that would be fantastic.

What kind of beer does everyone like? LOL You know where this is headed don't you? hehehehe