Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Member Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 03-15-2012, 9:10 PM   #21
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Fairmount
State: GA
Other Interests: scuba diving,teaching scuba diving,target shooting,my family
Send a message via Yahoo to wmboots
I thought you said you were drilling 1" holes, either those pictures are deceiving or you've been lying to your wife for so many years your perception of size and distance is truly obscured.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #22
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Cumming
Other Interests: Home Improvement, Woodworking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmboots View Post
I thought you said you were drilling 1" holes, either those pictures are deceiving or you've been lying to your wife for so many years your perception of size and distance is truly obscured.
LOL. Why do you think women have such bad depth perception?????

That is the size required fir a 1" bulkhead.

Brian from Imagine ocean brought me the bulkhead fittings tonight at the meeting and I stopped at HD on my way and picked up the paint and plumbing fittings. Debating building a cover for the overflow box. I think it would help prevent algae growth in the overflow by keeping the light out. I decided to go with an ocean blue for the background. I am not a big fan of black background. Blue makes it look like the whole ocean is behind what you see in the tank. Well, that's my story and I am sticking too it.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #23

City: Macon
Other Interests: My wife, my dog, guns, video games, DIY projects, padawan woodworker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
Blue makes it look like the whole ocean is behind what you see in the tank.
I have to agree (even though I have a black background on mine), I saw a few pics of some tanks with different color blue backgrounds and I really like some of the lighter blue colors....kinda makes it look more natural, well as natural as a box of water can look anyway

I hope you get to keep it! I have been looking forward to this tank build since you bought the tank!!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #24
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

those are the same size holes I need for my second return for my closed loop system
My 150 won't be going up this weekend, the hardwood floor still isn't completely dry so I haven't been able to lay cement board and tile yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get that down and maybe get the tank set in place during the week.
I would like to through a tank raising party and get a couple other people involved in aquascaping. I have 50lbs of marco rock and over a 100lbs of rock a good share of it covered in coral that will need some real thought in how to make a good looking scape.

Old 03-16-2012, 5:48 AM   #25
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

Quote:
those are the same size holes I need for my second return for my closed loop system
My 150 won't be going up this weekend, the hardwood floor still isn't completely dry so I haven't been able to lay cement board and tile yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get that down and maybe get the tank set in place during the week.
I would like to through a tank raising party and get a couple other people involved in aquascaping. I have 50lbs of marco rock and over a 100lbs of rock a good share of it covered in coral that will need some real thought in how to make a good looking scape.
I am up for it. :-) I returned that bit at the meeting last night but I know the owner would not mind loaning it out again. I already check and they are fine with it.

Old 03-16-2012, 7:47 AM   #26
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Hey wait a minute you were working on your tank in the middle of a work day! Aren't you paid to find work? or is it more like me I don't get paid unless I do find work.
In my case I pay the guys who perform the work I find while I try to find more work and live off what scraps (if any) are left over.

Edit: Hey wait a minute you were working on your tank in the middle of the work week! I thought you were paid to find work or is it more like me "I don't get paid unless I do find work"
In my case I find work pay the guys who perform the work but I only get a few crumbs that are left over if any at the end of the job

Old 03-16-2012, 8:48 AM   #27
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

Quote:
Hey wait a minute you were working on your tank in the middle of a work day! Aren't you paid to find work? or is it more like me I don't get paid unless I do find work.
In my case I pay the guys who perform the work I find while I try to find more work and live off what scraps (if any) are left over.

Edit: Hey wait a minute you were working on your tank in the middle of the work week! I thought you were paid to find work or is it more like me "I don't get paid unless I do find work"
In my case I find work pay the guys who perform the work but I only get a few crumbs that are left over if any at the end of the job

LOL That is the nice thing about being salary. You get to work 3 or 4 hours over every night and in return you get to knock off early an hour or two once every 6 months. LOL

On that subject, is it a bad sign when you bid a job that is very complex, the drawings are near worthless and you put 2 pages of clarifications and stipulations in your proposal and none of the 7 GCs call with questions? Something tells me I was as high as a giraffe’s @$$ on this one. That is why I normally don't chase municipal work.

Old 03-16-2012, 8:51 AM   #28

City: Lithia Springs
well hope she will like the tank. After sitting mine in it's home .... long story short. I'm gonna have to drill some more holes. i'll have to post that saga in my build thread

Old 03-16-2012, 9:02 AM   #29
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle9252 View Post
well hope she will like the tank. After sitting mine in it's home .... long story short. I'm gonna have to drill some more holes. i'll have to post that saga in my build thread
Ouch!!!! Want to see that.

Old 03-16-2012, 6:40 PM   #30
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

Well, after work, with some motivational support sponsored by Ice House, I got a bit of work done.
Attached Pictures
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	35948   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	35949  

Old 03-16-2012, 6:43 PM   #31
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Snellville
Other Interests: Working on cars, Fighting in the Army. Games and Guns
You do Awesome Work Rich!

Old 03-16-2012, 8:04 PM   #32
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

Thank you. It is coming along. Hope to have the overflow installed an plumbed this weekend a give it a try. I have a left over pond pump in the garage so I will get it running with some tap water and see how it does.

Old 03-16-2012, 9:42 PM   #33
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

hey rich your work looks great now how about coming to fairmount. There's this guy I know who is in the midst of getting a 150 gal tank ready to setup. I know he spent the afternoon ripping up carpet and setting cement board down and he has to pour self leveling cement in the morning. The there is this issue of plumbing and the desire to drill another hole for a second return for the closed loop.
I really wonder why this guy is going to all this work he must suffer from some sort of mental issues.

By the way the guy told me he really likes the work you've done on your tank and volunteered to go to your house to explain to your better half how you would be more than happy to take her on that Alaskan cruise she has been wanting if you could pretty please setup your new aquarium.
Just a thought but its nice of him to volunteer to do that :-)

Old 03-17-2012, 7:26 AM   #34
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

Quote:
hey rich your work looks great now how about coming to fairmount. There's this guy I know who is in the midst of getting a 150 gal tank ready to setup. I know he spent the afternoon ripping up carpet and setting cement board down and he has to pour self leveling cement in the morning. The there is this issue of plumbing and the desire to drill another hole for a second return for the closed loop.
I really wonder why this guy is going to all this work he must suffer from some sort of mental issues.

By the way the guy told me he really likes the work you've done on your tank and volunteered to go to your house to explain to your better half how you would be more than happy to take her on that Alaskan cruise she has been wanting if you could pretty please setup your new aquarium.
Just a thought but its nice of him to volunteer to do that :-)
LOL Two major flaws in you plan Bill. One, I am a subcontractor and therefore will never be able to afford an Alaskan Cruise (but would love one), Two she wore a parka while we watched the 4th of July fireworks the year we had a family reunion in Montana. LOL You think she is going to want to go to Alaska???? hehehehe

If you are ready, I can maybe make it up your way tomorrow (Sunday) and drill the tank. I would have to see if I can get my hands on the bit again but that shouldn't be a big problem. You are plumbing with 1" bulkheads right?

Old 03-17-2012, 8:16 AM   #35

City: Lithia Springs
my bit is MIA... oh the saga continues

Old 03-17-2012, 8:43 AM   #36
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

That sucks. Did you lend it to someone? I have a source for one that isn't too far away. I am sure they won't mind if I use it. They are kind of fond of Bill too. LOL

Going to post a question in the lounge but maybe someone here can give me a good pointer. When dry fitting PVC, it is always a bear getting the pipe to bottom out in the fitting and getting it back off so that you can glue it. Usually, I end up cutting the pipe too short. LOL Is there a way to lubricate the fitting so it will go on and off easily but will still allow a good seal when glued? In addition, I plan no glue for the fittings inside the overflow box (no need to glue them and I want to be able to remove them easily if I ever have too). But that means getting them to bottom out is going to be a real chore and trying to break them loose later will be even harder in such a cramped location. It would be great if I could find a lubricant that would not harm the livestock and not breakdown over time. Any ideas?

Old 03-17-2012, 9:39 AM   #37
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Ky?

Old 03-17-2012, 9:43 AM   #38
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

LOL. That very well me be the trick. I would assume it is safe for fish or it wouldn't be safe for it's most common use. LOL Just seems there must be a little trick plumbers use. I can't see them carrying a tube of KY in the tool box but.... Well, we all know how plumbers are. hehehehe

Old 03-17-2012, 9:52 AM   #39
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Rich Sunday works for me and I am using 3/4 and 1 inch pipe, bulk heads I have are all the same size hole which appear to be 2" diameter

Old 03-17-2012, 9:57 AM   #40
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

Hmmmmm Just measured. The holes I drilled for the 1" bulkheads I am using is exactly 1-3/4". You sure they are 2". I bought mine from Jenn. Is that where you got yours?