Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Do It Yourself
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #21

City: Alpharetta
State: GA
No problem and I enjoy helping out. My dad used to build a house a year when I was a kid so I got to plumb, wire, hammer pretty much anything and everything. Then I moved onto building my own PCs (as in writing my own processor code and building my own power supplies). Then came the car/motorcycle thing where I took apart (and rarely got it back together again at least with all the parts in tact) and built my own rides.... now I do aquariums. I am shocked how handy all that other stuff comes into play with aquarium technology. I am seriously considering some civil engineering courses just to understand hydrodynamics better.

Old 08-01-2007, 4:34 AM   #22

City: Woodstock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
I got a 240g, a 210g,a 200g,a 150g, a 135g,a 90g, and a 42g hex. That's big enuff 4 now, or is it?.....
You're getting there. Next stop should be at least 4 times the biggest one.

Old 08-01-2007, 9:09 PM   #23

City: Stone Mountain
Other Interests: Stand Up Paddleboarding, surfing, time w/kids, dirtbikes, fishing, airsoft...
You don't need to worry to much about your main recirc pump running. Circulation in your tank is going to be key for animal health during a power outage. the reason most fish die during a power outage is lack of O2 in the water. Nh4 No2 don't normally build up if you have circulation in your tank during a power outage.

That and the price, is why the back up emergence battery power air pump work so well. If you want to have a battery back up like a UPC type use it to run a low watt power head (Hydor K-4 12 watts) it will run for a long time. (your main pump 120 watts +++ will not run very long). If you use the power head instead of the air pump just make sure you point it up at the surface to insure good O2 exchange.

Old 08-07-2007, 3:13 AM   #24

City: Riverdale
Other Interests: I work hard, play hard, and enjoy my fish tanks
thanx for the advice, that sound like plan