Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Product Reviews
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 11-06-2010, 3:06 PM   #1

City: Pittsview
State: AL
Other Interests: scuba diving, guitar,Radio controlled gas trucks,farming,engines!!!!
aquatic life 72" t5

Hey guys i have the aquatic life 72" t5 8 bulb (here is a link http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=3376) over my 125 gal. Its about time to change my bulbs and dont really have the funds to buy really expensive bulbs at the moment as my job really sucks.... Will these bulbs be okay? 110575413465 ebay item number. i orderd em a few min ago i got 4 of the 12k and 4 acitinic.

Old 11-06-2010, 3:09 PM   #2

Other Interests: scuba diving, guitar,Radio controlled gas trucks,farming,engines!!!!
Click the picture of lights that say ended to get to more info.

Old 11-06-2010, 3:29 PM   #3

Anyone?

Old 11-06-2010, 7:41 PM   #4

City: Loganville
State: GA
Other Interests: God, Cars, Weightlifting, Boxing, Sharks, Dogs,
Wondering if you have any pics of this light in action?

Old 11-06-2010, 8:03 PM   #5

City: Canton
Other Interests: molecular biophysics
I have no experience with this item or vendor on ebay. I looked at their rating and it is 99.5% positive and the reviews seemed to be enthusiastic. I would say that a new cheaper bulb is probably better than an old better bulb, but thats just my opinion. I base this on the likelyhood of getting better PAR, at the possible risk of inferior spectrum and loss of coloration. If it's all you have money for, you did what you had to do. Please post again with an update on your results, so we will all benefit from this experiment. Thanks, and good luck.

Old 11-06-2010, 8:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyoid View Post
I have no experience with this item or vendor on ebay. I looked at their rating and it is 99.5% positive and the reviews seemed to be enthusiastic. I would say that a new cheaper bulb is probably better than an old better bulb, but thats just my opinion. I base this on the likelyhood of getting better PAR, at the possible risk of inferior spectrum and loss of coloration. If it's all you have money for, you did what you had to do. Please post again with an update on your results, so we will all benefit from this experiment. Thanks, and good luck.
Thanks I have been reading some reviews on odyessea company and have read that the bulbs when used in the manufactures fixture are not very bright, hopefully with my fixture and reflectors it will fix that. I will post my results as soon as i know. My current bulbs will not be a year old till january 1st so i may not change them till then.

Old 11-06-2010, 8:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andregarcia_73 View Post
Wondering if you have any pics of this light in action?
Sorry i missed this post i dont have any pics of it myself as i dont have the bulbs yet. But i have been looking for some.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #8

ok got the lights in i pluuged one bulb in to the tank to compare the brightness and color and i have to say it is deffinatly brighter than my current bulbs. here is a pic bulb on left is the new bulb in. Now here is my question now the light fixture came with the bulbs that are in it now so the bulbs will have been in use a year on december 25th yes i got the light for chirstmas lol, now should i go ahead and change the bulbs now or wait till the year mark or closer to it. When would you change them?
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg 20101112222940.jpg (25.4 KB, 16 views)

Old 11-13-2010, 6:55 AM   #9
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Kennesaw
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
I have the same fixture (well, the 12 lamp one anyway) and changed the factory bulbs after about 9 months - what a difference! I used ATI bulbs and am very happy with the color combo I have.

I would change 2 of them out now and the other 2 on christmas....gives you something to look forward to lol...

then start looking into quality bulbs...ATI bulbs are about $20 each. Just buy a bulb when you have an extra $20 in your pocket and tuck it away til you need to change it - its alot better than having to buy all new bulbs in one shot...

Old 11-13-2010, 7:58 AM   #10
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Other Interests: Family,Cars,Snow Skiing, Air Soft
Gnashty are you happy with the growth of your corals with the 12lamp? I am close to pulling the trigger and swapping out my 72inch Current USA with MH and power compact. I have a 210gallon display with wall to wall Corals. From the looks of it Marine Depot appears to have the best price plus no shiiping. Is there a better deal locally?

Old 11-13-2010, 8:14 AM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Kennesaw
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta View Post
Gnashty are you happy with the growth of your corals with the 12lamp? I am close to pulling the trigger and swapping out my 72inch Current USA with MH and power compact. I have a 210gallon display with wall to wall Corals. From the looks of it Marine Depot appears to have the best price plus no shiiping. Is there a better deal locally?
Short answer...Yes - Ill PM you to keep thread on track

Old 11-13-2010, 9:55 AM   #12

I am even happy with my 8 bulb on my 125 alph. Now back to the bulbs I would rather change them all at once so I can keep track of bulb age better is that okay to do? My lights are only on for 4 hours a day.

Old 11-13-2010, 1:58 PM   #13

Other Interests: molecular biophysics
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime89 View Post
I am even happy with my 8 bulb on my 125 alph. Now back to the bulbs I would rather change them all at once so I can keep track of bulb age better is that okay to do? My lights are only on for 4 hours a day.
You can use a Sharpie pen to write the date on the bulbs when you change them. That way it's easy to keep track of the dates for each bulb.

Old 11-13-2010, 2:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyoid View Post
You can use a Sharpie pen to write the date on the bulbs when you change them. That way it's easy to keep track of the dates for each bulb.
Hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the idea.