Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Product Reviews
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Super Moderator
ARC Super Moderator

City: Atlanta
State: GA
Other Interests: Making Soap & Skin Care goodies.
Need Input - Vertex RX4 Calcium Reactor

Anyone have a Vertex calcium reactor and care to share their opinion on it?

I'm looking at the RX4 and like the layout of it. The pump concerns me as on the whole, it seems like Vertex makes great stuff and throws horrible pumps on them (except for what they put the red dragon on).

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance

-Jeff

Old 10-27-2010, 1:06 PM   #2
ARC Member
ARC Member

Hi Jeff,
I have not owned one, but I just looked it up, and it looks a lot like the reef octopus line of calcium reactors. Same red tops and all.

I have seen the Reef Octopus line of reactors like this one in person. JMO, but with this model and the RO line, I was never too impressed with all the little add on reactors. I'm not sure if I would use them if I owned one. On the RO reactor like this model you are asking about, I thought the small add on media reactors were a bit too small for anything practical. I have always liked the simple, straightforward design of GEO or MRC personally. These reactors seem unnecessarily complicated to me. I'm sure they work, but I have always gravitated towards reactor design that have the fewest plumbing connections, maybe out of potential for leakage in my case.

Just my thoughts, but if you are looking for a calcium reactor, I do have a like new GEO 618 for sale!

Old 10-27-2010, 1:14 PM   #3
Super Moderator
ARC Super Moderator

Other Interests: Making Soap & Skin Care goodies.
Thanks for the reply Dave!

It just kinda piqued my interest as it touts that second chamber for PO4 removing media which could work well with my setup as I'm just putting GFO in my filter right now.

Can you PM me details or shoot me a link to your GEO?

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2010, 1:19 PM   #4
ARC Member
ARC Member

It would be handy, but does that model have separate flow control for the PO4 media is my question, or are you at the mercy of whatever effluent rate you set for the reactor? Not good if you cannot independently control the flow thru the add on, as GFO is supposed to be in a slightly fluidised state when it works, and I don't think a standard Calcium Reactor effluent rate could do that.

I'll send you the link for the Ad. I think it is due for it's weekly bump anyways.

Old 10-27-2010, 1:21 PM   #5
ARC Member
ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Suwanee
Other Interests: Diving, Motorcycles...
Jeff,

Vertex calcium reactors are Chinese units; as Dave indicated, probably the exact same stuff as the octopus line.

Schuran, Geo and MRC (My Reef Creations) are the most touted units, generally. You know which one I'd reccomend, though