Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Photography
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 05-17-2007, 3:08 AM   #1

City: Dawsonville
State: GA
Other Interests: Jet ski Freestyle, wakeboarding, slolem skiing, reefing, boating, Dirtbiking,PHOTOGRAPHY!,Volvo's!
Send a message via AIM to Vettesarebest
Choosing a Lens

I have a Nikon D50 and I am looking for a new zoom lens. I would like to be able to take closer pictures and better pictures of cars at races. I currently have a 18-5mm lens and It just doesn't zoom enough. I was wondering if this would be a good choice for a beginner, just for personal use. http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/25...nses-for-nikon

Old 05-17-2007, 8:10 AM   #2

City: Woodstock
Other Interests: woodwork, photography
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroons16 View Post
I have a Nikon D50 and I am looking for a new zoom lens. I would like to be able to take closer pictures and better pictures of cars at races. I currently have a 18-5mm lens and It just doesn't zoom enough. I was wondering if this would be a good choice for a beginner, just for personal use. http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/25...nses-for-nikon
I would pass on that lens. I get all my bodies, lenses, gear, etc. from either of these two stores:

www.17photo.com
www.bhphoto.com

both reliable, both well priced.

If you want something in the 70-300mm range. Get the Nikkor 70-300G, it is about the same price as the lens in your link, but better made. If you have a little more to spend, Nikon has released a VR version of both the 55-200mm and the 70-300mm.

Old 05-17-2007, 4:58 PM   #3

City: Macon
When it comes to photography equipment I usually pass on the aftermarket lens. Like Matt said the Nikon lens isn't that much more and you will get a lot better lens in the long run. Just bumping the aftermarket lens can loosen a lens and then it would be a pos.

Old 05-17-2007, 5:42 PM   #4

City: Staunton
State: VA
Unless something has radically changed in the last decade for SLR's, Quantaray lenses are not worth the money. Ritz has been pushing that crap (apologies, but true, IMO) for years and ought to be smacked. When a manufacturer's lens flaws show up on ASA 400 black and white film, it's time for the trash heap.

Here's the Nikon 70-300 for less: http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...x?sku=NK70300G

If you decide to go after market, there are some very good (even superior in some cases) lenses to be had for excellent prices. Sigma and Tokina have had good reputations over the years, but check the reviews on specific lenses. Often, however, the price difference between the name brand and after market is minimal.