Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Do It Yourself
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 07-06-2010, 8:45 PM   #1
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Dallas
State: GA
Other Interests: Furniture Building
Johnnie Woodpecker's - Custom Stand Build

Welcome to my build thread. The plan for this build was to build a custom stand to accommodate a new Oceanic 90 gallon Tech tank. In order to gain the wife’s acceptance, the stand had to look more like a piece of furniture than an aquarium stand. I have a background in building furniture so this was a fun challenge for me. I was considering selling this newly completed stand. However, I’m so happy with the way it turned out that as of now I plan to just continue the build as slow as necessary to allow me to keep up with my additional workload.

On to the build and the Pics! BTW, the lamps are not permanent. Just keeping the wife happy until the project is complete. I will be adding trim/canopy at the top. I need to settle on a light fixture before moving forward with the design.

The stand consists of three pods built from cabinet grade birch plywood. The interior is designed to be as open as possible to allow equipment connections between the three sections. The stand height is 42”. I wanted the stand to be taller than the back of a couch and easily visible without having to bend over. The bottom is a single piece of plywood that ties everything together and helps distribute the load. There are three service lights integrated into the stand and wired with a switch and a plug. All screws are stainless steel to resist corrosion. This part of the stand is finished with an oil based primer and paint. The first primer coat went on at half strength and the second coat is full strength. The top coat consists of 2 coats of a durable oil based paint.

The exterior of the stand is solid hardwood, quarter sawn white oak to be specific. The trim around the bottom is designed to appear like feet on a piece of furniture. I’ve always felt like most stands look too heavy. This really helps “lighten” it up. The doors are raised panels and are inset into the frames. You will notice that the interior opening of each door is smaller by ” all the way around. This is to keep light from escaping the inside of the stand when a fuge light is on. The top panels of each side are removable for access to the equipment below. These panels as well as the top piece of trim around the base of the tank include a Wenge inlay to provide some additional detail. The side compartments are not as deep as the main opening to provide some additional visual interest.

The right compartment is planned for the electronics. I have a new Neptune Apex and have mounted the controller display flush with the right door. Behind that door is a removable tray that will hold the rest of the Apex components as well as a couple of Vortecs and a battery backup.

This finish is designed provide an antiqued look and bring out the natural qualities of quarter sawn white oak. The finish consists of a wipe down with distilled water to raise the grain. Once dry the stand was again sanded and a blend of wood dye was applied to achieve the base color. Then the stand was rubbed with boiled linseed oil, which adds depth to the finish. This portion of the finish was then sealed in with two coats of a wax-free shellac. The next step was to apply a dark walnut glaze to accentuate the grain of the wood. A final step was to apply 6 coats of a high performance polyurethane sanding with progressively finer grits between each coat. The inside face of all of the oak is finished as well for stability. The same 6 coats of HP poly was applied over a less labor intensive finish process since it is only visible in one area of the inside of the stand.

I hope you enjoyed my build. As I said in the introduction, it may take a long while to actually get this system fully setup.

Thanks

John

John@johnniewoodpeckers.com
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg DSC04688.jpg (39.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 040308_3994.jpg (59.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 040308_3989.jpg (60.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 040308_3998.jpg (63.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Side open.jpg (49.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 040308_3977.jpg (24.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0051.jpg (66.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 040308_3967.jpg (42.0 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by cr500_af; 07-07-2010 at 9:48 PM. Reason: commercial solicitation removed

Old 07-06-2010, 8:59 PM   #2

City: Lagrange
looks great!

Old 07-06-2010, 9:15 PM   #3
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I had a question about the electronics compartment so I've attached a few more pictures. Basically, there is a removable tray located behind the door where the controller mounted. It's held snug in place by some aluminum and stainless steel fasteners.
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg 040308_3971.jpg (35.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 040308_3973.jpg (26.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 040308_3972.jpg (33.9 KB, 126 views)

Old 07-06-2010, 9:38 PM   #4

City: grovetown
Other Interests: Fishing/Star Wars/Transformers
Sweet, great job!! Wanna build mine?

Old 07-06-2010, 9:38 PM   #5
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Valdosta
Other Interests: Resto work
Very nice! As thought out as the stand seems I cannot wait to see the rest of the build
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again

Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #6

City: Canton
Other Interests: molecular biophysics
Wow! I smell a cabinet 'throw-down' coming...Grouper Therapy, RedEdge, you; and I'm sure I have missed a few others...?

Very nice work. I love that quarter sawn oak. I believe that it's also referred to as Tiger Oak (?). Anyway it's gorgeous! Your finish knowledge/technique is very impressive as well!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #7

Nice job!! I like the inset doors

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #8

City: Buford
Other Interests: Kayaking, reptiles, rock climbing and caving
WOW!!! This should be one incredible build. The stand looks amazing!!!

Old 07-07-2010, 7:55 PM   #9
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
Send a message via AIM to RedEDGE2k1
VERY nice! Is that a spray finish?

Old 07-07-2010, 8:04 PM   #10

City: Riverdale
Other Interests: I work hard, play hard, and enjoy my fish tanks
stand looks better than a preacher's alter

Old 07-07-2010, 8:08 PM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Thanks for the compliments. It's not a spray finish. I used a foam brush for the dye and the topcoats. I used a rag for the glaze layer and a brush for the shellac over the glaze. It took awhile for this many steps with dry time in-between but I'm happy with the results.

I've been following the thread on here about sprayers though. I almost bought a turbine sprayer awhile back but couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I need to though. I have some other projects ongoing and it would be a real time saver if I could become proficient at it.

John

Old 07-07-2010, 8:13 PM   #12
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Send a message via AIM to RedEDGE2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhasrisen View Post
I've been following the thread on here about sprayers though. I almost bought a turbine sprayer awhile back but couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I need to though. I have some other projects ongoing and it would be a real time saver if I could become proficient at it.
I hear ya...I just finished my first project ever using an HVLP conversion spray gun & 15g air compressor, and I'll never pick up a brush again. Words can't describe how much faster and easier the process is, not to mention the flawless finish as a result of spraying. I haven't tried spraying stain yet, but hopefully will get a chance soon.

Dustin

Old 07-07-2010, 8:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEDGE2k1 View Post
I hear ya...I just finished my first project ever using an HVLP conversion spray gun & 15g air compressor, and I'll never pick up a brush again. Words can't describe how much faster and easier the process is, not to mention the flawless finish as a result of spraying. I haven't tried spraying stain yet, but hopefully will get a chance soon.

Dustin
I bet your gonna like that as well! I spray my wiping stain as well then wipe down, much faster. I like the toning that can be done as well with spraying makes for a consistent finish.

Old 07-25-2010, 7:02 PM   #14

Other Interests: Botany
Very nice, I love the Q sawn oak.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Valdosta
Other Interests: Resto work
How's this bad boy coming along?
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again

Old 09-07-2010, 1:36 PM   #16

City: Marietta
Awesome stuff!

Old 09-07-2010, 2:15 PM   #17

City: Alpharetta
wow.. beautiful..

how many hours do you have in it?
if you WERE to sell it, what would you ask? (or what $ range)

the true difference between a beautiful stand and something that's thrown together is the finishing.. clearly.. you probably had nearly as much time in the finishing as you did in the construction/assembly..

again, it's beautiful..

Old 09-07-2010, 8:20 PM   #18
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Since it's been awhile (and Smoothie asked) I thought I'd add a few pictures of the progress. It's not much as I have been busy with my business and my real (day) job.

I worked with Raj and Tim at MRC to have the custom sump built. I've added the pump (Reeflo Snapper Gold) and I've rough fitted some plumbing. Next up is to finish the plumbing and start on the top trim and lights.

I don't want a big bulky canopy so the current plan is to build a matching trim top that is just tall enough to conceal a DIY LED setup.

Rbredding - I wish I knew how many hours I had in it. If I had to guess, I would say 150 to 200. The finish was very time consuming. About twelve steps with drying in-between, I was so happy to finally get it in the house. As for the cost, If I were to sell it, I would look for about $3k. I have over $1k in materials, hardware etc....
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg DSC05699.jpg (50.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05693.jpg (60.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05694.jpg (45.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05695.jpg (28.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05696.jpg (37.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05697.jpg (36.8 KB, 48 views)

Old 09-07-2010, 9:10 PM   #19

Amazing...definitely looks like a piece of furniture. Can't wait to see the project progress

Old 09-07-2010, 9:37 PM   #20

City: Alpharetta
wow...

I could tell you had some time in it, but had no idea you'd have that much time in it..

it DOES look great, you've got skilz