Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Reef Discussion
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 7:38 AM   #1
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
Amphipods & Copepods

Typically by the time i get home my 10k's are off and just the actinic is on so i cant see much of the tiny tiny stuff in my tank. I got home early yesterday while they were still on and I could not beleive the amount of Amphipods crawling around on my substrate, several hundred at least just on the sand.
I know these are good guys but I want to control it a bit, what are some good fish/incerts to reduce the Amphipod population? Gobie? Wrasse? Blenny?

I also have what I beleive to be copepods or hydroids all over the glass, the rock, and overflows. They look like fine peices of white substrate. They are hard to scrape off during cleaning and kind of unsightly and just multiply anyway. Any control/removal methods here?
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 7:43 AM   #2
brianjfinn brianjfinn is offline
ARC Member
 
brianjfinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,611
City: Dacula
State: GA
If it's for your 210, I'd say you might be able to do a Mandarin, if the tank is really established.

The second thing you mentioned doesn't sound like copepods. Copepods are similar to amphipods and mysis shrimp, in that they swim around like little bugs. There might be a fish that eats what you're describing (can't remember the name, but check the New Member Q&A sticky).

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 7:54 AM   #3
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjfinn View Post
If it's for your 210, I'd say you might be able to do a Mandarin, if the tank is really established.

The second thing you mentioned doesn't sound like copepods. Copepods are similar to amphipods and mysis shrimp, in that they swim around like little bugs. There might be a fish that eats what you're describing (can't remember the name, but check the New Member Q&A sticky).
It is for my 210, its only been up for about 9 months and only recently converted to a reef in the last 2 months so I would vote no for being an established tank.

I have seen some info on the Mandarin last night doing research and also the disclaimers of the difficulty of keeping this type of fish and their sole diet of Amphipods. I really need to stay away from hard to keep fish/super specialized diets until my experience level is up a bit and I have better equipment to support my water quality. I am currently battling an ich outbreak
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 8:35 AM   #4
blu_devl_06 blu_devl_06 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 39
Posts: 2,053
City: Norwalk
State: oh
Occupation: Fixin Locomotives!
Other Interests: Family
Mandarin's are difficult to keep because of their diet. If you have that many pods breeding, you may very well be ok, assuming of course that you have a fuge where they can breed when the supply in the DT dwindles. Also, some wrasses have been know to eat at the pods....

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 8:48 AM   #5
Budsreef Budsreef is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
Budsreef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,627
City: Mt Dora
State: Fl
Occupation: Retired
I'd wait until you don't have any ich before adding anything but once that is gone, I'd add a couple of Yellow Coris Wrasses. They are active feeders all day long are very peaceful and are fun to watch.

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 9:05 AM   #6
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_devl_06 View Post
Mandarin's are difficult to keep because of their diet. If you have that many pods breeding, you may very well be ok, assuming of course that you have a fuge where they can breed when the supply in the DT dwindles. Also, some wrasses have been know to eat at the pods....
No Fuge - im basically bare bones on my set up - no room and no money!! soon though
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 9:08 AM   #7
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsreef View Post
I'd wait until you don't have any ich before adding anything but once that is gone, I'd add a couple of Yellow Coris Wrasses. They are active feeders all day long are very peaceful and are fun to watch.
Unfortunately I dont think the Ich will ever truly go away...i was thinking a wrasse type would do well and help maybe eat a few of them
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
ares ares is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,790
City: Alpharetta
State: GA
oh the ich WILL go away, or the fish that has it will

they are extremely beneficial and would not trade them in unless you WANT the fish that eats them, they will scavange on your tank like no clean up crew ever could, and will also feed corals. a healthy pod pop is a very very good thing.

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares View Post
oh the ich WILL go away, or the fish that has it will

they are extremely beneficial and would not trade them in unless you WANT the fish that eats them, they will scavange on your tank like no clean up crew ever could, and will also feed corals. a healthy pod pop is a very very good thing.
I thought the ich always lived in the tank once it fell off the fish, and their life cycle continues under the right conditions. I thought the only way to truly get rid of ich is to let the tank go fallow for 30 days or more.

I do want a wrasse, goby or other fish of that type and I do want my pod population for its benefits but there are just so many of them I want to control their numbers a bit.
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
ga_daisy ga_daisy is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 467
City: Monticello
State: GA
Occupation: Executive Traffic Coordinator
Other Interests: Full time college student
For the ich....get a cleaner shrimp. For the pods....I can't imagine having "too many" or wanting to control numbers. Maybe something that I'm missing here.

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Cjsparky Cjsparky is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 457
City: Atlanta
State: GA
I so wish I had a bunch of pods...I find a few in my filter sock whenever I change it out, and dump them back in the tank, but I never really see them around in the tank.

CJ

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga_daisy View Post
For the ich....get a cleaner shrimp. For the pods....I can't imagine having "too many" or wanting to control numbers. Maybe something that I'm missing here.
Got one, he's a worker too.

Granted, I knew nothing of these little creatures until last night after I saw them and did a little research. I know they are good I just have so many - I counted over 200 in an 8" x 8" area on the substrate and my tank has a floor space of 84" x 24" - thats ALOT of freakin pods.
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 1:44 PM   #13
ares ares is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,790
City: Alpharetta
State: GA
based on autopsy's (if thats the right word for a shrimp...) they did not find significant ich in their digestive system, indicating they do not do much of anything to it. they may clean fish, but not of ich.

ich, for my purposes, is a visible thing on the fish, might it exist and be invisible waiting to strike? I believe so, but if I cant see it, I presume its not bothering the fish. common cold is in the air, but if I dont have it, Im not concerned.

pods will handle themselves, if they have food, they will thrive, if they run out of food, they will fade. so long as they are thriving it means they are eating something, and thats a good thing. theres no drawback to them at all.

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 1:49 PM   #14
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
ok, so maybe its just me not wanting to look at the pods..I have also heard a cleaner shrimp does not eat ich, they may knock some off of the fish but will not actually ingest it/remove it from your system to the point of eradication. I guess they key is keeping healthy hapy fish and the "ich in the system" will not be able to take hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares View Post
based on autopsy's (if thats the right word for a shrimp...) they did not find significant ich in their digestive system, indicating they do not do much of anything to it. they may clean fish, but not of ich.

ich, for my purposes, is a visible thing on the fish, might it exist and be invisible waiting to strike? I believe so, but if I cant see it, I presume its not bothering the fish. common cold is in the air, but if I dont have it, Im not concerned.

pods will handle themselves, if they have food, they will thrive, if they run out of food, they will fade. so long as they are thriving it means they are eating something, and thats a good thing. theres no drawback to them at all.
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 2:05 PM   #15
ares ares is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,790
City: Alpharetta
State: GA
thats pretty much it. some say through diligent quarentine you can keep it from ever being introduced... I dont think I believe this, but I cant disprove it either. one of those things that is true untill they get ich, and then because they got ich, they must not have quarentined well enough... so its kind of a circle.

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 2:11 PM   #16
ga_daisy ga_daisy is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 467
City: Monticello
State: GA
Occupation: Executive Traffic Coordinator
Other Interests: Full time college student
Wow....well I just learned something. For whatever reason, I've always thought that cleaner shrimp would help with ich.

Thanks for clearing that up....


Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 5:28 PM   #17
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
Sparky - I just happen to have a fish trap in my tank right now with food in it for 3 days, didnt catch my fish but just saw hundreds of amphipods in the trap on the food - I can trap em up if you want to come and get them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsparky View Post
I so wish I had a bunch of pods...I find a few in my filter sock whenever I change it out, and dump them back in the tank, but I never really see them around in the tank.

CJ
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 6:37 PM   #18
06Strom 06Strom is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 34
City: Marietta
State: GA
Self serving post about my own post.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...ght=marine+ich

If you read nothing else on there, read the first article from WetWetMedia. It's relatively short, easy to read, and correct.

Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 8:14 PM   #19
gnashty gnashty is offline
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member
 
gnashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 3,487
City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Occupation: Ice Cream Warlord
Other Interests: Movies, PS3, Travel
read a couple days ago - good stuff. thanks for posting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Strom View Post
Self serving post about my own post.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...ght=marine+ich

If you read nothing else on there, read the first article from WetWetMedia. It's relatively short, easy to read, and correct.
__________________
180 mixed reef - TOTM May 2011

Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 users and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB - Copepods Amphipods and Rotifers to start a culture KevinStan Want to Buy 2 10-28-2009 9:02 PM
WTB Amphipods & Copepods ddowns Drygoods & Livestock 3 02-28-2009 12:58 AM
amphipods dont know what to do blind1993 Reef Discussion 7 12-14-2008 2:21 PM
WTB: Copepods!!! goldenmacman Want to Buy 16 11-05-2008 10:04 PM
WTB: Copepods Guest Want to Buy 4 03-14-2006 1:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2014, Atlanta Reef Club, Inc.