Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Reef Discussion
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 11-22-2009, 9:36 PM   #1

City: Sylvester
State: GA
November pic of the month.

Could someone tell me what kind of fish that is it looks like a tang if so what kind of tang is it? thanks.

Old 11-22-2009, 9:44 PM   #2

City: Clarkesville
Chevron Tang

Old 11-23-2009, 1:53 AM   #3
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Valdosta
Other Interests: Resto work
Yep chevron. Darren what's new man?
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again

Old 11-23-2009, 8:26 AM   #4
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Marietta
Other Interests: ARC Breeders Club
Send a message via AIM to bobz
That's my Chevron Tang. I picked it up as a very small juvenile a little over a year ago. It has done great in my tank. I have a medium sized Yellow Tang and a larger Hippo Tang in my 210 with the Chevron. I was afraid when I added it, it would be too small and get beat up the other two tangs but there has never been any aggression. Iwas very lucky, this fish has eaten just about anything I put in the tank, and is a big grazer. I feed Nori a couple times a week and mostly a combination of Mysis and Rod's food. It has done well so far and has gotten fairly large. As juveniles, the coloring is very vivid and striking, then they tend to fade a bit as they grow older.

Old 11-23-2009, 9:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Yep chevron. Darren what's new man?

Not much. So how is eveything going out your way? I just seen the POTM and I really like that tang so I will see if I can get seaview aquariums to get me one. I need some new fish anyway I got a copper band two weeks ago and he didn't make it. Do you think that chevron tang will do ok with a sail fin tang?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Alpharetta
Chevron and Sailfin are different genus so they should be ok. What size tank is it?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdude View Post
Chevron and Sailfin are different genus so they should be ok. What size tank is it?

Its a 120 gallon with about 150 lbs of live rock. I do have a lavender tang thats with my sail fin and i guess i will have to let him go. I don't see them two getting along at all.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Alpharetta
Lavender is Ctenochaetus nigrofuscus and Chevron is Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis. I agree they wont get along since they are the same genus.

Old 11-23-2009, 2:06 PM   #9
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Roswell
Other Interests: Snow Skiing, Scuba, Photography
Send a message via ICQ to mojo Send a message via AIM to mojo Send a message via MSN to mojo
Just be aware that Chevron tangs are expensive ($150-ish for a small one) and seem to be pretty delicate. I consider myself a fairly advanced reefer, and have lost two in the past year trying to keep them. You may have better luck than I did, but do be aware of what you're getting into with Chevron tangs. Having said that, they are beautiful fish...

Old 11-23-2009, 2:20 PM   #10
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Marietta
Other Interests: ARC Breeders Club
Send a message via AIM to bobz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Just be aware that Chevron tangs are expensive ($150-ish for a small one) and seem to be pretty delicate. I consider myself a fairly advanced reefer, and have lost two in the past year trying to keep them. You may have better luck than I did, but do be aware of what you're getting into with Chevron tangs. Having said that, they are beautiful fish...

wow. I got really lucky with mine if Chris had trouble with this fish. Glad I did not know that before I added mine to the tank, I would have been even MORE worried about it!

Old 11-23-2009, 2:44 PM   #11

City: Cleveland
Hi Darren,

I actually grew up in Sylvester and Albany. My family still lives there and I visit often. We moved to TN about 6 years ago. I bought a Chevron Tang about 3 months ago now and he is doing just great in my 120. I have a Desjardian (SP)SailFin Tang in with him and they get along fine. My guy was also really really small think about the size of a quarter when I got him and I was worried a bit about the SailFin since she is considerably larger than him. However, they have been fine and my Chevron is about the size of a half dollar now. I will agree they are pretty exp though I was able to get mine for about 125. but they run about 150. and I have seen them as much as 200. I was lucky that the I got mine from the same person I got my SailFin from. She knew I wanted one and when she was able to get her hands on 3 for a decent price she priced them at 139 for a sale but then gave me an extra discount due to a function we were having at thier establishment. However when you consider that it took a 3 hour drive to get to him in Lawrenceburg TN I still paid about 150. lol

Good Luck
Stacey

Old 11-23-2009, 3:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchinSmurchin View Post
Hi Darren,

I actually grew up in Sylvester and Albany. My family still lives there and I visit often. We moved to TN about 6 years ago. I bought a Chevron Tang about 3 months ago now and he is doing just great in my 120. I have a Desjardian (SP)SailFin Tang in with him and they get along fine. My guy was also really really small think about the size of a quarter when I got him and I was worried a bit about the SailFin since she is considerably larger than him. However, they have been fine and my Chevron is about the size of a half dollar now. I will agree they are pretty exp though I was able to get mine for about 125. but they run about 150. and I have seen them as much as 200. I was lucky that the I got mine from the same person I got my SailFin from. She knew I wanted one and when she was able to get her hands on 3 for a decent price she priced them at 139 for a sale but then gave me an extra discount due to a function we were having at thier establishment. However when you consider that it took a 3 hour drive to get to him in Lawrenceburg TN I still paid about 150. lol

Good Luck
Stacey
Thats cool Glad to see that im not the only one from sly town thats got a reef tank . well the next time that your this way let me know we might can do some tradeing. Has far as the price go's im not worried about that Ben and Larry are great guys at seaview. I help them in the store when I can and I just take home what I want for helping them and take them stuff that they dont have in the store that I get from different places. so theres really never no money exchanged. Thank god cause I would never have any money LOL.

Old 11-23-2009, 3:33 PM   #13
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Valdosta
Other Interests: Resto work
Nice. What's the other store over there called? The one that was an old house. I can never remember.
And Sylvester- best Dairy Queen in the world
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again

Old 11-23-2009, 3:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Nice. What's the other store over there called? The one that was an old house. I can never remember.
And Sylvester- best Dairy Queen in the world
Atlas aquariums. You got that right the best Dairy queen in the world.

Old 11-24-2009, 6:02 PM   #15

City: Cleveland
Lol, that is funny because hubby's number one complaint about living here is the Dairy Queen doesn't hold a candle to the one in Sylvester. When we lived in Albany we used to go to Fish and More all the time. We only had freshwater at the time and actually considered bying that store when the older couple that owned it decided it was time to retire to the beach. I haven't actually been in the store since its been under new ownership not even sure it's still there. I would imagine LFS are hard to come by in that area. I know here we have 3 but they are small. I love being able to drive to ATL for a day of LFS browsing.

Old 11-24-2009, 6:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchinSmurchin View Post
Lol, that is funny because hubby's number one complaint about living here is the Dairy Queen doesn't hold a candle to the one in Sylvester. When we lived in Albany we used to go to Fish and More all the time. We only had freshwater at the time and actually considered bying that store when the older couple that owned it decided it was time to retire to the beach. I haven't actually been in the store since its been under new ownership not even sure it's still there. I would imagine LFS are hard to come by in that area. I know here we have 3 but they are small. I love being able to drive to ATL for a day of LFS browsing.
It is funny you don't know how many times I go somewhere and someone ask were im from and I tell them Sylvester and thats the next thing out of there mouth best Dairy Queen in the world. As far as Fish and More it Seaview Aquariums now. witch is alot better to me they keep the store full. If your down this way stop by and check them out. they have alot of coral. I help them all the time. so I might be there.