Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Member Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 06-18-2009, 9:42 PM   #1

City: Alpharetta
State: GA
Ron's 90gal Reef Build

Here are my intentions: (I thought I already posted this, but couldn't find it)

I'd like to start (or is it develop) a mixed reef tank that is relatively easy to keep clean (i've got a touch of OCD) and here's what I'm starting with:

*60X18X20 glass tank with overflow boxes in the corners (Durso type standpipes, return lines with lockline)
*AMiracle ProLine 2000 trickle filter that has been Frankenstein'd that I'm probably going to use later as a frag tank
*30SF of 3/16" acrylic that will become my sump with refugium (magically?)
*Fluval 404 canister filter
*Aquanetics UV sterilizer (needs a new lamp - will replace starter also)
*Several powerheads for circulation in the tank
*Berlin Classic Skimmer with pump
*Blue Line 40HD-X external pump (when I first plugged it in it was frozen)
*Canopy for the unit contains 2 MH lamps and 4 T12 HO fluorescents with actenic bulbs and 3 LED moon lights.. (I'll be modifying the height of the canopy skirt to get the MH's up off the water more)
*Aquanetics Chiller 1/5HP inline with controller
*Base cabinet to hide all this stuff...

-newly acquired KNOP C Ca reactor and 6 stage RO/DI (by the way, Nice to meet you Loren and Jon)

I got all this stuff on trade from a buddy at work, it was used (from a guy that owned a LFS) and for the most part it all runs well and I was able to clean it up (I'd never torn apart a magnetic water pump before, but it too, after a cleaning is running properly)..

In the end: I want a setup that's relatively low maintenance, easy to wipe down and keep clean, and efficient..

Future purchases will be:
Regulator and Tank for the Ca Reactor
Controller to automate as much of the process as possible for a budget

__________________________________________________ ____________

Today was the first day in weeks that I was able to work on the stand a little. All the hardware was corroded and rusted and the particular hinge took me about a week of searching to find (I didn't know what the name was for that type of hinge and it was impossible to describe to someone - see below) MRS Rbredding wanted the knobs to match the rest of the furniture in the office, and I'm happy with the hinge color, since you can see them, I like that they are darker to blend in better

I got the old hardware off, had a bit of mortising to do in order to get the new hinges to fit, but everything came together nicely. Here are the pics, pretty self explanatory..

I also got the cherry plywood ripped to the correct width so I could start planning the canopy raise... (I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the "before" shots
Attached Pictures
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 1a.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	17553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 2a.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	17554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 3a.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	17555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 4a.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	17556  

Name:	Door 5a.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	17557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 6a.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	17558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door 7a.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	17559  

Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #2

City: Norwalk
State: oh
Other Interests: Family
This is gonna be a nice build!!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #3

Nice Ron. I've got a regulator when you are in the area.

Old 06-19-2009, 7:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenK View Post
Nice Ron. I've got a regulator when you are in the area.
HAHA

guess I should have asked you about it earlier... PM or email me the info when you've got the time

Old 06-19-2009, 7:37 AM   #5

Here are a couple shots of what I have to work with that were sent to me before I traded for the tank..(the canopy is upside down on the stand) I've already stripped all the lighting out of the canopy and tested everything.. the Actinics are wired in series and I think i've got a bulb out because they will flash but won't fire... the ballast is a icecap 660 and it's in very good shape. I'm going to pick up 4 new bulbs on the way home tonight and see if I can get them going..

The main reason for raising the skirt is to get the MH lamps higher off the water (right now they are about 4" off the water - I'd like them between 6"-8")

I'm also trying to figure out a canopy design that will enable me to access the canopy AND have the tank lit with lights.. right now, when you pick up the top lid, you're blinded by the lights and the tank is dark..

I'm thinking about spinning it around and modifying everything so that the front 4" of the canopy will flip up like a box top..
we'll see... (any suggestions of designs you've seen work?)
Attached Pictures

Name:	AQ-01sm.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	17563   Click image for larger version

Name:	AQ-02sm.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	17564   Click image for larger version

Name:	AQ-03.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	17565  

Old 06-19-2009, 9:15 AM   #6

City: Cumming
Other Interests: Forced Induction and High Octane
That looks to be a very nice stand. Should turn out well (but most OCD projects usually do).

That's a really thin canopy too for MH. IF you could raise the height enough to give you some raised panel flip up doors that might give you enough flexibility to do feeding and minor maintenance.

Equally nice to meet you. If you ever need help or extra set of hands feel free to call.

Old 06-19-2009, 5:17 PM   #7
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Watkinsville
I really like your stand. I was going to stain mine, but Im too lazy to strip the paint off.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #8

I setup the RO/DI station in the laundry room this morning.. I was disappointed to find out that HD didn't carry compression fittings (only the pushlock type) I'm sure it'll be fine, I had to Y off the cold water washing machine valve and then reduce to 3/8" so I could use the valve that came with the "sink adapter"..

first time there was a leak that wouldn't stop no matter how much I torqued it, I disassembled it and removed/replaced the teflon tape... no leak now..

MAN does it just trickle out... seemed to take about 40 mins to get 1.5 gal...

maybe I'll just buy my water for the initial setup from a fish store...

Now I'm trying to decide.. Canopy or Sump.... which one is next (maybe a trip to the pool)
Attached Pictures

Name:	RO-DI 02a.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	17598   Click image for larger version

Name:	RO-DI 03a.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	17599   Click image for larger version

Name:	RO-DI 04a.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	17600  

Old 06-21-2009, 8:33 PM   #9

YAY ME...
I got to start on the canopy today, first order was deconstructing the original (which was glued and screwed together) I'm going to keep the top pretty much as is, only I'm gonna flip it around so that I can take advantage of where the top is hinged currently. you can see in the picture of my sketch (it was quick and dirty) my plan for the canopy.

after removing all the screws and using a hammer and putty knife to free up the glue joint (thank goodness whoever built the stand didn't use a real wood glue, this stuff separated rather easily). I had already ripped the skirt boards to the approximate width, so today I cut them to the approximate length. It took a while because I only have a circular saw at my shop. This evening I was at my parents house and I finished installing the recall guard and new fence on my radial arm saw (dad has a bigger shop, so all the big stuff is at his place).

After the top was completely removed from the skirt, I clumsily knocked the top off of the workbench, when it hit the ground, it bent all four butt hinges. I'll be purchasing more of those this week
As well as purchasing some marine spar varnish to waterproof the bottom of the base cabinet (my goal is to create a "tub" floor that will have a drain in it to expel any overflow that may occur - 90 gallons of water in the office/foyer will probably earn me a divorce...)

Anyway, let me know what you think about the design/intent of the canopy, there's still plenty of time to modify it..

I've also included a couple pictures at the end of the original skirt of the canopy sitting on the tank (showing the corner and intersection details that I'll have to replicate in order to get the same fit)
Attached Pictures

Name:	Canopy 01a.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	17612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy 02a.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	17613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy 05a.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	17615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy 03a.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	17616  

Name:	Canopy 10a.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	17623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy 14a.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	17624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy 08a.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	17625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopy 09a.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	17626  

Last edited by Rbredding; 06-21-2009 at 8:41 PM.

Old 07-02-2009, 6:54 AM   #10

OK, so it's been a while since I had the opportunity to work on the stand and aquarium, but I've got some more time now (got laid off Thursday).

About the stand...

I've really wanted to make the stand so it could hold a couple gallons of water and give me a head start on fixing a problem, should one occur. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to drain the canopy to the outside of my house so I can hopefully keep the floor of the office dry..

Last night I put the first (of two) coats of Kilz exterior oil based primer down on the interior of the stand. after I get the second one on this morning, and after it dries, I'll silicone all the wood to wood joints to help "keep everything inside"..

the white will make it easier to identify and wipe down any spills/leaks, and hopefully the hole in the back will let most of the water drain out the back wall to the side yard (even if it doesn't keep the office completely dry, maybe it'll keep 90gallons from being on the floor)

Here are some pictures..
Attached Pictures

Name:	P7010180.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	17821   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7010182.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	17822   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7010184.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	17823   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7010185.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	17824  

Name:	P7010186.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	17825  

Old 07-02-2009, 7:46 AM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member (formerly vista)
ARC Member

City: Smyrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbredding View Post
I setup the RO/DI station in the laundry room this morning.. I was disappointed to find out that HD didn't carry compression fittings (only the pushlock type) I'm sure it'll be fine, I had to Y off the cold water washing machine valve and then reduce to 3/8" so I could use the valve that came with the "sink adapter"..

first time there was a leak that wouldn't stop no matter how much I torqued it, I disassembled it and removed/replaced the teflon tape... no leak now..

MAN does it just trickle out... seemed to take about 40 mins to get 1.5 gal...

maybe I'll just buy my water for the initial setup from a fish store...

Now I'm trying to decide.. Canopy or Sump.... which one is next (maybe a trip to the pool)
this is very cool setup. I would copy this setup when I get RO/DI system. 40 mins to get 1.5 gal.... it was too long

Old 07-02-2009, 9:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista View Post
this is very cool setup. I would copy this setup when I get RO/DI system. 40 mins to get 1.5 gal.... it was too long
it seemed long to me too... I just checked it again and filled up a 5gal bucket in a little over 1.5hrs..

so I'm somewhere around 70-80 gallons/day..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #13

City: Cumming
Other Interests: Forced Induction and High Octane
That rate on the RO/DI sounds about right. My 75 GPD does about a gallon in 30 minutes. Over 2 hours for sure to fill my 5 gallon jug.

I also located the receipt for the filters if you want it. They were bought in March and installed before I got the unit. Sorry about the leak too

Old 07-02-2009, 1:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboyb View Post
That rate on the RO/DI sounds about right. My 75 GPD does about a gallon in 30 minutes. Over 2 hours for sure to fill my 5 gallon jug.

I also located the receipt for the filters if you want it. They were bought in March and installed before I got the unit. Sorry about the leak too
yes, the filter receipt would be great (if you can scan - email it even better)
The leak was my fault.. all in connections that I purchased and installed. The system, as I got it from you, works great..

Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #15

City: Hephzibah
pause on using silicone against the interior of your base cabinet. Look at an acrylic latex caulk (white lighting). Silicone will release from the wood over time, the acrylic latex will not. Add that paint will not adhere to silicone, and you get the picture.

Old 07-03-2009, 1:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
pause on using silicone against the interior of your base cabinet. Look at an acrylic latex caulk (white lighting). Silicone will release from the wood over time, the acrylic latex will not. Add that paint will not adhere to silicone, and you get the picture.
I've got both (Latex and Silicone) I wanted something that wouldn't harden over time and crack (which has happened to me more than once with a Latex caulk...

what about a urethane ?

Old 07-03-2009, 3:31 PM   #17

Can't comment on urethane, but siliconized latex should work without cracking. White Lightning has a 20 or 25 yr warranty, I'd think that'd be sufficient for use on a stand.

Old 07-03-2009, 5:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
Can't comment on urethane, but siliconized latex should work without cracking. White Lightning has a 20 or 25 yr warranty, I'd think that'd be sufficient for use on a stand.
that's what I'm saying.. white lightning doesn't work for me.. in almost every application I've used it (caulking wood trim or built in casework) it shrinks up and leaves open cracks in a joint within 3 months..

Old 07-03-2009, 5:06 PM   #19

I gotta ask, are you letting it dry 24 hours first? I've used the stuff for many years on painting projects and home improvement stuff and have yet to have an issue.
You do have to tool in all caulking and sealants, either with a finger or cake decorating knife also.

Old 07-03-2009, 5:46 PM   #20

I've used my finger and caulk tooling knives.. I'm not saying that White Lightning doesn't have it's uses.. I'm just looking for something to form a watertight seal, and I'm not impressed with it's ability to do that.. I was planning on using mildew resistant paintable silicone caulk.