Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > The Lounge
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 02-20-2007, 4:55 PM   #1

City: Alpharetta
State: GA
Cheap Live Rock

I am not sure about the etiquette on posting non-sponsor threads, but since I am not affiliated with them and it seems like a great deal. Here it is:

http://www.etropicals.com/product/pr...41&pCatId=1359

They have 15lbs of Caribbean for $41 including shipping if I did my math right. I don't know if there is a limit or not, but that is a pretty good price at around $2.75 per pound and in small quantities.

Old 02-20-2007, 5:05 PM   #2
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Austell
this forum is all about sharing knowledge to all wether it be thu sponsors or self knowledge. Thanks for that heads up, def going to let my bud know whos setting up his 135.

Old 02-20-2007, 5:10 PM   #3

On some forums, sponsers are told they are the only ones that will get "for sale" threads and non-sponser threads will be deleted. I wasn't sure if this was the case or not.

Old 02-20-2007, 5:30 PM   #4

City: Dalton
If you guys want to jump on this deal it ends thursday.

Shipping is per box

20.85 two day
23.85 two day

Just thought I would give you guys the info I just called them. I'm setting up two nanos so I'll be jumping on this dea.

Old 02-20-2007, 5:33 PM   #5

Do you know if there is a limit? You could put 100lbs of rock in a tank pretty cheap with this deal and Carib rock is very nice IMO.

Old 02-20-2007, 5:37 PM   #6

I don't think there is. you can always call and ask I said that I needed 4 boxes and the lady on the other end didn't say anything about a limit. As much as live rock is this is a great deal just got to remeber that its smaller pieces intended for nano's but its flat so it should work well for bases of other rock structure.

Old 02-20-2007, 5:38 PM   #7

Good point... never even occured to me it would be 15lbs of small rock. DOH!

Old 02-20-2007, 5:39 PM   #8
ARC Sponsor

City: Duluth
State: Ga
Speaking of rock, I've been looking for a place to buy lots of base rock to turn them into live rock. I was told by a few people that hirocks.com have the best price in the country. I've been checking their site but it has been shut down. Did they move or rename their site? Doesn't anyone have information on a place to get some decent price on base rock?

Old 02-20-2007, 5:43 PM   #9

Cheapest rock I know of is DIY rock which is simply cement and rock salt. I think it can be made for under 50 cents per pound and in practically any shapes you like.

Old 02-20-2007, 5:43 PM   #10

they are 3-8 inches in size. I'm thinking about buying 3-4 boxes for base. and then some nicer rock to throw on top since its they say its mostly flat. anybody ever order Caribbean Live Rock from fosters and smith? and remeber this stuff isn't "precured" so four weeks of emptying the skimmer for me when I get it.

Old 02-21-2007, 4:24 AM   #11

I found a person on ebay that's not too bad. even with shipping it ends up about 3 bucks a pound. I will tell you that they are in the orlanda area and you just need to get ground shipping that's how its so cheap. Its just two day delivery guaranteed either way. they say they cure the rock for 2 weeks before they ship it. If anyone is interested here is the item number

Old 02-22-2007, 4:42 PM   #12

City: Scottdale
I also jumped in on the deal - 15lbs for $40, there is not much to lose. Also I was researching on the DIY rock using cement and aragonite sand. The good thing is it's completely clean of pests and you can mold it into any shape of your choice. The bad thing is the artificial live rock doesn't have any buffering capacity, and of course, being clean, it's devoid of the bio diversity.

Thank you, Cameron

-Jean

Last edited by JJW; 02-22-2007 at 4:48 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 1:52 PM   #13

City: Roswell
ReeferRocks or something like that is high quality base rock. It is not cheap base rock but it does look really nice. You can google that and maybe also Capt Jer is the guys name. I got some to put in my 120g tank. You cannot tell what rocks were originally base and which were from Marshall Islands after 6 months to a year. If you look really hard you can find lots of Base Rock in South FL if you are driving. They have literally piles of it excavated during construction. Best of all it is free... (you just got to be quick).

Old 02-27-2007, 6:04 PM   #14

City: Atlanta
Other Interests: Jeep, Beef, Beer & REEF!
I second reeferrocks... I have some in my tank and they look great. As for buying live rocks over the net, I would try to look for references on the web before buying them. If you want just cheap rocks, then any place would do. If you want good rocks, the cheapest may not always be the best.

See blog post: http://reefinabox.blogspot.com/2006/...rnational.html