Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > The Lounge
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 01-25-2007, 2:42 PM   #1

City: Stone Mountain
State: GA
Other Interests: Family, coaching kids basketball, NFL, running & now nano-reefs!
Send a message via AIM to Mtnclimbers5 Send a message via MSN to Mtnclimbers5
ING Georgia Marathon

Any runners in here preparing for the ING in March? I'm in the hard stage of the training and just wanted to share the pain with any others. This is my 1st full marathon though I've run several half's!

Old 01-25-2007, 6:21 PM   #2
2008 BoD Member

City: Alpharetta
Send a message via AIM to tsciarini Send a message via MSN to tsciarini Send a message via Yahoo to tsciarini
I bet I can run faster than you.......... to the bathroom.

Old 01-25-2007, 6:23 PM   #3
2008 BoD Member

Send a message via AIM to tsciarini Send a message via MSN to tsciarini Send a message via Yahoo to tsciarini
On a serious note I'm in the VERY early stages of training for a Triathalon.
(Any tri-ers out there please contact me... I need some decent training programs.)

Old 01-25-2007, 8:18 PM   #4

Other Interests: Family, coaching kids basketball, NFL, running & now nano-reefs!
First triathalon?

Old 01-25-2007, 8:26 PM   #5
2008 BoD Member

Yeah... I've competitively participated in all three sports separately, figured now was the time to finally put them all together.
Obviously starting out with a Sprint Tri: 1/2mile swim, 12.4mile bike, 3.1mile run.
May up to an Olympic Triathlon after a year or two if it sticks (1/24.8/10.2) but I'd honestly rather be competitive in a Sprint rather than go for the distance of an Olympic.

Old 01-25-2007, 8:39 PM   #6

City: lawrenceville
I run 10k's. Thats all i will do. P.B 53.49, buckhead sizzler.

Old 01-26-2007, 7:57 AM   #7

If you run a 10K this well than a half-marathon would not be much of a step up. I would recommend you try one!! Typically the longest training run you do for a half is 10 miles, you would be surprised how easy it is to get there from 6.1!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lporcello
I run 10k's. Thats all i will do. P.B 53.49, buckhead sizzler.

Old 01-28-2007, 3:05 PM   #8

Before I moved up here i was running a lot but now its hard to find the time with working nights, and a place since i'm new and don't know where anything is. I would love to run a half marathon maybe next year. Hope to maybe do a few 5&10K's this spring and summer. Where is the best place to find out about small local races?

Old 01-28-2007, 3:28 PM   #9

City: Sugar Hill
Other Interests: Triathlons, hiking, camping, mtn. biking
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsciarini
On a serious note I'm in the VERY early stages of training for a Triathalon.
(Any tri-ers out there please contact me... I need some decent training programs.)
I got into triathlons a couple years ago- I swam for UGA, so I had the hardest part mastered. My first triathlon of the season will be in April (an Xterra event- I love mtn. biking so I wanted to give that a try.) I've got a very good training book that covers everything from how and when to train, nutrition, everything. You're more than welcome to borrow it if you like. I could send it with my wife to the Feb. meeting (I'll be out of town for work that week.) Just let me know

Old 01-28-2007, 8:39 PM   #10
2008 BoD Member

That'd be awesome Bryan! I swam the in HS and my first year of college but haven't been in the pool since... I think it will take me a while before I'm comfortable in the water again. When I raced bikes I never thought it was hard; something tells me that the first time I get out of the water and jump in the seat, I'm going to get slapped with reality. My running at this point has been moderate but I'm lacking in endurance. Hopefully your book will get me on track... I'd love to do my first tri this summer.

Old 01-28-2007, 8:57 PM   #11

City: Sugar Hill
Other Interests: Triathlons, hiking, camping, mtn. biking
No problem! I hate that I'm going to miss the Feb. meeting, but my loving wife has agreed to go in my stead- so I'll have her bring the book. If I have any advice to offer, it's A) do plenty of bricks well before you first race (i.e. biking followed by a run)- that's the only thing that will prepare your legs for the transition (they'll still feel like rubber for the first half mile), and B) do some open water swimming. Swimming in a lake is nothing like a pool- there're no nice lines to keep you tracking straight and no walls every 25 yards.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure you'll do great. Have you picked out a race yet? The Tri the Parks series of races are really well organized- I will definitely do them again. Check out active.com for registration. Also, where are you swimming? I recently moved to Sugar Hill and I've got to find a new pool.

Old 01-28-2007, 9:08 PM   #12
2008 BoD Member

I have an LA Fitness membership now so once I start, I'll be using their pools. Ive been going to a couple different locations these past few weeks.

Old 01-31-2007, 9:19 AM   #13

City: Marietta
Other Interests: SCUBA, water sports, Golf, and of cours...REEFs
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Send a message via Skype™ to Kevin
I can help you with the training. I swam with some Triathletes in college and our physiologist designed a good training program for them. They were IRONMAN triatheletes (nuts)...

Old 01-31-2007, 7:55 PM   #14

City: Loganville
I'm running the Atlanta Marathon in March. I just got done with a 6 mile run tonight. Its bloody cold!

Old 02-01-2007, 8:17 AM   #15

Glad to see another ARC member running this event, I have an 18-miler planned for my long run on Saturday and I'm starting to stress over it just a bit. I typically run very early so it will likely be a long, cold 3 hours along the DeKalb PATH system!! If you see some guy gassing out on the trail Saturday morning as your going for coffee, that's probably me

Old 02-10-2007, 4:58 AM   #16

City: Atlanta
Other Interests: Scuba Diving, Working Out, Traveling, Gambling
Send a message via AIM to mike17kb
I am thinking about running the marathon or doing a half if it is open in March.

I am currently training for the May 12 half iron man triathlon in Panama City, 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run. If anyone is up for long run training or long bike rides please let me know.

I swim at Dynamo and am about to join their Masters/Triathlete program again to help me actually get back in the water.