Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > The Lounge
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 12-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Alpharetta
State: GA
GA Leash Law info needed

I have an issue with a neighbor that just lets their dog run around in my fathers yard and the owners never have the dog on a leash. I almost ran over the dog backing down my driveway because it was in my yard which is two houses down from the owners. The owner had the gaw to yell at me saying I almost killed her dog and I ignored her knowing she would never listen to any reasoning I would use. I am curious as to where the leash laws are written and what they state. I have searched for a while but I am only finding statute for vicious dogs. Can someone point me in the direction of the laws in GA?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #2

City: Conyers
Other Interests: PS3, Nissan Primera P10
Send a message via AIM to Kirru Send a message via Yahoo to Kirru Send a message via Skype™ to Kirru
I'd call handle on the law with Bill Handle on saturdays on WSB750 News Talk Radio... he might could get you a straight answer.

Finding laws on-line is near impossible. Or call the sheriff's in which the incident(s) take place.

Or if you know a local police officer ash them.

Thats the best I can give you. I usually just call or ask my many police friends.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
ARC Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Suwanee
Other Interests: Diving, Motorcycles...
Animal Control would know. And they'd be more than happy to handle it for you

Old 12-26-2008, 1:01 PM   #4

City: Woodstock
Local PD and Animal Control will be able to tell you. In Cherokee Co., they use the Local PD to enforce the Animal Control issues (budgets, I guess...) Anyway, they might also be willing to send someone out to talk to the folks too, without writing them up or causing a problem. Matter of fact, I'm going to check Animal Control on line to see if maybe they have the leash law posted. I'll report back if I find it.

Old 12-26-2008, 1:05 PM   #5

Here you go Charlie. Scroll down to section 10-11.

http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=10572&sid=10

Old 12-26-2008, 1:22 PM   #6
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Thanks for the link Barbara! I probably will give a cop friend a phone call.......

Old 12-26-2008, 2:38 PM   #7

City: Bethlehem
Cobb county oridnance codes will be different from Athens-Clark County. Here is a link to your local animal control. http://www.athensclarkecounty.com/an...trol/index.htm

Old 12-26-2008, 2:40 PM   #8

City: Marietta
I would go and talk to talk to the neighbor. People can be irrational in the moment, but the family would likely listen in another context. You are in the right and the problem should be easy to solve.

I have great relationships with my neighbors, even the terrible ones. Building good relationships is difficult, and their will be bad moments, but it really pays in the long term. The meanest person in our neighborhood has saved the day on more than one occasion.

Happy holidays.

-Charles

Old 12-26-2008, 6:06 PM   #9
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanreefer124 View Post
Cobb county oridnance codes will be different from Athens-Clark County. Here is a link to your local animal control. http://www.athensclarkecounty.com/an...trol/index.htm
Haha its actually neither. Its Johns Creek formerly Alpharetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliscum View Post
I would go and talk to talk to the neighbor. People can be irrational in the moment, but the family would likely listen in another context. You are in the right and the problem should be easy to solve.

I have great relationships with my neighbors, even the terrible ones. Building good relationships is difficult, and their will be bad moments, but it really pays in the long term. The meanest person in our neighborhood has saved the day on more than one occasion.

Happy holidays.

-Charles

My father is in charge of the home owners assoc and has talked to them. They are the only family in the neighborhood renting the house (LONG story) so they are less then willing to talk and basically tell him to buzz off in not so friendly terms. Its going to come down to the law being used because they just don't care.

Old 12-26-2008, 6:12 PM   #10

FWIW, the cobb county website I posted says that it enforces the georgia state laws concerning animal control, so I believe that the codes listed there are state law; not specifically cobb county.

Old 12-26-2008, 6:15 PM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Yeah the leash law should be a state statute that the counties enforce.

Old 12-26-2008, 6:28 PM   #12

Well Charlie, I may have been wrong. I did a little more searching and found a statement under GA law that said some city or county ordinances may be stronger than state laws, and in those cases, the stronger law prevailed. In addition, I found a site that talks about leash laws by state, and indicated Georgia does not have a specific leash law. Therefore, it would be up to the city/county.

Johns Creek is complicated because it branched off recently. For now, Johns Creek Animal control is farmed out to Fulton County. Fulton County doesn't have specific leash laws either, but the City of Alpharetta does. The City of Alpharetta leash law is similar to the Cobb County ordinance I posted earlier.

Because this is Johns Creek, it looks like it might be complicated to enforce. However, I would suspect that you could get it done; you just might have to jump through a couple of hoops, in the form of City or County workers, to find the right person.

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2008, 6:37 PM   #13
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Ill just use the City of Alpharetta ones. They wont know all the background behind this stuff. They rent!

Old 12-26-2008, 7:01 PM   #14

City: Auburn
State: AL
Other Interests: Autos, guns, beverages
I rememer what my dad did with our old neighbors. They would open their front door, and their dog would run across the street, do its business in our yard, then run back across the street to his home yard, all while the owner stood in the doorway watching. My dad asked the neighbor to stop allowing their dog to do that, and they ignored him. He even went to the HOA because the "spots" looked terrible on the yard and could potentially "devalue all houses on the street", but paying a few dollars in fines didn't stop the neighbor. So for over a year, my dad collected the "stuff" and put it in a trash can in our back yard at the bottom of a hill so it was out of site/mind/smell. About once a month he would video tape the dog doing its business in order to show it was a regular occurence.

Well, one night, the neighbors were having a party. My dad thought it was about time to remind them of their laziness/disrespect. He put the trash can in front of the neighbor's door and tipped it over so everything was contained, then tied the handle of the can to the neighbor's front door, and left a CD w/ video of the recordings on top of the can. Then he rang the bell...the neighbors, expecting more guests, opened the door (and they had to pull hard to lift the handle of the can) and pulled a trash can full of dog sh!t all over their entryway. The neighbor went to the HOA to try and collect damages, and after reviewing video/complaints, they ruled that my dad was just returning their legal property. Sweet justice...

Old 12-26-2008, 7:11 PM   #15
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Lawrenceville
Other Interests: Fly Fishing, Civil War artifacts
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I rememer what my dad did with our old neighbors. They would open their front door, and their dog would run across the street, do its business in our yard, then run back across the street to his home yard, all while the owner stood in the doorway watching. My dad asked the neighbor to stop allowing their dog to do that, and they ignored him. He even went to the HOA because the "spots" looked terrible on the yard and could potentially "devalue all houses on the street", but paying a few dollars in fines didn't stop the neighbor. So for over a year, my dad collected the "stuff" and put it in a trash can in our back yard at the bottom of a hill so it was out of site/mind/smell. About once a month he would video tape the dog doing its business in order to show it was a regular occurence.

Well, one night, the neighbors were having a party. My dad thought it was about time to remind them of their laziness/disrespect. He put the trash can in front of the neighbor's door and tipped it over so everything was contained, then tied the handle of the can to the neighbor's front door, and left a CD w/ video of the recordings on top of the can. Then he rang the bell...the neighbors, expecting more guests, opened the door (and they had to pull hard to lift the handle of the can) and pulled a trash can full of dog sh!t all over their entryway. The neighbor went to the HOA to try and collect damages, and after reviewing video/complaints, they ruled that my dad was just returning their legal property. Sweet justice...
Now that is funny!

Old 12-26-2008, 7:12 PM   #16

City: Conyers
Other Interests: PS3, Nissan Primera P10
Send a message via AIM to Kirru Send a message via Yahoo to Kirru Send a message via Skype™ to Kirru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dough View Post
Now that is funny!
+++++++1

Old 12-26-2008, 7:13 PM   #17

"I almost ran over the dog backing down my driveway because it was in my yard" and your location says Athens. So most people would have looked into Athens-Clark county. I guess everyone is worng in this.

Old 12-26-2008, 7:19 PM   #18
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Well I still refer to my fathers house as my house and my yard since my other residence is an apt and I dont have a yard. Sorry If I offended you....I appreciate the help though.

Old 12-26-2008, 7:29 PM   #19

City: Alphretta
Other Interests: Swimming
Send a message via MSN to blind1993
Charlie I got a bunch of eggs, so is it 2 to the right or left? Jk

Old 12-26-2008, 7:39 PM   #20

No offence taken. Just giving my opinion.