Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > The Lounge
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 10-16-2008, 4:59 PM   #1

City: Woodstock
State: GA
Angry Stupid foxface!

I just want to rant. My stupid 5 inch foxface is in the $(#*$*(#($* overflow! UGH!!!!!! I know the methods for attempting to get him out, but he's so big that I can't use my favorite method (which is to pull the pipe and let the fish come out the drain). I'm thinking of leaving him in there a month or so just to "think about it" so he won't do it again, but what's the size of his brain; like a pinhead or something; right? I'm just irratated. I should be relieved. At least he's not worm food, but still........ Why???? Foxfaces aren't even jumpers. UGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 5:21 PM   #2

City: Boiling Springs
State: SC
Other Interests: crafts, kites, fast cars, dogs
Send a message via Yahoo to RaisingTwo2006
At least he didn't up and die on you like my dude did..

So how are you going to get him out?

Old 10-16-2008, 5:26 PM   #3
ARC Sponsor

City: Flowery Branch
Barbara, can you put something over the overflow. I built a small box out of egg crate. Just for added measure I put plastic fiber mesh over the egg crate.

Old 10-16-2008, 5:27 PM   #4

I'm thinking of leaving him in there to see if he'll jump back out. The Lubbock's wrasse lived in there for 2 months when I thought he was dead. I can't even look at him right now, I'm so mad at him. I was working on cleaning the glass covering my MH lights, so I had the canopy up the other day. I heard this great big clunking noise, but I had no idea that stupid little bugger jumped. I went back and found no one on the floor, so I assumed I was hearing things. Then, when the lights came on later in the day, I noticed Foxy wasn't in there. I first assumed he died, but he's so big that I started looking for the body. (Plus I haven't put the serpent star back in, so there's no one to take care of the remains right now.) I couldn't find his big body, so I crawled under the tank and looked up at the bottom glass in the overflow, and there that little $#*%$&&$# was!

Old 10-16-2008, 5:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramone View Post
Barbara, can you put something over the overflow. I built a small box out of egg crate. Just for added measure I put plastic fiber mesh over the egg crate.
Yeah, I'm going to have to do that I guess. I didn't want to, 'cause that's just one more thing to clean. However, my stupid fishies keep jumping in there! Usually it's a wrasse, and I can just pull the pipe out and put the overflow drain into a bucket and the siphon washes the fish right out. But this big guy isn't going to fit down the hole. In fact, if I do pull the pipe, I'm afraid he'll get injured in the siphon action, since he would probably get sucked towards the hole without being able to fit through. I hope he will just jump back out, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen.

Old 10-16-2008, 5:43 PM   #6

City: Marietta
Other Interests: Architecture, Design, and Technology
I have been afrais to cover overflows because instead of landing in the water, there is a possibility they will just land on the eggcrate. Then the lights make jerky out of them.

Old 10-16-2008, 7:19 PM   #7

City: Rockmart
Other Interests: Movies and Video Games
Dang Barb... I hope your able to get it out without any harm to either of you.. Good luck dear.. My dragon goby loves the overflow..I have to raise the water level so he can swim back over.. Stupid fish

Old 10-16-2008, 7:34 PM   #8
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Stone Mountain
I've thought about leaving fish where they end up to teach the a lesson but they never seem to learn. Be safe and maybe just scold him or give him the look. I should have my Dad come over and give him "the look" because that look alone taught me a few lessons all by itself.

Old 10-16-2008, 8:04 PM   #9

Other Interests: Filming,RC Planes,Cars,Rollercoasters,Braves
Send a message via AIM to TriGa22
Barbara, If you need help getting him out I am near by.

Old 10-16-2008, 9:16 PM   #10

Tyler, I may have to get your or Blake to come over here this weekend and dig him out. My arms aren't long enough. Even when I climb up on the footstool I can't reach the bottom of the overflow. I think I'll have to siphon the water out of the overflow, then pull out the pipes (so that he doen't get sucked to the bottom if we let the drain-hole siphon the water out), and then you will have to reach down and get him. He's venomous, so we'll have to use the net or something. I'll call you tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #11

Other Interests: Filming,RC Planes,Cars,Rollercoasters,Braves
Send a message via AIM to TriGa22
Ok, I am leaving Saturday but I could come over today

Old 10-17-2008, 3:16 PM   #12

City: Smyrna
Other Interests: Mt. biking, scuba diving, backpacking
Send a message via AIM to CGill311
How do you go about getting the foxface out?

Extra thick puncture resistant gloves?

Old 10-17-2008, 3:52 PM   #13

I think we're going to try to net him. I have to ask Tyler to do it b/c I'm only 5'3" (on a good day), and to reach the bottom of my overflow takes someone around 6 feet tall. So I don't want to get too crazy; I have netted him before when I moved him from one tank to another.

Old 10-26-2008, 6:17 PM   #14

Yay! Tyler came over yesterday and we retrieved the foxface from the overflow. He was in there less than 2 weeks, but, unlike the wrasses, he did not fare well in the overflow. When Tyler snagged him out, he immediately dropped him into the DT again, and the Foxface hid for about 30 minutes. Once he came out and we got a look at him, he was covered with ich, and also had lost the "skin" from around his mouth(lips?), so it looked like he was showing his teeth. You could see the skin coming off his mouth. It was quite strange looking. However, the foxface was fat, and ate like a pig right away, so I had great hopes for him. Today his condition is much improved. The ich is almost all gone (in less than 24 hours!), and the skin around his mouth appears to be tightening back up. I can't believe how fast he is recovering. I'm glad I didn't leave him in there any longer though.

Old 10-26-2008, 6:40 PM   #15
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Scottdale
Other Interests: SCUBA
That's great news Barbara. I am glad that you got him out. I am even more glad that he seems to be recovering nicely! Hopefully he has learned his lesson. If they only knew that algae is NOT greener outside the tank!

Old 10-26-2008, 7:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy22 View Post
If they only knew that algae is NOT greener outside the tank!
That's a good one! He's one of my favorites and I'm so glad he's going to be okay. I was contemplating leaving him in there a long time, hoping he'd learn his lesson, but I'm glad I didn't do that. I think he was on his way to the "eternal fish tank" when we rescued him. The wrasses don't seem to be affected by spending time in the overflow, but a big fish like the foxface really didn't do well in there.