Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Reef Discussion
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 09-10-2008, 2:28 PM   #1

City: Atlanta
State: GA
How to frag a toadstool leather

I have had a toadstool leather coral (Sarcophyton sp.) for a year. It has grown larger than I'd like it to be for my tank and I'd like to reduce it in size. I've been asking and it sounds like all I need to do is slice it into a few pieces with a razor blade vertically. However, It had also become very tall and I'd like to reduce its height. May I slice it horizontally about half-way up as long as I don't cut into the cap or he base?

I'd be glad to share pieces with other members. I also have some elongated xenias that I am going to part with.

Thanks,

John

Old 09-10-2008, 2:33 PM   #2

City: Decatur
Occupation: Sales - Material Handling ( Pallet Racking New and Used), Cleaning Company
Other Interests: Buying Used Pallet Racking,Playing my Keyboard, Making Candles and Soaps
Send a message via Yahoo to Blueeyes
I would like a piece of your leather for my GARF tank please. I would be willing to pay for a large piece.

Old 09-10-2008, 3:40 PM   #3
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Mt Dora
State: Fl
John, I have cut them off at the base and had a whole new one grow from the little bit of tissue that was left on the rock, I've cut the heads off and just super glued the head on another piece of rock, and I've cut them in the middle and both pieces lived. I think you can even cut the head off and slice it like a pizza and glue the pieces to a rock. As long as it is not a Fiji Yellow, they are pretty much indestructible.

Old 09-10-2008, 5:06 PM   #4
ARC Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Suwanee
Other Interests: Diving, Motorcycles...
you can cut it whichever way you like!

Like bud said, you can pizza slice the cap for frags. If you want to shorten it, you can cut the stalk and reattach it elsewhere, but the original base will start to heal and grow too.

Old 09-10-2008, 7:15 PM   #5

City: Roswell
Unhappy

I have a leather that also that needs to be fragged. But I'm afraid to do it. My concern is the chemicals released by the pissed frags. What is that going to do to the other corals in my 144 gal? I feel like I should put the frags in my quarantine tank but am afraid a 10 gal is too small. I don't know what to do.

Old 09-10-2008, 9:17 PM   #6

City: Alphretta
Other Interests: Swimming
Send a message via MSN to blind1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by montastrea View Post
I have a leather that also that needs to be fragged. But I'm afraid to do it. My concern is the chemicals released by the pissed frags. What is that going to do to the other corals in my 144 gal? I feel like I should put the frags in my quarantine tank but am afraid a 10 gal is too small. I don't know what to do.
have you thought about doing to fragging in another tank and then putting it back in your tank after 15 min or so.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
ARC Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Suwanee
Other Interests: Diving, Motorcycles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by montastrea View Post

The leather will only emit a slime coat which won't harm anything. Don't worry about it and go ahead and frag in the display.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #8

City: Dallas
Other Interests: Backpacking, WW kayaking, baseball
Gut it up. Leathers are one of the few corals that actually dont need any of the outside tissue to heal back.