Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Reef Discussion
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 12-11-2006, 3:18 PM   #1
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Acworth
State: GA
What to do with Mantis?

OK after listening and watching for a couple of months now I finally found the source of the "clicling" in my tank. I saw a Mantis today that looks to be about 1.5 inches. It looks dark (black) with some orange or red on it. Kind of striking looking no pun intended. Anyway I will be trying to trap him (inverted bottle method) starting tonight but need some ideas on what to do when I catch him. Please keep the suggestions humane!

Old 12-11-2006, 3:26 PM   #2

City: Dacula
Take him to the LFS. Post on here free to a good home. I had 6 or 7 in my tank several years ago in Dallas and always posted when I caught one and someone was always willing to adopt them. They're quite cool but need their own place!

Old 12-11-2006, 3:41 PM   #3

City: Staunton
State: VA
I have been noticing a clicking in my tank too (like glass-on-glass) and thought it was the thermometer cut loose, but I'm starting to think it's a mantis.

What's the "inverted bottle" method?

Old 12-11-2006, 3:55 PM   #4
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Acworth
I was told to take a water bottle and cut the top (where the cap screws on) off and invert it kind of like a funnel. Then put some frozen food in the bottle and place it near where the mantis lives. They say that they can get in but not out. Do this after lights out. I will let you know if or when it works.

Old 12-11-2006, 3:56 PM   #5

City: Charlotte
State: NC
Other Interests: Motorcycles, Scenario Woodsball
Quick question....

I have heard that same sound from my reef tank. Could it be a Mantis Shrimp? If not what esle could it be?

Old 12-11-2006, 3:56 PM   #6

City: Atlanta
Why dont you just keep it? They really dont harm much in the tank, other than a couple snails or hermits. They dont really even bother those if you keep it well fed. They are very cool to watch too. If you want to get rid of him, you could go to reefcentral's mantis forum and post it up for adoption.

Old 12-11-2006, 4:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingarmy
Quick question....

I have heard that same sound from my reef tank. Could it be a Mantis Shrimp? If not what esle could it be?
Could be a mantis or it could be a pistol shrimp. Look for broken snail shells, if you find some, then its a mantis. You could try puting a piece of shrimp in there and (if nothing else eats it first) watch for the mantis to eat it (when I had one, it LOVED shrimp and would fly out of its burrow and grap the piece I put in)

Old 12-11-2006, 4:19 PM   #8
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Austell
if anything I'll take him if you get him out. Not too sure if this works for them or not, but I know it works for pods and other inverts, but take some red film, like red see thu laminate or something of that sort and cover it on a flashlight, most inverts cant see red so you can look in your tank and not have them scurry away.

Old 12-11-2006, 4:47 PM   #9

City: Staunton
State: VA
Won't mantis shrimp go after other inverts like Pepermint shrimp, cleaners, and Banded Corals? I've seen some unexplained attrition in these categories.

Old 12-11-2006, 5:05 PM   #10

City: Dawsonville
Other Interests: Jet ski Freestyle, wakeboarding, slolem skiing, reefing, boating, Dirtbiking,PHOTOGRAPHY!,Volvo's!
Send a message via AIM to Vettesarebest
sure enough i have the clicking in my tank to i probably hear it 2 or three times a day but i know it is a pistol shrimp because i have seen him so it could be either one mantis or pistol. He is pretty chill but hes only about an inch maybe less.

Old 12-11-2006, 5:22 PM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

mantis shrimp I venture will go after anything if its hungry. They tend to eat crustations, but they will go after fish.

Old 12-11-2006, 5:33 PM   #12

I had mine with 3 fish, snails and hermits and a green star. It only would go after the snails and hermits, and that is only if I hadnt fed him for a few days. They are very smart and will go after the easiest meal, so if they know you give it food, it wont waste time hunting.

One time it did go after a fish, but the fish was very sick and on the brink of death anyways (it had been involved in a rockslide and was cut down 2/3 of its body). For some reason it never killed the fish, and the fish ended up surviving.

Old 12-11-2006, 5:40 PM   #13
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

ah yes the salt heals the wounds. But to anyone who has one of these guys, i'll gladly take em off your hands if you dont want.

Old 12-11-2006, 6:40 PM   #14

City: Ball Ground
I will take him as well,ive been looking for one.

Old 12-11-2006, 6:52 PM   #15

Other Interests: bee keeping, scuba, bike riding..oh and of course my family
I had a well behaved mantis for several years. Never bothered a thing. I'm not recommending you keep it but some can be well behaved. If the bottle method does not work try taking the rock out of the tank (if this is possible) that he lives in.

Old 12-11-2006, 7:14 PM   #16
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Canton
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer
I had a well behaved mantis for several years...
Sally I know you're telling the truth, but that just sounds too "fishy"! Seems there should be an oxymoron in there somewhere! LOL

Bob

Old 12-11-2006, 7:57 PM   #17

City: Auburn
Other Interests: Computers, Guitars, Water Skiing
One of my favorite tanks was a species tank with a mantis. Next to my snowflake moray it had the most personality that I ever saw in a fish. I have another one (species tank) in the works (nothing but live rock at the moment). I would gladly take it and treat it well.

Pound for pound... The mantis shrimp may be the most feared predator that god has produced. To treat it with less respect that it has earned... it's just not right...

Of course, I have only had them when and where I was prepared

johnny

Old 12-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #18

City: Smyrna
Send a message via AIM to Showtime305 Send a message via MSN to Showtime305 Send a message via Yahoo to Showtime305
Good luck getting it out of the tank.

Old 12-12-2006, 7:49 AM   #19

City: Auburn
Other Interests: Computers, Guitars, Water Skiing
I'm sure this goes with out saying... but, don't reach in there and try and grab him..

Old 12-12-2006, 8:18 AM   #20

City: Charlotte
State: NC
Other Interests: Motorcycles, Scenario Woodsball
Well last night I did some investigating and I think mine might be a pistol shrimp. I have plenty of dead snails, but all my hermits that have died do not have any cracked shells. I heard the loud poping again right after the lights went out last night. Glad to know its not a Mantis, even though they would be an interesting livestock to keep.

But I do have a 8 inch bristleworm that I tried to capture again last night with a bottle trap and piece of shrimp. No luck, it came out for a bit but would never fully extend out of under the rock. Unless I pulled all the LR out I don't think I'll be able to get it out. Any suggestions?