Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > The Lounge
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 06-01-2008, 9:19 AM   #1

City: Woodstock
State: GA
Other Interests: Filming,RC Planes,Cars,Rollercoasters,Braves
Send a message via AIM to TriGa22
My next investment...

My friend across the street just got one for his graduation it hasnt shipped yet. I thought that they would be a good thing to drive to school, to help on gas and such. Do you know anyone that has one?
http://minipocketrockets.com/x18-r-4...r-pocket-bike/

Old 06-01-2008, 2:42 PM   #2

City: Marietta
Other Interests: Baseball
haha do you not realize how small these are?? im pretty sure they arent street legal... pocket rockets are basically toys for young teenagers..

if you have ever seen the movie "Employee of the Month" the motorcycle Dane Cook drives to work is a pocket rocket, and he is limited to the sidewalk

Old 06-01-2008, 2:46 PM   #3

City: Marietta
Other Interests: Architecture, Design, and Technology
Yeah, those are just like go carts, they are for off road only. If you want a smll bike just get a used ninja 250 or similar bike. They are cheap, look ok, and get excellent mileage. Plus, they really are fun, even if they arent up there with the big 600-1000cc dogs.

Old 06-01-2008, 6:30 PM   #4

These are not small, and they are street legal. They are classified as mopeds. These are not the normal porcket rockets that are a foot tall these are actually pretty big.

Old 06-01-2008, 6:36 PM   #5

ninja
l82
w28
h43
Pocket
l58
w26
h34

Old 06-01-2008, 6:58 PM   #6
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Charlotte
State: nc
Send a message via AIM to stickx911
.59 gal. tank? wow. Don't plan any long trips. I say go for it, I'm sure if you don't like it you could sell it off later.

Old 06-01-2008, 7:36 PM   #7

City: Maysville
Other Interests: Working and being a mom, who has time for OTHER interests?!
Send a message via Yahoo to jtshack
Tyler,

Two thoughts:

1) Check with the GA DMV before you buy this. The site says they're legal TO OWN...it doesn't say they're street legal. HUGE difference. That's not something you want to learn after the purchase.

2) Even if they are street legal, consider buying a larger motorcycle. Being so small puts you at roughly bumper level of most trucks and larger cars. Motorcycles are notorious for not being seen in time anyway - why put yourself in harm's way and stress your parents every time you hit the road? A permanent disability or fatality is not worth the gas you'll save. I completely agree with CorvetteCris that a 250cc bike makes much more sense - not because it's a bigger engine, but because it's a bigger bike and your chances of being seen by other drivers increases significantly.

You and I met at the last meeting and I know you're a smart cookie - use your head here Tyler. Even a full sized moped is a better choice than this bike. Yes, this bike is cool looking, but your safety is always more important.

Old 06-01-2008, 7:59 PM   #8

City: Dallas
Other Interests: Backpacking, WW kayaking, baseball
OK It is possible to get these registered. The trick is that they have everything to be street legal except a title. Because they come from china they come with a certificate of origin not a title. There is a ton of paperwork and hoops but it is possible to get this converted to a title in alot of states. Also for it to be considered a moped in ga it has to be 49cc or under and not capable of exceding 35mph. Another thing to consider is that that epa approval is an off-road approval needed in california not the same as a on road certification.

Old 06-01-2008, 8:06 PM   #9
Having a Blast in 2010!

City: Roswell
Other Interests: Bicycling, Hiking, Reading, Visiting Aquariums, Cross Stitching
Tyler - please think on this more carefully. While you may think that it would be cool to own, your safety is our main concern. If you read the safety section on the link, numbers 7, 9, and 10 are ones that you will have to pay careful attention to:

7 - Unless it is legal in the area you are riding, please do not ride these vehicles on public roads. Most every single one of our pocket bikes are legal to own in all 50 states; Some of our super pocket bikes may even be registered with the DMV and be ridden on public roads for transportation. Please check with your local DMV for details.

So yes, while it may be legal to own one, you must check with DMV to see if it is legal to drive it on the city, county, and state roads in the counties that you will be driving it (while it may be okay in DeKalb, it may not be okay in Fulton).

9 - If minors are riding pocket bikes, there must be adult supervision at all times. All riders must obey local and state laws as well as having complete knowledge of all safety precautions and measures.

If you are a minor, then you wouldn't be allowed to drive one of these to school and back unless your parents are with you.

10 - Do not ride pocket bikes in areas where there may be animals, people or other moving vehicles unless it is legal in your area.

Again, if there are other vehicles on the road (or people/animals), you wouldn't be able to drive it to school unless it is legal to do so.

Seriously, I am not trying to turn you away - I just don't want to see anything bad happen to you, for you are a smart youngin'.

Old 06-01-2008, 8:50 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the support. I will make sure all of it is legal. I may switch to a ninja. What is the age for a motercycle permit? How much is a ninja?

Old 06-01-2008, 8:59 PM   #11

City: Lawrenceville
hey bud, i had my first bike as a cbr600 f4i when i was 19........you can get a ninja 250 for like 4 or 5 grand brand new but there is a site called

georgiasportbike.com or .net

it is a great site just like those for GA locals that sells used bikes for VERY CHEAP!!! and they can offer a lot of help.

The thing you need to look out for is not the bike price its your insurance cost. I had statefarm and my family had homeowners insurance and life insurance and car insurance through them so i got a great deal and my driving record was spotless i was paying 50 a month for coverage on my 600. But if you have tickets statefarm will not even consider covering you that young from what ive heard. Now progressive will cover you but i believe it would cost about 120 a month.

either way check out that site before you buy there are TONS of guys on there with great knowledge they will help you out and not lead you in the wrong direction

Good Luck, Ride Safe

Old 06-01-2008, 8:59 PM   #12
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Alpharetta
Tyler, not to be blunt, but you are WAY to young to be riding a motorcycle. I know A BUNCH of people who have been hurt on them or even killed. Its not you I am worried about, it other drivers. You need to get some experience behind the while with a large metal cage around you before you get out on a bike. Drivers in ATL are crazy and you need to learn what to expect and be able to "read" what a driver will do BEFORE they do it. If you want something gas friendly, look for an older civic or corolla.

Please dont get a motorcycle at your age. People will hit you and just keep on driving in ATL.

Old 06-01-2008, 9:07 PM   #13

I understand. Thats why I thought that the rocket would be better to start with. It would just be for school n back. Around town, I would be even more scared for highway

Old 06-01-2008, 9:09 PM   #14
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Yeah I hear you, but next time you are in a car going 40 mph (and your not driving) stick you head out and look down at the ground. That would be how fast you are moving even at normal speeds. If it werent ATL and a very rural area, I would say go for it. I had two people cut me off tonight on the way to Athens tonight and one of them would have hit me if I hadnt swerved onto the shoulder. Those stickers "look twice, motorcylces are everywhere" are there because so many people get killed or injured by other drivers just not looking.

Old 06-01-2008, 9:20 PM   #15

Im not going to be driving on the highway, just around mabye topps 45 mph

Old 06-01-2008, 9:44 PM   #16
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Ok, Just be careful. You can still get killed at 45 mph. You get knocked off the bike and then run over and your done for. There were 4 different people at my high school in my grade die in CAR accidents, all of which were on street with a speed limit 45 mph or below.

Old 06-01-2008, 9:58 PM   #17

Ill wear armor and a suit, and be as safe as possible.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #18

yeah bud do be safe every single friend i have had that has ridden has gone down at least once and none of them were there fault...........when i say none i mean none were there fault.....i went down not my fault at all......u just have to always be aware of other drivers.......take the MSF safety course it will lower insurance and teach you A-LOT!!!!!! start slow be safe and be patient with everything its kinda like this hobby except your life is on the line.....no seriously it is you just have to practice riding, the more riding hours and experience you have the better you will be at reading other drivers and keeping yourself safe.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #19

but i will say that being on a bike crusing down some back roads is the best and most relaxing feeling in the world

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #20

Awsome, my dad has ridden alot and he wants to fix his bike up becuase it hasent been ridden in a while and he talked me into looking at some stuff.