Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > The Lounge
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 03-07-2008, 9:33 AM   #1

City: Hampton
State: GA
Other Interests: CARS!!!
HORROR STORIES & What are the Expensive fish U know?

After losing the four fish, I had estimated the loss @ $300 worth of fish, now I am begining to think it might have been more than that, what do you guys think? Here is what i lost.....

A Purple Tang, about 5-6"
Some Angel fish that was Black and I think white stripes 5" (supposedly costed $100 @ 2")
Blue Hippo Tang 6-7"
A Wrasse (don't know which type, but it looks like the Mandarine goby with all the green and blue) 4"

Red Sea Yellow Bar survived, I took him to BluePlanet, they gave me a 1/3 of retail, the fish was $199!!! Couldn't beleive it, I was told $170.

Previously, I had only lost 1 fish due to partly my fault, lights went out, and a damsel suffered brain damage, but the Coral beauty died due to a sick Blenny I got from Petco which infected ALL my fish, this is still partially my fault since I never had set up a quarrantine tank, but my Scorpas Tang and Fox face are healthy even though I got them sick from Petco. Then I lost 2 Damsels cause my 3yr old nephew threw a handful of food into my tank and some other stuff...........can't blame a 3yr old.

Anyway, I lost the above list of fish because of a STUPID mistake, this thing has been eating at me for days, almost wanted to quite (not that I've even had begun an established set up) after I get rid of this 220Gal and go back to fresh water, but I was offered a fully stocked 55Gal, so now I am thinking of staying.

Has anyone suffered such a loss due to human error and not biological or uncontrolable substances....... If this list tops $500 I'll be really pissed! I think I read someone was selling a 3" fish for $3,200, I thought that was outrageously expensive.......... I think I'd jump off a building if I killed a fish that price.

Just want to know out of curiosity and also find out Livestock & fish I need to stay away from.

Old 03-07-2008, 9:39 AM   #2

City: Ball Ground
Im in the same boat. Ive lost probably $6-700 worth of fish in the last few days. First mistake using Melafix . Second mistake was using the Seachem Focus and Metronidazole. After 75% water changes the List of fish that have bit the dust.....

1. Emperor Angel about 7-8" Adult
2. Stouts Moray
3. Lemonpeel Angel
4. Potters Angel
5. Percula Clownfish
6. Banana Wrasse
7. Engineer Goby
8. Tomini Tang
Im sure theres more but It pisses me off just thinking about it.

Lessons Learned :

1. Dont add too much fish at one time no matter how cheap you got them.
2. Always QT fish from new LFS stores
3. Have plenty of Carbon on hand Just in case
4. Dont add chemicals in your tank that you cannot test for

Last edited by James S.; 03-07-2008 at 9:47 AM.

Old 03-07-2008, 9:56 AM   #3

DANG!!! Wow! OUCH! I'm really sorry for your loss.........

I killed mine because after we unloaded the trailer, the 08 Tundra (great truck) we rented had to be back in 15 min, so my brother rushed the truck back, and I set up a Temp holding tank, but he left me with his Daughter, I love that little Angle to death, and she was alittle sad My Bro was gone, so I left her watching TV, and dumped the fish in a 20Gal, and then Hauled Butt to the Airport, Woe unto me I forgot to plug in the Heater, and since I was ripping and running, I was sweating, so it didn't occur to me that the room was COLD!

When I got back, all the fish had turned to Iceckles except for the Yellow Bar, I almost threw him out only for him to flap his fin once to tell me he was alive, I immediately started warming the water.....and he survived.

Thanks Thiago for the inspiration, but if it was $700, I would be out for a while, that I think I can assure you............so please don't burst my buble, $300 is hard enough to deal with now that I've started thinking about it, I think I'm comfortable now knowing till a later date........

Keep the stories coming, this is educational for some........... I guess.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #4

City: Alto
Other Interests: fast cars, dirt bikes, wood turning, and stained glass...
Just remember.... it's only money...

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #5

City: Alto
Other Interests: fast cars, dirt bikes, wood turning, and stained glass...
My condolences to both of you... :(

Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #6

Wow, nice Avatar, surely suites the case, well, I hope you never get to go through it, but if you do, well see if you still think the same.........

I just found out while looking at other fish that a Blue Hippo tang at that size is $299, I don't know if it's an expensive web site or is that what they run, but I think I'll stop looking now and go back to watching Youtube.

Oh, and it's not a Blue Hippo tang, it was actually a Blue Regal tang as the site calls it, I don't know if they are the same fish.

This is the angle:
Red Sea Asfur angelfish.
Size: 2-1/2"

Last edited by Game411; 03-07-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #7

City: Buford
i'd like to chime in with details but as soon as i figure out how to work the white balance on my camera, i'll just make a post of the crap i'm dealing with...

i've watched my dad kill at least $5000 in livestock in the past 2 years under the presumption that "these fishes aren't strong enough". list includes:

1. Queen Angel
2. 4 Emperor Angels
3. 2-3 4 and 6 line angels
4. at least 3 different species of batfish
5. 24" panther grouper
6. blueline and flame groupers
7. nearly every trigger i've seen commercially sold...
8. at least half of a dozen boxfishes (REALLY surprised their deaths didn't directly result in other fishes deaths).
9. at least a dozen different species of pipe fishes. another dozen different species of sea horses.

don't get me started on the coral. check out my live rock FS/FT thread. there's a 10 gallon tote packed with dead coral heads.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Roswell
Other Interests: Snow Skiing, Scuba, Photography
Send a message via ICQ to mojo Send a message via AIM to mojo Send a message via MSN to mojo
Unfortunately, if you're in the hobby long enough, you'll have a large dieoff. A couple months ago, I lost 12 clams in 8 days - clams that I'd had for 3-5 years - most of these were blue maximas and croceas, and a large squamosa - Probably $1500 in clams in a week.

I can only contribute it to the use of Flatworm Exit (which I had used in the past with the same clams). The FE probably didn't do it, but the toxins in the flatworms. I did huge water changes, carbon, and everythign else I could think of when the clams started going downhill, but it was too late. I lost 1-2/night for a week.

I lost several fish recently, due to introduction of fish without going through QT, and I lost ~30% of my acro's and probably $500 of fish in one night about two years ago when I had a Kalk overdose and my tank pH went to 10 in about 4 hours.

Each event was almost enough to make me get out of the hobby; I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
Just remember.... it's only money...
And the lives of innocent creatures... Losing the money sucks, but knowing that fish, clams, and corals are dying because of my negligence hurts a lot more...

Last edited by mojo; 03-07-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #9

City: Lawrenceville
Send a message via AIM to Victor626nj
i havent lost much in fish but it still hurts to lose one i remember spending about 20 bucks to save a chromis that was barely hanging in there unfortunately he still didnt make it........but my list goes like this ive lost
3 chromis
a flame angel
rainford goby ..he just disapeared over night.
and a yellow tang sorry big d
maybe 80-100 in fish
i would hate it if something really happened and i lost my fish though i have about 700 buck in fish alone

Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #10

Wow, and I'm whinning about $300 or now $400, but I hate killing fish unless I'm about to eat them, but wow! Sorry.........I hope this doesn't happen again to me or any of us, but for me, I'll probably sell everything.........

I never knew clams were that costly...... that alone would have guranteed my exit, I would've settled to visiting Thiago and looking @ his tank (I would bring the pizza of course). Maybe in time I'll get a thick skin like some of you.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #11

City: Woodstock
I have a different "twist" to add. I haven't added any new fish in 3-4 months, but I recently purchased a rock with some corals on it. Since the rock was probably 7-10 pounds and had a feather duster in it, I didn't dip it; I just put it in the tank. 6 days later my Blue Regal tang now has Ick (or some other white parasite.....) Anyway, after that stupid maneuver I read that Ick can come in on LR, corals, etc. Who'dda thunk it? What in the heck would make someone think they should dip a gigantic coral encrusted rock before putting it in the tank?????? And my tank's been up and running for almost 4 years now, never any ick before.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #12

City: Macon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor626nj View Post
i havent lost much in fish but it still hurts to lose one i remember spending about 20 bucks to save a chromis that was barely hanging in there unfortunately he still didnt make it........but my list goes like this ive lost
3 chromis
a flame angel
rainford goby ..he just disapeared over night.
and a yellow tang sorry big d
maybe 80-100 in fish
i would hate it if something really happened and i lost my fish though i have about 700 buck in fish alone
Victor you usually sell all your fish within days of getting them. They don't have a chance to die on you! j/k lol

Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #13

City: Lawrenceville
Send a message via AIM to Victor626nj
haha no i pretty much know which way i want to see my tank go and its coming together shrtly i got rid of about 6 fish that i didnt want and now im going with mostly wrasses

Old 03-07-2008, 3:29 PM   #14

City: Rockmart
Other Interests: Movies and Video Games
I added a Golden Headed Sleeper Goby that was about a good 6" or so, He got torn in half by a YT and a Lunare Wrasse..He made it in the tank for a good 20mins or so..

Old 03-07-2008, 3:36 PM   #15

City: Covington
Other Interests: keyboards, cooking, horses, family
4 clowns and 5 chromis...Ive been lucky

Old 03-07-2008, 4:04 PM   #16

City: Woodstock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNecropolis View Post
I added a Golden Headed Sleeper Goby that was about a good 6" or so, He got torn in half by a YT and a Lunare Wrasse..He made it in the tank for a good 20mins or so..
I once decided to add a cleaner shrimp to my established tank. I had a giant Coral Banded shrimp and 4-5 peppermints that were all introduced at the same time. The CBS never hurt the peppermints. I very carefully dripped the new cleaner shrimp for 2 hours before releasing him into the tank. I left the room for less than 5 minutes to make myself a cup of coffee so I could sit and watch my new little buddy, and when I came back a few minutes later, only the tail of the cleaner shrimp could be seen, sticking out of the mouth of the CBS. $35 down the drain in less than 5 minutes!

Old 03-07-2008, 4:34 PM   #17
ARC Sponsor

City: Duluth
State: Ga
I lost a Joc during my moved. I really hate to loose him because he was a very good little angel. Never bother my corals or clams like most angel do.

Old 03-07-2008, 5:25 PM   #18

Dang, I just came across an angel that costs $1,799, what in the world, for that I can buy two cars, WOW!

These stories should be put up as caution, help the new refer to understand the price of costly mistakes, and dumb ones like mine..............

We've been arguing about cars on the other post that I totaly forgot about the pain of my loss. Guess losing $400-$500 in fish isn't 1/2 as bad as buying a Brand new BMW 740 for your limo company and having it break down 4 times in 7 months, or the transmission going out in your 2002 BMW 330 after just 36,000miles, I'D BE PISSED!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 5:39 PM   #19

oops, that was meant for the other thread........ nothing to do with fish dying.

Last edited by Game411; 03-07-2008 at 5:51 PM.

Old 03-07-2008, 9:25 PM   #20
ARC Member
ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Suwanee
Other Interests: Diving, Motorcycles...
Let's see if I can even come close to a list of what I've lost:

Blonde Naso
2 Foxface Lo
3 Anthias
1 Fathead anthias
3 Pajama cardinals
12 yellow tangs
48 chromis
Clown tang
3 radiant wrasses
1 tomato clown
1 flame angel

corals:
stag colony-large
2 aussie acans
1 agent orange acan (lost it in the tank, must have fallen; assume it's dead now)
various acros

I'm sure I'll think of more...pretty sad