Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Divers Den
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 02-06-2008, 8:11 AM   #1

City: Rome
State: GA
Other Interests: Scuba diving, drinking cold beer, family, oh, and my tanks
Key Largo questions--

We're planning on going down to Key Largo and Islamorada around the end of April/first of May--is there a website somewhere that tells the average temps. and water temps. ?? Or does anyone know what we should expect in the keys around that time of year? (Storms, cold water, warm water, etc.); thanks

Old 02-06-2008, 8:22 AM   #2

City: Carrollton
We go down New Years for the past few years and it has been beautiful!! Last Spring Break wwe went down there and a cold front came through. It was horribly cold and windy. Its just a chance, but the odds are better for good weather. The fronts never last to long down there from what I understand. Have you been before?

Old 02-06-2008, 8:30 AM   #3

yeah, we went last fall and had a blast! For the US, it's thebest diving I think you'll find-Dives are shallower, though, which is kinda good thing-, but I like to do a deeper dive at least once a day, but we stayed shallow the whole time--oh well--one dive I went down with 3000 PSI, and stayed down for 71 mins.--pretty good for me-especially since I'm a pretty large guy-

Old 02-06-2008, 8:47 AM   #4

City: Fayetteville
Other Interests: Woodworking, Motorcycles
http://fla-keys.com/weather.cfm

Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #5

City: Carrollton
Did you stop by robbies marina? Thats pretty cool! There is so many neat places down there! Did you fish any or just dive?

Old 02-06-2008, 1:53 PM   #6
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Miami
State: FL
Other Interests: hockey, tennis, golf, snow skiing, video games, Miami Dolphins
Send a message via AIM to Jgoal55
to be honest Key largo is one of my favorite keys...as for weather it's great about 90% of the time so if it's bad when you go thats just unlucky. I was down there this past Sunday (Feb 3) and it was 80 during the day. Didn't go in the water though as that is still too cold when your used to summer hot water but there were plenty of snow birds taking baths.

I'd say at the time you are going you are going to have water temps in about the low 80's. If you are going to dive/snorkel the reefs go to penekamp state park. One of the best reefs out there is Molasses. There is also "El Cristo," and Pickles is a nice shallower reef. Overall though...the reefs are nothing like thy were 10 years ago.....there is still a lot of fish life but its hard to see and nice corals....If you scuba go hit the Spiegel Grove. I dont scuba so I have never done it but all my friends that do rave about it.

As for restaurants.......this is one of the reasons key largo is one of my favorites:

1) the fish house - best stone crab in the keys
2) Hobo's
3) Sundowner's
4) The Buzzard's Roost - a little out of the way but great food
5) Pilot House - not sure if it's still around ...its been a while but this place has the best clam strips on earth.

Old 02-06-2008, 1:59 PM   #7

we just dove when we went down; yeah-we dove molasses several times, and also the cristo (it was a good one time dive, not a repeater); I wasn't really impressed by restaurants, so I'll be sure to try those--thanks-and any more input would be appreciated-

Old 02-06-2008, 2:01 PM   #8
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
Other Interests: SCUBA, woodworking, rare books
Molasses and Pickles are nice. I tried the Spiegal Grove but the conditions were not that good. Rainbow Reef down there is a good dive shop.

Old 02-06-2008, 2:04 PM   #9
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Alpharetta
My family has a house in Marathon (30 minutes from Islamorada) so shoot me a pm if you have any more questions. Do you plan on renting a boat, or going diving or what? I can suggest exact places to go since I have been down there a BUNCH. Heck I lived there for almost a month after a hurricane hit and we had to do some work to our house.

Old 02-06-2008, 4:58 PM   #10

we're bringing our own boat--you don't rent your place do you?? we're basically 6 or 7 guys who don't get real rowdy or anything like that (in other words we won't tear your place all to hell), we were looking to goto Key Largo, but we're not fixed on it or anything--LMK

Old 02-06-2008, 6:28 PM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Alpharetta
We but I am pretty sure its booked out for a LONG time. Its on the ocean with a dock so it gets rented out pretty quick. I hope you or someone else has ALOT of experience with boating in a shallow ocean areas because I cant tell you the number of times I have had to pull someone else off a bar or out of the flats because they didnt watch the channel markers and stay between them. I even saw one guy blow his engine (on a rental) in the flats because he didnt know what he was doing. Oh and also I wouldnt take ANYTHING while out on the boat (corals fish etc) because the marine patrol watches that stuff like a hawk!

Old 02-06-2008, 8:02 PM   #12

yeah-we took it down last year too, and don't worry-we were forewarned last time that the protected areas are strictly NO TAKE! and if we've been spearing or lobstering, then we can't stop while in the protected area--but as far as boating-we've got a pretty good guy manning our boat-he lives and breathes loran points and stuff that puts me to SLEEP! thanks, and we stayed at holiday in in Key Largo last time-had a BLASt- and I can't wait to go again--

anyone else with more info-LMK-please--thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 2:38 PM   #13
Banned

City: Woodstock
Other Interests: Diving, Golf, & Steeler Football
Contact mafiaman..he lives there right now and is a divemaster on weekends for someone...