Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Large Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 04-12-2017, 1:17 PM   #281
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Marietta - Near Sprayberry HS
State: GA
Other Interests: kids
I decided to try the spectracide stump removed to add nutrients to my tank for now. The acros I've gotten are paling and not doing well (reduced pe and general unhappiness). My nitrate and phosphate always read dead zero even though I've been trying to feed a lot more lately. I think the new tank with dry rock start takes a while to load up on nutrients.
I prepared 1 gallon ro/di with 225g (3/4 cup) stump removed and dosed 100ml last night. Nitrates went from zero to .7ppm on the Red Sea pro low range test kit. I'll check it again tonight before I dose. Took some preliminary pics to try and track any changes. These are all iPhone pics with only white leds (blues off). My digis are doing okay but growth rate seems slow. Some looked a little better when I was feeding more but still slow growth imo.

Old 04-12-2017, 1:46 PM   #282
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
Rusty, I added spectracide to my tank about a month ago because my RS pro test kit was also showing me zero. I could see a response within a few days once I brought NO3 up to 1-3ppm. What's your P04 running at? And I'm excited to see the after pics!

Old 04-12-2017, 2:40 PM   #283
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Po4 is dead zero on both Elos test kit and my Hanna ULR phosphorous tester. I've definitely got my fingers crossed.
I've also been living with a pretty big cyano outbreak but I'm chalking it up to new tank syndrome and if it doesn't clear up in a few months I'll go the chemiclean route to try and stamp it out.

Old 04-12-2017, 2:41 PM   #284
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdrsyguy1 View Post
Po4 is dead zero on both Elos test kit and my Hanna ULR phosphorous tester. I've definitely got my fingers crossed.
I've also been living with a pretty big cyano outbreak but I'm chalking it up to new tank syndrome and if it doesn't clear up in a few months I'll go the chemiclean route to try and stamp it out.
The presence of cyano would indicate that NO3 and PO4 is present above zero levels wouldn't it? It's possible the cyano is sucking up the nutrients from the water column which is giving you a 0 PO4 reading..

are you dosing anything?

Old 04-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #285
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I'm not an expert on cyano, it's always come and gone for me. maybe it's sucking up all the nutrients before the corals can get much. can't get much worse anyways so might as well see what happens imo. Corals need something and everything else seems in line.
8.0 dkh, 420 calc, 1350 mag, 8.35 ph, good amount of flow and light, 78.4 F...

Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #286
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

So tonight before dosing no3 was dead on .25 so I lost about .5 ppm no3 in a day. Went ahead and dosed the full 100 ml tonight. We'll see what changes.

Old 04-13-2017, 9:22 AM   #287
Secretary
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Duluth
Other Interests: Fishing, Boating, Firearms.
Hey Rusty. What are you doing to get your Ph where it is? My system is in my basement as well with less people in the household. I'm running outside air to my skimmer and have and exhaust fan running in the fish room 24/7. I struggle to the the Ph above to 8.1 with a range of 8.02-8.11.

Here are my params: 9.75dkh, 426 Cal, 1440 Mag.
I'm running 2part and dripping Kalk. 2part dose was at 110ml/day just lowered to 66ml to get the Alk a little lower. The Kalk is dripping very close to a gallon a day. It's mixed with 50ml of vinegar and 2.5 teaspoons of Kalk per gallon and has only been running 9 days now.

Old 04-13-2017, 9:32 AM   #288
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I'm not versed on vinegar in kalk but if your dripping that much kalk, outside air etc I would double check your test kit or ph sensor. You could add some macro algae possibly. I wouldn't worry about it much though. I don't think anyone really worries about / chases ph. Definitely don't ever put buffer or it'll jack up your tank like no tomorrow. Every tank just seems to have its preferred ph. I just got lucky is all imo.

Old 04-13-2017, 9:49 AM   #289
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Villa Rica
Other Interests: Firearms, Fishing, American Bulldogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by anit77 View Post
Hey Rusty. What are you doing to get your Ph where it is? My system is in my basement as well with less people in the household. I'm running outside air to my skimmer and have and exhaust fan running in the fish room 24/7. I struggle to the the Ph above to 8.1 with a range of 8.02-8.11.

Here are my params: 9.75dkh, 426 Cal, 1440 Mag.
I'm running 2part and dripping Kalk. 2part dose was at 110ml/day just lowered to 66ml to get the Alk a little lower. The Kalk is dripping very close to a gallon a day. It's mixed with 50ml of vinegar and 2.5 teaspoons of Kalk per gallon and has only been running 9 days now.
Why with vinegar?

Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #290
ARC Member

City: STOCKBRIDGE
[QUOTE=anit77;1112579]Hey Rusty. What are you doing to get your Ph where it is? My system is in my basement as well with less people in the household. I'm running outside air to my skimmer and have and exhaust fan running in the fish room 24/7. I struggle to the the Ph above to 8.1 with a range of 8.02-8.11.

I guess that's my problem also. My tank is in the basement. I read online about running an airline outside for my skimmer. I'm worried about sucking in pollen, dust and other particles. Do you have some sort of filter on the airline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #291
Secretary
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Duluth
Other Interests: Fishing, Boating, Firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danh View Post
Why with vinegar?
Carbon source, increases Kalk concentration...

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/b...alkwasser.html
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....arine-aquarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey1465 View Post
I guess that's my problem also. My tank is in the basement. I read online about running an airline outside for my skimmer. I'm worried about sucking in pollen, dust and other particles. Do you have some sort of filter on the airline?
I ran 3/4" PVC outside. Inside I put a 1-1/2" section in the line that is removable. In that section I put in GAC. I also put some screen in the outside elbow to keep critters out

I'll leave this at that. I don't want to hijack Rusty's thread. If you guys want to discuss these topics further if you could start a new thread I'll be happy to join in.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #292
President
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Johns Creek
[quote=carey1465;1112586]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anit77 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can add a canister filter with carbon in it to filter out anything in the air.

Old 04-15-2017, 7:39 PM   #293
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Picked up some stuff from the arc expo today!! Shots in the qt.

Old 04-16-2017, 9:21 PM   #294
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Noticing any changes yet to the tank since dosing the N03?

Old 04-17-2017, 7:32 AM   #295
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I'll try to take a few update shots tonight. I'd say there's a little more polyp extension and tissue looks just a smudge thicker. Two corals that probably would have died about now look like they might make a come back. No amazing turn around but things look a little better. Ill probably continue for a month before I pass final judgement. Oh, and the cyano has come on strong lol. I don't want to do the 3 day lights out yet so I'll deal with that in a month or so also I think.

Old 04-17-2017, 6:20 PM   #296
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: woodstock
How is the build going?

Old 04-18-2017, 7:18 AM   #297
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Kennesaw
Other Interests: Natures simplest & finest
Nice looking frags, waiting for the updated pic's

Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #298
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

couple before and after pics. Things were going decent until I accidentally left the lights on after taking this pics for two days straight. Several frags really pales and took a hit.
Before

After
Before
After
Before

After
Before

After

Old 04-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #299
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

It definitely saved the first coral which had all dead polyps and was on the brink. The others I've seen a hair better polyp extension at times (still not great) and maybe a smidge better color in spots. And of course a couple just aren't doing that great. Leaving the lights on for two days straight was a real setback to about 4 frags. Hopefully they recover soon.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #300
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Looks like some are coming around. What you keeping your N03 at and how has the cyano been reacting to the N03 dosing?