Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Large Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 01-13-2017, 9:10 AM   #241
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Duluth
State: GA
Other Interests: Fishing, Boating, Firearms.
For moving your light rack I posted in ender's thread about using a bicycle lift for mine. After thinking about it you'd probably need two of them to be able to keep the rack level. That would be a pain having to use two ropes every time.

I don't know if you're on R2R at all or follow Rev's build over there but he's using a Garage Gator for his light rack. This is probably the best bet for you and it adds a little more to the cool factor you've already got going.
Here's a link to a post where he shows it installed. Post 1191 is with the lights attached.

Rev's 400+ Gallon Basement Inwall

For your setup you could attach some eye bolts to the rack and use chain or cable to attach to the lifting points. Then use turnbuckles on the back side connections to level it out.

Old 01-13-2017, 2:32 PM   #242
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Marietta - Near Sprayberry HS
Other Interests: kids
Austin: didn't know "sliders" exist for the extruded aluminum stuff. They have so many items I just couldn't find what I was after so I just looped the hanging kit over the frame. It's easy to adjust but connecting them directly would have been better if I knew how.

Seth, thanks for the tips! My old bartlets was a big male and yes he bullied the whole tank like you said. I just figured it was an anomaly. One of my lyretails just turned male but hasn't bullied anyone yet. I was honestly wondering how different species groups of anthias would do together. So far the 1 carberry I have gets along fine with others. Unfortunately I added 4 bartlets to my order when I saw they were on sale and they are shipping any minute now so no time to stop it. I'll just have to catch them in the fish trap if they become a problem I guess. I'm going to pm you about your qt methods with anthias because I have a tough time with them in qt.

Old 01-13-2017, 3:24 PM   #243
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Marietta - Near Sprayberry HS
Other Interests: kids
Thanks Adam. I'll look into it. I do watch r2r from time to time.
The problem I had with the bycicle lift was the weight. This rack is likely over 100 pounds by the time I finish putting everything on it. Plus there's not much room for a double pulley system to reduce the force to lift.

Old 01-13-2017, 5:07 PM   #244
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Duluth
Other Interests: Fishing, Boating, Firearms.
The Gator come in 2 models. 125# and a 220# capacity.