Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Large Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 07-11-2012, 3:07 PM   #41

City: Douglasville
State: GA
Very nice!!

Old 07-15-2012, 6:52 PM   #42
ARC Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
Pics of some of the goodies.

Here are some of the pics of the equipment I will be using in the build.

Pic 1: Alpha Vertex 300 Cone. I currently use an Alpha Vertex 250 Cone, and absolutely love this skimmer line. These skimmers need the least amount of adjustments of any I have owned.

Pic 2: Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid. This is my return pump. I was going to use a Pan World, but the majority of large tank owners use Reeflo, so I am giving this a try.

Pic 3: Two additional EcoTech Radions LED Lights. I have six over my 300 gallon, and the 465 gallon is the same dimensions, only 2 feet longer and 4 inches wider, same depth. My Radions grow SPS at the bottom of the tank, so this should be a great match, as I currently have 2 Radions per each 2 feet of tank length.

Pic 4: Vertex UF20 Media Reactors. In keeping with the Vertex line, I have two of these for GFO and GAC. They have union fittings, and are made of cell cast acrylic, with an easy twist-off top for media changes.

Pic 5: GEO 818 Calcium Reactor, currently in use on my 300 gallon reef system. I will switch this over to the new system when I get the 465 set up.

Only hiccup in the system setup so far:
I am waiting for delivery of some Schedule 80 bulkheads. I have two 2" bulkhead holes for the overflows, and two 1.5" bulkhead holes for the returns in the external overflow. I was supposed to have holes for Schedule 40 bulkheads, and the 1.5" holes are OK, the 2" bulkhead holes are 3 1/8" wide, not 3" as they should be. Way too much wiggle in the hole for a 2" schedule 40 for my comfort level. An inconvenience, but not disastrous. I contacted the aquarium maker and they paid for schedule 80 bulks to be sent to me next day. I will widen out the external overflow holes with a dremel and I'll be all set. Schedule 80 holes are a bit wider. The bottom of the external is a layer of PVC and ABS sandwiched together, so it should be an easy fix.
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg CIMG4899.jpg (35.1 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4900.jpg (75.5 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4901.jpg (45.7 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4902.jpg (40.1 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4903.jpg (38.0 KB, 304 views)

Old 07-15-2012, 7:04 PM   #43
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Rome
Other Interests: Marine Tanks, Tennis, Family, Music
Send a message via Yahoo to SnowManSnow
haha thats pretty cool man congrats

Old 07-15-2012, 7:06 PM   #44
ARC Member

City: Flowery Branch
Other Interests: Family,Photography, Art, Notre Dame, History, "Fava Beans and a big Amarone"!
Great line of equipment!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #45
ARC Member
ARC Member

Thanks guys...the MRC sump is being built, and I'll take delivery of that maybe late next week, but I am not sure about that.

I also picked up two 40 breeder tanks at Petco as part of a thing I may try with the water entering the sump. I may drill these two tanks with a 1.5" bulkhead on each end to be part of the drain lines from the 465. Each of the drain lines will empty into a 40 breeder, then drain into the MRC sump. Each line will have a PVC bypass line so I can switch flow away from each 40 breeder. As well, I will have each 40 breeder plumbed so I can use it as a water change mixing setup when it is isolated from the tank system. I plan on basically using one of the tanks to hold WC water, then switching the bypass from one to the other, then draining the tank water I have just isolated and allowing the new water to enter the system. It will be like pulling 40 gallons of system water out, and adding 40 gallons of new water in one movement. Then next water change the process repeats, just using the other 40 breeder/bypass setup.

I haven't decided if I will do this or not, but I saved a ton buying the 40 breeders at the Petco sale, so I figure I can just sell them on for what I paid if I end up not using them, or perhaps incorporate them as part of a QT system in the back part of the basement.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #46
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acroholic View Post
Thanks guys...the MRC sump is being built, and I'll take delivery of that maybe late next week, but I am not sure about that.

I also picked up two 40 breeder tanks at Petco as part of a thing I may try with the water entering the sump. I may drill these two tanks with a 1.5" bulkhead on each end to be part of the drain lines from the 465. Each of the drain lines will empty into a 40 breeder, then drain into the MRC sump. Each line will have a PVC bypass line so I can switch flow away from each 40 breeder. As well, I will have each 40 breeder plumbed so I can use it as a water change mixing setup when it is isolated from the tank system. I plan on basically using one of the tanks to hold WC water, then switching the bypass from one to the other, then draining the tank water I have just isolated and allowing the new water to enter the system. It will be like pulling 40 gallons of system water out, and adding 40 gallons of new water in one movement. Then next water change the process repeats, just using the other 40 breeder/bypass setup.

I haven't decided if I will do this or not, but I saved a ton buying the 40 breeders at the Petco sale, so I figure I can just sell them on for what I paid if I end up not using them, or perhaps incorporate them as part of a QT system in the back part of the basement.
I had that same type setup on my big system and I loved it. Flip a couple of valves and a water change is done.

Old 07-16-2012, 2:42 AM   #47

City: lawrenceville
tank

wow!!! i am amazed at the sheer size of your tank and just read your story about the moving of your tank...what a story!! just how can one get so much knowledge?? i wish i can just get my tank to be crystal clear! so i am buying a sump and ordered uv sterlizer...if anyone has advice for me on getting the tank to stay beautiful and clear..i would appreciate it!!

Old 07-30-2012, 1:12 PM   #48

City: Watkinsville
Any updates?! Did any of your plumbing supplies or sump been delivered?!

Old 07-30-2012, 4:31 PM   #49
ARC Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalReefer View Post
Any updates?! Did any of your plumbing supplies or sump been delivered?!
Yes...got the plumbing mostly finished, and got my sump.....big update and pics to follow.

Old 07-30-2012, 6:46 PM   #50
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Milton
Yes, we want to see that sump.

Old 07-30-2012, 8:00 PM   #51
ARC Member
ARC Member

OK guys I got an update. Here are some pics of the sump. First pic is the sump ready for pick up at SEA Atlanta. Thanks for the quick turnaround Jeremy, and yes, there is a species of freshwater seahorse in Lake Titicaca in South America! Since this is a huge MRC Custom Sump, I call it King Sump, and all Kings must have a Throne, so this platform is for it and the other equipment to sit on. Other pics with some initial plumbing. This is all for right now. I'll get some more up later with the sump plumbing completed. My intent is to have the plumbing modular through using unions, so I can pull the entire platform away from the wall if I need to service the overflow on the other side of the wall, or in case a snail or something blocks up one of the tubes. Intake pipes are 1.5" and return is a single 1.5" pipe that will divide into two 1.25" pipes.

And before anyone says "why do you have ball valves on the drain side?," I have them there so I can stop flow into the sump if I ever have to pull the platform away from the wall.

Right now, the platform is secured in place to the wall with two 10" 90 degree metal brackets that are attached to the base plate of the stud wall and the back side of the platform.

And a special shout out "Thank You" to Joe Hutto for coming by and helping me carry the sump from the back of the SUV to the basement. Joe is a great guy.
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg MRC.jpg (56.1 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4917.jpg (19.4 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4930.jpg (47.2 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4931.jpg (52.2 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4932.jpg (47.7 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4933.jpg (25.9 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by Acroholic; 07-30-2012 at 8:06 PM.

Old 07-30-2012, 8:01 PM   #52
ARC Member

City: Flowery Branch
Other Interests: Family,Photography, Art, Notre Dame, History, "Fava Beans and a big Amarone"!
WOW....I'm thinking awesome!

Old 07-30-2012, 8:47 PM   #53
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Warner Robins
I'd love to have a tank that size let alone a sump that big!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #54

City: A cold place
State: MN
Other Interests: Golf, foreign movies, travel
MRC does such nice work. It's almost a shame you have to dirty that sump up one day.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #55
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Bowdon
Other Interests: Powersports, Fast Cars, Anything Outdoors
You call that a sump? Look like a display tank to me.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #56
ARC Member
ARC Member

Update: More sump pics and mostly plumbing. Manifold added. Reactors will sit in front of the Hammerhead pump. Also pics of the four dedicated 20 amp circuits I wired into the Sub-panel. PVC unions, ball valves, electric wire, breakers, etc. of this size are expensive. I totaled it up, and I spent over $500 for the plumbing and wiring supplies alone, not including the cost of having the sub panel put in.
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg CIMG4937.jpg (33.7 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4936.jpg (44.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4938.jpg (35.3 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4939.jpg (31.5 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4935.jpg (30.5 KB, 256 views)

Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #57
ARC Member
ARC Member

Next update: this is the light hanging rig that will hold the eight Radion LED lights I will be using on the tank. I ordered some 1/8" thick 90 degree 1.25" x 1.25" aluminum bar stock. These are basically cradles for AI hanging rails, which I use for my lights on my 300 gallon. The AI rails will hang lengthwise front to back in these cradles, and the width (front to back) of the cradles is the same length as the AI rails, so they should just slide in there and not move, but I can move the lights left/right and front back for centering. I used two AI hanging hardware kits for the cradles. The height is also adjustable via the wires coming down through the ceiling.
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg CIMG4906.jpg (41.9 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4907.jpg (37.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4908.jpg (47.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4910.jpg (73.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4909.jpg (56.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4912.jpg (53.6 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4913.jpg (52.5 KB, 280 views)

Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #58
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Bowdon
Other Interests: Powersports, Fast Cars, Anything Outdoors
So after you get this running and stocked, what is the price of admission going to be.

Your tank is going to be the envy of reefers everywhere

Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #59
ARC Member
ARC Member

Admission will be free. Hehe......I still have to leak test all this stuff!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #60
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Snellville
Occupation: Owner of a Camper Service Center. Service Manager and Father
Other Interests: Building Guns. Raising my Son.
Looks killer Dave! Goin to be a bad to the bone tank!
https://www.facebook.com/DeitzMobile...homepage_panel