Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Large Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 07-09-2012, 6:34 PM   #21
ARC Member

City: Flowery Branch
State: GA
Other Interests: Family,Photography, Art, Notre Dame, History, "Fava Beans and a big Amarone"!
Wow! That's a tank! Good luck! Can't wait to see it filled!

Old 07-09-2012, 8:39 PM   #22
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Smyrna
Lookin' nice. I know it's been in the works for a while. It must be nice to see it in your basement. But even better once it's filled with life! NO doubt this will be one of the nicest in ATL. Congrats, Dave!

Old 07-10-2012, 5:09 AM   #23
Super Moderator
ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Augusta
Other Interests: classic ford broncos,vw beetles,history
very nice!tagging along on this one!

Old 07-10-2012, 5:31 AM   #24
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Douglasville
Other Interests: Woodworking, Metalworking, Motorcycles
**** Dave talk about go big or go home. Looking forward to seeing this beast up and running.

Old 07-10-2012, 6:42 AM   #25

City: Suwanee
Other Interests: Woodworking, fishing, snorkel, hunting, lake activities
tagging along, looks like a great tank, interested in the final outcome

Old 07-10-2012, 7:25 AM   #26
ARC Member

City: Auburn
That is an outstanding tank! I like the way the overflow was built.

What have you planned to do for lighting? Radions? Or is it time for the 1000w halides?

Old 07-10-2012, 7:55 AM   #27
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Cumming
Other Interests: Reefs, is there anything else?
Awesome tank Dave! I don't want to see your CC bill when you buy the lights for that baby! What a cool project!

Old 07-10-2012, 8:01 AM   #28
ARC Member

City: Chatsworth
Nice Dave. I want to come see it when your finished. I am glad you had a good experience with Planet Aquariums.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
John
ARC Member

City: Canton
Other Interests: Golf, diving, cars...
Dave - awesome tank ... I'll be tagging along.

I'm definitely interested in your lighting choice as well. I'm also interested if you contemplated a closed loop? I noticed you got the PVC bottom, but didn't see any drilled holes. Curious if you're planning on just tunze/vortech movement or closed loop by dropping pipe inside the tank vs. drilled bottom (or both).

I'm in the planning stages on a tank ... not quite as big as yours though. Looking at a 68Lx36Wx32H. The back 12" will sit into the wall - it will be a semi in-wall.

Current lighting thoughts of 10 AI Sol Blu's with Magenta LED augmentation or 6 AI Sol Blus & 2 400w MH (3 front & 3 rear AI's with 2 MHs in the middle). In the mixed option, the thought being I could get the dimmable features of the LEDs and use the MH's in the middle of the photo cycle for growth/color. I already have 6 AI's, so I'm using as much of my existing equipment as I can (affects my design decisions to some degree).

Current flow thoughts of drilled PVC bottom for closed loop with Dart - 8 way Oceans Motion with 2 inlets (10 holes total). Also, contemplating just a 4 way OM or doing the closed loop by dropping pipe inside the tank behind false weir (lose some space, but no drilled bottom). I'll also repurpose my 3 existing MP 40s on top of the closed loop. 2 on the sides on the back 12" covered by the wall (don't want exposed look) and 1 on the back wall. Closed loop would be predominately for the first 2/3 of the tank.

Just looking for the thought process you went through with your tank. I've been all over the place with options.

Thanks,
John

Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Scottdale
Other Interests: SCUBA
I recently received a quote from Planet Aquariums also. Trying to see how I can pull off an upgrade myself.

Knowing Dave, this thing will rock!

Old 07-10-2012, 5:17 PM   #31

City: VALDOSTA
Other Interests: 5 Persian cats
I am so totally impressed. Your sump in larger than my dt. Agree with others, it is sad to read of so many quiting, I couldn't, my withdrawl would be chocolate, then I would be bigger than your sump! Nice build. Bubba

Old 07-10-2012, 6:06 PM   #32
ARC Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkywater View Post
Awesome Dave just Awesome! Can't wait to see it filled up! You going to sell the 300 afterwards?
Thanks Nate...the plan is to transfer the contents of the 300 and then sell the tank and most of the equipment minus lights and calcium reactor.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterybox View Post
Wow! That's a tank! Good luck! Can't wait to see it filled!
Thanks Ralph....me too.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MvM View Post
Lookin' nice. I know it's been in the works for a while. It must be nice to see it in your basement. But even better once it's filled with life! NO doubt this will be one of the nicest in ATL. Congrats, Dave!
I thought I wasn't going to be able to get anyone to move it in for me. This was just too big and too risky for an ARC move the tank party, IMO. I preferred folks covered by Worker's Comp and Liability insurance, hehehe! I think the hardest part is done now. Just be a bunch of small steps to get it plumbed and filled.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferman View Post
very nice!tagging along on this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquariumAddiction View Post
tagging along, looks like a great tank, interested in the final outcome
Thanks guys.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped Tide View Post
That is an outstanding tank! I like the way the overflow was built.

What have you planned to do for lighting? Radions? Or is it time for the 1000w halides?
Thanks Dylan..I think it will be lit with Radions initially. I have six over the 300, and plan to use 8 over this reef. I have two Radions for every 2 feet of tank length in the 300, and the 465 is the same height, and only 4 inches wider than the 300 (40" wide vs 36" for the Deep Dimension) and two feet longer. So I will be asking the Radions to only cover 4 more inches of width in the tank. Doesn't seem too unreasonable a stretch for them. Also, EcoTech is releasing a TIR (Total Internal Reflective) Lens upgrade for the Radion, which is supposed to add 30% more light to the fixture output. So I figure these are in my future as well.

I can always try halides at a later date if I don't like the results.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwaggs View Post
Awesome tank Dave! I don't want to see your CC bill when you buy the lights for that baby! What a cool project!
I've already bought the two more Radions I'll be using for the 465. Between the 100 gallon, the 300 and the new ones I own 10 Radion lights, hehehe!

Last edited by Acroholic; 07-10-2012 at 6:19 PM.

Old 07-10-2012, 6:23 PM   #33
ARC Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce 1 View Post
Nice Dave. I want to come see it when your finished. I am glad you had a good experience with Planet Aquariums.
I wanted to give a special thanks to Bruce for his help and advice during my tank selection. I called him a couple times and he gave me a lot of his time and shared his experience with me about his Planet Aquariums purchase. Without his experience, I might have bought elsewhere.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy22 View Post
I recently received a quote from Planet Aquariums also. Trying to see how I can pull off an upgrade myself.

Knowing Dave, this thing will rock!
I'm sure you'd be happy with a tank from Planet Aquariums.

I'm going to have to figure out how to access the back parts of the tank. Being only 5'9" I can barely reach the the back of my 300 gallon, and that stand is several inches shorter than the one under the 465.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1bubba View Post
I am so totally impressed. Your sump in larger than my dt. Agree with others, it is sad to read of so many quiting, I couldn't, my withdrawl would be chocolate, then I would be bigger than your sump! Nice build. Bubba
Thanks very much.

Old 07-10-2012, 6:43 PM   #34
ARC Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Ocean View Post
Dave - awesome tank ... I'll be tagging along.

I'm definitely interested in your lighting choice as well. I'm also interested if you contemplated a closed loop? I noticed you got the PVC bottom, but didn't see any drilled holes. Curious if you're planning on just tunze/vortech movement or closed loop by dropping pipe inside the tank vs. drilled bottom (or both).

I'm in the planning stages on a tank ... not quite as big as yours though. Looking at a 68Lx36Wx32H. The back 12" will sit into the wall - it will be a semi in-wall.

Current lighting thoughts of 10 AI Sol Blu's with Magenta LED augmentation or 6 AI Sol Blus & 2 400w MH (3 front & 3 rear AI's with 2 MHs in the middle). In the mixed option, the thought being I could get the dimmable features of the LEDs and use the MH's in the middle of the photo cycle for growth/color. I already have 6 AI's, so I'm using as much of my existing equipment as I can (affects my design decisions to some degree).

Current flow thoughts of drilled PVC bottom for closed loop with Dart - 8 way Oceans Motion with 2 inlets (10 holes total). Also, contemplating just a 4 way OM or doing the closed loop by dropping pipe inside the tank behind false weir (lose some space, but no drilled bottom). I'll also repurpose my 3 existing MP 40s on top of the closed loop. 2 on the sides on the back 12" covered by the wall (don't want exposed look) and 1 on the back wall. Closed loop would be predominately for the first 2/3 of the tank.

Just looking for the thought process you went through with your tank. I've been all over the place with options.

Thanks,
John
John,
The bottom is a hybrid glass/PVC bottom. The top layer is PVC and the bottom layer is 1/2" glass.

I'm sure closed loops are great, but I can't bring myself to drill holes in the bottom of a tank for fear of a flood if the bulkheads fail. I am going to use EcoTech Vortechs for internal circulation, probably 2x MP60s and 2x MP40s. My return pump is going to be a Reeflo Hamerhead/ Baracuda hybrid with a lot of flow, so there should be some good return circulation as well.

On my 300 gallon, I initially used an MP60 on the left and right side, and two 40s on the back, but the flow was so great it just blew everything around. Right now, I only have one 60 on the left and right side, and I have those throttled back to 70% or so, and I still get my gravel blown around. My thoughts are to start with the 60s and 40s and then see how the tank does.

This tank wil be lit by 8x Radions initially. I think Seth is using AIs and Halides, and he seems to like his results.

Hehe...my thought process on the tank was like this: "I want a big tank so I ordered one." I figured I'd work out the details later. Not trying to sound flippant, but I figured that would work itself out. Most of my concerns were to get the tank glass and overflow type the way I wanted.

Old 07-10-2012, 8:15 PM   #35
John
ARC Member

City: Canton
Other Interests: Golf, diving, cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acroholic View Post
Hehe...my thought process on the tank was like this: "I want a big tank so I ordered one." I figured I'd work out the details later.
Completely understand. Unfortunately, I'm in the the "I want a big tank, but I have to take care of a couple other things first" ... so I'm forced to have the time to float a bunch of options around in my head until I do order.

You've gone through some of the same pros & cons I'm going through. The only tough part on the closed loop is that you can only do the factory drilled bottom once in the process - not a small tweak or add on later. Need to figure that one out up front.

Thanks for the insight. May need to ping Seth on his "results".

Old 07-10-2012, 9:41 PM   #36
ARC Member

City: Vinings
Tagging along. Great start and equipment choices. Keep the pictures coming!!

LinkedIn
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #37
ARC Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Ocean View Post
Completely understand. Unfortunately, I'm in the the "I want a big tank, but I have to take care of a couple other things first" ... so I'm forced to have the time to float a bunch of options around in my head until I do order.

You've gone through some of the same pros & cons I'm going through. The only tough part on the closed loop is that you can only do the factory drilled bottom once in the process - not a small tweak or add on later. Need to figure that one out up front.

Thanks for the insight. May need to ping Seth on his "results".
If you are interested in seeing a couple Oceans Motion in action and a drilled bottom closed loop, check out the big display reef tank at Pure Reef. I think they use two OMs on that tank, driven by a Reeflo on each.

I actually had a pretty good idea as to the equipment I wanted to use before I even ordered the tank, as this tank is just like my 300, but on steroids. I have an Alpha Vertex 250 Cone on my 300, and I bought a used Alpha Vertex 300 for the big tank. Lighting is just 2 additional Radions. Sump is just a larger version of the type I have now. A couple larger media reactors than what I have now, and so on. Keeping the same calcium reactor, as it is a GEO 818 and is probably oversized for my 300 gallon and is a great match for the 465. Probably add a third titanium heating element for the winter. No chiller necessary as long a I stick with the LEDs.

Last edited by Acroholic; 07-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Old 07-11-2012, 2:26 AM   #38
ARC Member
ARC Member

Next little bit of progress: had a subpanel installed yesterday with six 20 amp circuits. I'll wire the outlets myself as needed.
Attached Pictures
File Type: jpg CIMG4866.jpg (45.2 KB, 179 views)

Old 07-11-2012, 6:21 AM   #39
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acroholic View Post
Next little bit of progress: had a subpanel installed yesterday with six 20 amp circuits. I'll wire the outlets myself as needed.
Well worth it! I have one for my system as well.

Old 07-11-2012, 7:08 AM   #40
ARC Member

Other Interests: College Football, Camping, Fishing, Reefing
Wow Dave! And I thought that 300 was gorgeous... cant wait to see what you do with this one.