Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Large Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 12-19-2009, 2:53 PM   #1
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Gainesville
State: GA
JR. 600 gal Plywood tank build

Here's my tank build I have been working on for about year now.It might take me a little while to get all the pic posted I'am having to copy them off another site.
Tank size 96"L X 48"W X 35"H the water will run at about 32-1/2" deep.
The inside is coated with Mas 2 part epoxy to about 3/16" thick the plywood is ock the outside frame is pine.The front panel top has 2"x 2" 1/4" thick metal angle that run across were the glass panel will be.

Old 12-19-2009, 2:54 PM   #2
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got the front of the overflow poured and took the tape off the front panel here a pic with
the tape on and one when I removed the tape.

Here some pics of the overflow I"ll let this sit for a couple days then turn it on it's top then
do the in side of the top.That will be the last of the flat panels then it on to the 45 deg.
corner's then all the epoxying will be done on the the inside.

Got the inside of the top poured .While the tank is upsidedown I will seal the outside
bottom & the bottom of the overflow.

Sealed the outside bottom of the tank & overflow .Now I can start pouring all the corners
then it will be ready to stain & seal the outside then I can get the front glass panel.

[

Old 12-19-2009, 2:55 PM   #3
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got some more done on the tank epoxyed the outside back & back of the overflow put one coat on with a roller will put one more on .Then I can flip it right side up and do the sides,top and frt. then i can pour the 45"s.

Turned the tank back over and got the 1st. coat on the rest of the outside.I'll put a 2nd coat on then I will sand and put on one more.

Old 12-19-2009, 2:55 PM   #4

City: Ball Ground
Nice!

Old 12-19-2009, 2:56 PM   #5
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got the top of the overflow's poured then I sanded all the edges while I was waiting
for the 1st tool on the cnc mill to finish & to start the last tool.

Here some pic of the form that were have on the mill.

Made my 45 deg. jigs now I can get started pouring the rest of the inside of the tank only 11 more pours.

Got the tank setup on the 45's and poured the first set of corners. Just 10 more.

Old 12-19-2009, 2:58 PM   #6
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I poured the other bottom corner I like to give a day between the next pour.Then we turned the tank and poured one of the front panel & overflow corners 8 more pours to go.

Checked the epoxy that I poured last it was hard so I went ahead and turned the tank and poured the other end. It looks like I can pour everyday from now on.7 more

Turned the tank again poured the front bottom of the glass panel & front bottom of the overflow.
Need to pour one more coat then it can be turned again. 6more

Old 12-19-2009, 2:59 PM   #7
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got the back bottom of the tank & overflow done.I'll get it turned
and do the top of the front panel then I can measure for the glass. 5 more.

Here is a picture of the stack of pumps for the tank
2) reeflo black fin 6000 for the closed loops,
1) black fin 3600 for the return
1) dart gold orca needle-wheel for the protein skimmer
1) pw-40px for the calcium reactor
4) 8" arcylic tubes for my calcium reactor & media chambers.

Got the front top of the glass panel poured.4more

Turned the tank again and poured one of the top sides .It's so hot in the shop it want take long before I can pour the 2nd. coat 3more

Old 12-19-2009, 3:00 PM   #8
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got started on the putting together the egg create for the foam and rock walls.I got the back and half of both sides done I will make the other two tomorrow.

I got all the egg create for the rock walls done and needed to make something to mount the create at the top of the tank so I drew some mounts up in cad and cut them on the cnc mill and while I was on the mill I cut the parts needed for the bubble counter and got it glued together. I'am
going to try to get the rest of the part for the calcium reactor & media reactors cut this weekend.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:01 PM   #9
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I finished cutting all the parts for the calcuim & media reactors only thing I need to do now is cut the hole in the calcium reactor tubes for the 3/4 pipe fitting for the pump and for the 1/4 fitting that comes from the 1st chamber to the bottom of the 2nd chamber.Then I can glue .I put the calcuim reactor together to make sure all the part fit here some pic.
The tubes are 8"dia. x 24" tall.

Put the media chambers together .I hope to get the hole cut in the tubes
for the calcium reactor so I can put it together then I can get started back on the foam & rock walls.

I glued the calcuim reactor tubes to the base

Got to work on the calcuim reactor cut all the pvc parts and maybe I can get them glued tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:01 PM   #10
ARC Sponsor

City: Duluth
State: Ga
Sweet!!!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 3:02 PM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got all the pvc glued on the calcium reactor & media chambers and got started back on the foam & rock walls.

I made a rack to cover the close loop outlets in the center of the tank.Iím going to try to hide all the outlets.
I also got some of the close loop pluming glued a mounted to the egg reate. The next thing I need to do is figure out where i want the bulkheads for close loop inlets and outlets that comes threw the back wall and cut holes and install them then I can cut the egg create for the walls and start drilling & hanging some rock.

Got the epoxy & sand on the foam.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:03 PM   #12
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got the left side front wall foamed .I will get the sand put on next.

Got the left side wall cut to fit in the tank and put some epoxy & sand on it.
I'll get started on the right side and get it to the same point as this left side.
Then I'll have to drill the hole for the bulkheads in the back wall and then get the bulkhead & fittings put in then i can cut the egg create to miss them then cut some more egg create to go around the fittings to hide them so you don't see them from the front of the tank.

Got the lose sand cleaned off the left side and put back in the tank.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:03 PM   #13
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got the right side front panel done and cut the holes for the 1-1/2" & 2" bulkhead for the close loop and started to make the covers that fit over the 1-1/2" fittings that come threw the back wall.I didn't get threw with the covers so no pic of them I will get one tomorrow.

Finished the covers for the close loop returns and got them put in I still need to make the covers for the intakes .

Old 12-19-2009, 3:08 PM   #14
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

[QUOTE=davisju1;20817]Here some pics of the inlets covers and jig. I'll try to get some rock zip tied
nexted .

Worked on the right side back wall and got the rock zip tied to the egg create and then got some foam put on next I'll get the epoxy and
sand on going the have to get some sand dried out that I wash out that came out of the 180 I have about 2 gal. already dry so I can get started.I also need to epoxy all the bulkhead hole.

Here some pic of my old 180 gal aga tank before I had to brake it down I'am
going to use it for a refugium and for the sump i will use a 300 gal rubbermaid stock tank.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:09 PM   #15
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got one side done with epoxy & sand I ran out of the dry sand so I used some that was almost dry it seamed to work a little better . I'll vac the
loose sand off and turn the other side down flat and get that side done.
After I get that side done I'll turn it back down to the first side a use some
finer sand to cover the egg create for the overflows.

Went and checked on the epoxy & sand that I just put on it was dry so I went ahead and put some sand on were the overflows will be to cover up the egg create I think I'am going to put one more coat on after this dries the finer sand just don't cover as well.

before the finer sand

after the sand

Got the right side back wall turned and the rest of the sand put on.
I'll take the shop vac and vacuum off all the lose sand and get the
jig ready to do the left side. This is the first night this week that I have had
time to work on the tank
So here some pics.

Here a close up of the egg create that cover's the overflow inlets.

I got the sand vacuum off of the other part of the rightside foam wall and cleaned off the foam that went threw to the back side of the egg
create so the foam wall will fit back flush with back and side walls of the tank.By the time I got to this point it was about 10:00 I was ready to go home but had to see what the wall was going to look like in the tank so I stayed and got it put in.
Here some pics.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:10 PM   #16
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I got the jig made for the left side back and laid out the rock
and today I got the all rock drill and zip tied to the egg create after that I put the foam
on.Tomorrow after work I"ll get the sand put on.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:11 PM   #17
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Epoxied the sand on the left side back wall today.Tomorrow I will vacuum off all the
lose sand off and turn and do the same thing to the unfinished side then I can coat
the overflow covers with the finer sand like I did right side back wall.Then I'll get it installed
in the tank and start fixing where you can't see where all the panels come together .

Old 12-19-2009, 3:12 PM   #18
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got the sand on the rest of the left back wall I'll vacuum off the sand tomorrow and get the overflow egg create covered with finer sand.Then I can get it put back in the tank.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:13 PM   #19
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Now for a little update
I got the sand vacuum off and the wall turned back down then I put the sand on the egg create
that covers the overflows.Tomorrow I'll get the wall installed back in the tank and start on the seams between the panels.

Old 12-19-2009, 3:13 PM   #20
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Got the left side back wall put back in the tank today.I'll start fixing the seams tomorrow.