Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Reef Discussion
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 07-03-2009, 4:48 PM   #1

City: Marietta
State: GA
Other Interests: horseback riding (eventing rocks!!!), exotic pet keeping, and photography
Smile brain coral "garden" and ric. "waterfall"

So my favorite corals are ricordias, mushrooms, zoas and palys, and brain corals and I'd like to do somthing cool with each of them. For the zoas and palys I'm covering a large (some were inbetween 10-20 pounds) elk horn rock with almost all polyps. For ricordeas and mushrooms I'm going to do a "water fall down a shaded area of the tank, but this part is mostly vertical. How do I get the mushrooms and ricordias to stay on the rock? For the brain corals I was thinking I could do a brain coral garden. I only like the lobophyllia and welsophyllia brains and I already have one lobophyllia (pics to fallow this one has very unusual coloring. My question is could I really have a "garden" of brains or would they have to be spaced so far apart that it wouldn't really be a garden?
Thanks, Diane

Old 07-03-2009, 9:24 PM   #2
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Family Member

ARC Member

City: Lawrenceville
Other Interests: Fly Fishing, Civil War artifacts
I think you can do a "brain" garden. I've got 3 sitting side by side. I think it would look pretty neat and have thought about that as well.

Getting shroom or ric's yo stick on a rock will be tough. You can try super glue but I've only been marginally successful. Using fishing line to tie them to the rock will sometimes work as well. The problem is if they don't like the spot they'll just release themselves anyway.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Alpharetta
Depends on the type of brain completely. Ive got a maze brain with 5-6" NASTY sweepers that took out an acro that was 5ish inches away. I was mad and impressed at the same time and my maze had a growth spurt after as well. I would also strongly advise AGAINST putting ricordea anywhere near any type of LPS. If the lps stings the ric, it will likely just melt and brown jelly. Ive lost 3 ricordea due to them falling on lps. You will need to really be picky on the type of brains and look at the length of each species sweepers.

Old 07-04-2009, 7:46 AM   #4

Other Interests: horseback riding (eventing rocks!!!), exotic pet keeping, and photography
I plan on only getting lobophyllia and welsophyllia brain corals. The ricordeas are going on the other half of the tank, not any were near brain corals or other lps. How long are the sweepers of the two species of brain corals?

Old 07-04-2009, 8:14 AM   #5
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Family Member

ARC Member

City: Lawrenceville
Other Interests: Fly Fishing, Civil War artifacts
I based my comments upon what you said in your first post about what kind of brains your planning on keeping. I beleive you should be fine with both types. Post some pics when you have your garden "planted".

BTW where are you buying the welsos at?

Old 07-04-2009, 8:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dough View Post
I based my comments upon what you said in your first post about what kind of brains your planning on keeping. I beleive you should be fine with both types. Post some pics when you have your garden "planted".

BTW where are you buying the welsos at?
I only have one lobo so far, and I really like it. I'm buying the lobos and welsos at Marine fish, they have some nice ones in right now, but of course I bought the best one they had yesterday . This was the only brain that had a little bit of algea but I loved the colors so I'm just gonna keep feeding it and hopfully it will go away.
Here is a pic of my lobo It's more expanded now, this is when I first put it in the tank.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

If you stick to just those and space them 2-3 inches apart you should be ok. However dont be surprised if you find out by trial and error that one has longer tentacles than you think.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdude View Post
If you stick to just those and space them 2-3 inches apart you should be ok. However dont be surprised if you find out by trial and error that one has longer tentacles than you think.
I'll probobly start 5" apart and if nothing happens then I'll move them closer together and I'll keep slowly moving them togther until they are at 3" apart. Thanks for the info, Diane

Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

That sounds like a good plan. Ive noticed that if I feed right before the lights go out and then feed a micro blend like marine snow or something for filter feeders then your brains will open up and you will be able to see which ones have the longest tentacles and be able to space them accordingly. Scolys are beautiful and dont have that long of sweepers from what I have seen.