Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Reef Discussion
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 07-21-2008, 9:57 PM   #1

City: Fort Mitchell
State: AL
Other Interests: Family, Hunting, Fishing, riding my Bike
Light Problem

I just bought a Nova Extreme 4 bulb T5 recently and I come home from work today to see the 2 actinic bulbs won't work. They are on a different plug. The fan, other 3 T5s, and LEDs work but not the actinics. Anyone know where to start on this thing before I call?

Here is the link to where I bought it. I hope I am not breaking forum rules by posting it. If so I apologize and understand if it's edited out.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=12772

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-21-2008, 9:59 PM   #2

Sorry, meant to say other 2 T5s not 3. It must be a fat finger night.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #3

City: Woodstock
State: GA
Rickey, you are not breaking forum rules by posting the link. I have retro fits, so I'm not an expert at the light kits, but I have read that sometimes the fixtures' wiring is not sound. Does it look easy to take apart? Here's what I'd do:

Swap out the bulbs and see if the other two bulbs work in the actinics sockets? See if the actinic bulbs work in the sockets of the other 2 bulbs? If no, it's the bulbs. If yes, then it's the sockets themselves (and here's a guess - it's probably not the bulbs!). If it's the sockets, you're going to have to take the fixture apart. See the little screws on the end of the fixture? If you take them out, does the end pop off and then can you get at the wiring? Keep taking it apart until you get to the wiring/wire nuts. Make sure all the connections are right. Once you've messed with the wire nuts/connections, re-test the sockets that didn't work. If the wiring is proper and the bulbs have been deemed good, and you still don't get the bulb to fire, then it's probably the ballast inside the fixture. You'll have to call customer service. When my ballast in the fixture went out, they sent me another one and I had to replace it myself! What a PITA! I hope it's not that!

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #4

Will do tomorrow. Thanks Barbara. I already had plans this evening and didn't have time tonight to take it apart. i also need some shut eye since PT is at 0600.lol I hope they don't expect me to send it back. I could get my VHOs going in a day or so and throw my camopy toghether but wasn't wanting to get on it for a week or so since my honey do list is still kicking. My wife didn't just make a honey do list while I was in Iraq she bought the supplies. I need to get this tile laid. I hope it is easy.lol Anyhow since I went off in some other direction let me get refocused. I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what I have in there. I am not scared to DIY or fiddle just hoping someone had a quick guess. I told the much better half when I came home I thought it was most likely the ballast after I checked the plug to see if that was it.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #5

Check the bulbs first, although my guess is it's not the bulbs. I mean, what are the chances of both bulbs going at the same time? Not likely. Take one of the other bulbs and put in the non-working socket. (actually take both working bulbs. I wouldn't take the chance of having only 1 bulb in the sockets, just in case there's some silly requirement that light bulbs be in both sockets.....) My guess is the sockets won't work.

But, on a more personal note, and because I am a wife of 21 years....... Get the honey do list done first. Show her she's first, and your hobby is second. It will buy a lot of points. It doesn't take long to rule out the bulbs. Get up early to do that (so she doesn't catch you....). It's not going to be the bulbs, IMO, so you're going to have to take the kit apart. Tell her "if I do xxx hours of honey do, then can I spend xxx hours trying to fix my lights so my fish/corals won't die?"

Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #6

I hear ya there. She is definitely first but I bet she picked out half the corals in there and 3 of the four fish in the 240.lol

Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #7

Then she'll understand you can't go too long without lights! I once had my light out of commission for 3-4 days and my plate coral completely disentegrated. I think SPS is more forgiving, but LPS needs some light, even if it's just PC lighting.

Old 07-22-2008, 8:52 PM   #8

It is definitely ballast. I called and Dr F&S said that the fixture I have is on back order so they can't send me one. They are going to get with the manufacturer and try to get a new ballast expressed to me. We'll see what happens.

Old 07-22-2008, 9:02 PM   #9

Bummer. I hate replacing the ballasts. Glad you figured it out though.