Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Large Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 12-12-2015, 1:51 AM   #1
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Cumming
State: GA
Other Interests: AtlantBraves, Home Brewing
275 gallon system. 180 gallon DT, 55g refug, 40g sump

Ive been looking forward to starting this thread. I have been planing this system since i got the OK to do so from my girlfriend in July.
Here is the display and 40g breeder after i first got them. the main is 72x24x24

We have a large storage room in the basement and we are building it into the wall. this is before the demo took place.

Old 12-12-2015, 2:54 AM   #2
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Building the stand

Thankfully a good buddy of mine is a woodworker and remodeler and put together a custom stand. built with 6x6 timbers and held together with 8inch lag screws. It was difficult to come up with a final plan due to the predrilled bulkhead holes and how i wanted to set up the refugium and sump.

I wanted full access to the tanks underneath the tank so the stand was built extra long, just shy of 100 inches. You might have noticed the tank is high up and there is a reason. On the display side there will be a custom bar (this will be something cool too) that comes out 8 to 10 inches off the wall and i wanted the middle of the aquarium about face height when sitting on a bar stool.

Sorry not sure how to turn the pictures

Got the tank shimmed and leveled out here.

Old 12-12-2015, 3:13 AM   #3

City: SHARPSBURG
looking good

Old 12-12-2015, 3:33 AM   #4
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I wanted to maximize water volume so i had 1/4in glass panels cut higher than what i would think normal baffles would be. I got a shower pan liner from home depot and created a pan up underneath the refugium and sump stand ideally so spills or overflows can be contained in it.

I really dont know how to fix this^

In the meantime we created our first QT to get my girlfriend involved and keep her excited. At this point the build was going super slow. Took me longer than expected to get the glass cut correctly and silicone in the baffles. I also had to wait for some extra help lifting the main display on the stand. Its close to 450lbs empty and the top of the stand is about 4 feet high. Not really a 2 person job.

My girlfriend, Charley and I are both nurses and she got pretty excited about a QT/hospital tank. As you can see we decorated it. She researched and bought a handful of medications, printed and laminated information on the common diseases and how to treat with each medication, and has it all neatly organized in a binder. She also did the same thing with the Red Sea Testing kit. Its pretty amazing. We got 2 little clowns from petco.

I know not the best fish store but we medicated them for Ich and they have been doing great. Its been much longer than expected in the little 10g but they will have more swimming room soon. Charley named them Lewis and Clark(because they will be the first to explore the tanK haha )

Last edited by Tanked; 12-12-2015 at 3:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to talk about the fish.

Old 12-12-2015, 3:39 AM   #5
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTING99 View Post
looking good
Thanks! Im really getting excited now. Made a lot of progress here in the past 2 weeks. Im going to hit the hay and update the thread with the rest of what i have gotten done later today.

trying not to get ahead of myself and cross all my Ts and dot my Is. This is my first ever saltwater aquarium and want to make sure im doing it right.

Old 12-12-2015, 5:47 AM   #6
Newsletter Editor
ARC Member

City: dacula
Other Interests: Golf, wood working, guitars, gardening, hydroponics
Awesome progress. My best advice is to not get impatient. With my first build, I was so excited to start that I filled the aquarium to leak test it and then decided to go ahead and add salt. That was the beginning of my tank. The bad part was that I never painted the stand!

Long story short, make sure everything is just like you want before you hit the go button.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

I originally planned on using 2 brute trashcans for water storage but after i decided to lengthen the stand i ran out of room. I picked up theses 35 gallon tanks at tractor supply and built the stand for them. Not as cheap as i would have liked but they fit perfectly.

my next challenge was trying to figure out a way to waste water. I already had a water line running over head that goes to an outside faucet. i had access to fresh water for my RODI but no drain anywhere close for its waste water or for waste water during water changes.

Came up with an idea to split off the line where one side will be used for fresh water and the other can be accessed to send waste water up and out to the outside faucet. that facet will always be open on the outside but we currently never use and i figured it would be much easier to run a 10 feet of PVC than 50 to the closest drain.

this is pretty much the final product. i can gravity feed my ATO and saltwater changes and i have my return pump for my DT tee off and plumbed into the outgoing waste water line. Theoretically all i will have to do is turn a few valves and to do all of my water changes. Hopefully no buckets.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Thanks JBDreefs!

Yes i am doing my best not to get ahead of myself. I think i hold myself back a little to much sometimes because i worry i don't have everything setup correctly or there's a more efficient way to do something.

I have just filled up the corner overflows and am letting it drain into the plumbing for now to check for leaks. I don't need an issue after filling almost 300 gallons of water.

I painted the main display stand just after building. Thankfully its pressure treated as well, but i didnt think to paint or stain the stand the sump and fuge are on (not pressure treated). I was anxious to run the plumbing and needed the them in place. Thankful for my excessive use of Unions so taking them out shouldn't be to difficult. I dont want them rotting away in a few years.

what do you think about all the moisture next to the sheetrock? i feel like i need to coat the wall in something. I dont see it getting splashed or constantly wet but im just trying to play it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDreefs View Post
Awesome progress....

Old 12-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Freshwater Storage and Saltwater Mixing station

Here's a little more detailed pictures. I got a little waveline d/c pump to circulate and mix the saltwater. its apex ready and does 660gph. I dont plan on running it 24/7, i think it maybe overkill. I will program my apex turn it on a few times a day. Ill have a heater in the salt container as well and have the apex cycle it too. Anyone think i should add an airstone in it?

I forgot to put in a tee above the pump and will so i can pump water over to my QT tanks. Probably just add a valve with barbed spigot so i can quickly attach a silicone tube.

The QT tanks are a 20g and 10 gallon. I dont need super high flow to fill them up quickly. I will acquire small pump too with enough head pressure i can stick in the QT tanks to pump water up and out the waste line. You cant see it in this picture below so i drew in where the barbed spigot leads to the waste line.

Ive read to keep QT tanks apart from DT but im getting limited on space. Plus I think i can get the QT covered well enough to keep things from becoming contaminated.

Old 12-12-2015, 1:26 PM   #10
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

You Really cant beat Petco's Dollar per gallon sales on aquariums. They do it 4x a year. I picked up the 55g long, 40g breeder, and the little 10g and 20g QT tanks there.

The Biggest they go is 55g i think. I tried to find my DT used but at the time all i could find were tanks being sold with stands and canopies. I knew was building a stand myself and the used sets were around the same price or more expensive than a new tank by itself.

The guys at PureReef got me set up with the 180 gallon marineland reef ready tank. Not sure if its possible to tag them in here, but I wanted make sure i thanked them.

Old 12-12-2015, 2:11 PM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Butler
Very thought out, I like it. Don't feel bad, I've been working on mine longer than you and it's still not done

Old 12-12-2015, 2:43 PM   #12
Super Moderator
ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Blairsville
Other Interests: Keeping the kids from killing each other
Very cool build, may have to steal a few ideas. As for the
Quote:
Anyone think i should add an airstone in it?
Personal call, I don't have one and just rely on the pump recirculation and seems OK to me.

Cool concept " Let's get tanked" Bar/Build thread. How long have you been brewing?

- Jenn

Old 12-12-2015, 3:26 PM   #13
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Running the plumbing

There is another valve on the end of the tee on the right. It will only be opened to perform water changes. Although i like the color purple, i would have like blue piping, but I let Charley choose and she wanted purple. (pink wasn't available lol). I think the purple turned out great. Got it from Bulk Reef Supply. I goes well with the scheduled 80 grey fittings.

Probably have to build PVC stand to raise the skimmer. Need to lengthen the pipe going into the right side of the sump so they will below the waterlevel. wasnt going with filter socks to begin with. I will use sponges in between the first baffles on the right side of the sump.

Two 1.5 inch bulkheads i drilled. Flow from refug to sump

These are some side views of the sump above and refugium below. again the idea was to have plenty of working around room and space for addition plumbing and lighting for the refugium. After I get things running smoothly i will run some LED strips up inside the frame of the stand so i can see what the hell im doing. I think i can use the apex breakout box for that. Not sure how yet but i have plenty of time to figure that out.

This is the emergency overflow i drilled into the Sump. Its a 1.5 inch bulkhead thats going to 3/4inch pipe. I ran out of plumbing parts and had to use 3/4 inch pipe. Im going to change it over to 1 inch to make sure i have good flow. Its diverted into the shower pan underneath.

Just a pic looking into the shower pan. It runs the length of the 8ft long stand and is 8 inches deep. should be plenty of room to hold water in case of an overflow.

I think for cosmetic reasons i will cut and paint a piece of wood and slide it in front of the shower pan and sump stand.

Old 12-12-2015, 3:54 PM   #14
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Thanks I cant take all the credit. I watch the show Tanked on animal planet. Haha.

i was only thinking airstone because the water tanks will be capped off for the most part.

Ive been brewing for a few years but haven't done much since i moved out of my college apartment. I have a Chest freezer that will be converted to a 2 or 3 keg kegerator.

The basement will be ocean/beach themed and my brother gave me a better idea than i originally had for the bar. He suggested we make the bar look like an ocean Dock. some sun stained wood. Round posts and probably thick rope and some netting around it. I think it can look outstanding. Here's the kicker. I can run some insulated silicone tubing from the kegerator and put in taps right under the DT.

Way to big of a project for me alone but it's hopefully in the not so distant future. Gotta get the tank running first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Urchin View Post
Cool concept " Let's get tanked" Bar/Build thread. How long have you been brewing?

Old 12-12-2015, 4:03 PM   #15
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: WOODSTOCK
Other Interests: fishing, building stuff, puzzels
Ok, I've got to get onboard this build, another crazy set up.
Have fun building.

Old 12-12-2015, 4:05 PM   #16
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

1. To do list
  2. test all the plumbing on the water station.
  3. Aquascape (This has me worried). close to 200lbs of rock. I have an idea of what i would like but im no artist. If anyone has any experience and free time i could use the help. haha
  4. Fill and cycle the tank
  5. Hang Lighting
  6. Run a dedicated electrical circuit
  7. Make a organized board for the apex system.

Im sure there is more to the list i just know that i dont know what it is yet. But im looking forward to keeping everyone updated!

Oh build the bar

drink a healthy amount of beer while completing all tasks (maybe not the electrical)

Old 12-12-2015, 7:40 PM   #17
Newsletter Editor
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Member

Other Interests: College Football
Very nice build!
I'm in cumming as well, so let me know if you ever need help.

Old 12-13-2015, 1:01 AM   #18
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Thought these were cool and wanted to share! My grandfather picked these up in the Bahamas. They are from one of his first scuba dives in the 1960s. My grandmother passed them down to me and think they will make a great bar decoration. One of the Conch shells may even make a decent home for a small fish in the Tank.

the starfish is about 10 inches across and 2 to 3 inches thick

Old 12-13-2015, 2:47 PM   #19
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Columbus
Very nice build

Old 12-13-2015, 4:31 PM   #20
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: WOODSTOCK
Other Interests: fishing, building stuff, puzzels
man 1960 stuff passed down the generations, i'd keep it right where you had it, once it hits the tank it might get lost in the mist of time and algae.

got an idea what your stock list would look like?
it's Christmas so slow down and save some money for the family.