Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Do It Yourself
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2017, 3:53 PM   #1

City: Cumming
State: GA
how to silence a dorso drain into the sump

when I swapped tanks I went from a dead silent bean animal to an insanely loud Dorso setup. I have silenced the overflow part but the drain into the sump is driving me insane.

the best I can tell the noise is coming from air being trapped with the falling water and making it's way into the sump. it sounds like boiling water.

I have tried several suggestions and none have worked. the latest was adding a T in the drain line so the air could escape. it made it sounds like sucking sound.

the latest recomendation from a LFS is to add a Pee trap to the line. I can't for the life of me see how this would work. he said to come below the tank, over to the side of the sump, then drop it all the way to the ground, and come back up to the inlet of the sump.

has anyone ever heard of that? to me it seems like it would add back pressure to the drain and put it at risk of an overflow.

any other suggestions?

stats: 60gallon tank, essop 75 sump, all 1-1/4" pvc hardline, return pump is DC9000.