Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Special Interest Groups > Large Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 01-10-2017, 2:27 PM   #1
Formerly leveldrummer

City: Newnan
State: GA
Other Interests: UFC, Offroading, Our dogs, Work, and most importantly, family.
Who makes 8ft tanks?

Im trying to research large tanks, and manufacturers that offer them, so far I have found:

Glass Cages

DAS Aquariums

What other companies does anyone know of that has 8ft tanks? I prefer a wider tank then 24" and at least 24" tall.

Old 01-10-2017, 2:39 PM   #2
Premier Aquatics
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Sponsor

ARC BoD

City: Marietta
Other Interests: Coonhounds, Mountain Biking, Backpacking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett22 View Post
Im trying to research large tanks, and manufacturers that offer them, so far I have found:

Glass Cages

DAS Aquariums

What other companies does anyone know of that has 8ft tanks? I prefer a wider tank then 24" and at least 24" tall.
I would go with DAS over Glass Cages personally. Reviews and experiences with Glass Cage seem to be very hit or miss. I guess there is a reason they are so cheap. And none of the major brand manufactures make aquariums that large. So custom made will pretty much be the only route.

We use DAS for a lot of our custom aquariums and are always very happy with the results. Their prices are very good in my opinion for the quality and and warranty you get. While rare they will fully backup and take responsibility for any design mistakes or flaws.

Only other place we trust for our custom applications is DFW, but I'm not sure if they will deal with customers directly. You might have to go through a store to use them. I will say their quality is very high-end... about as perfect as you can get... but you are going to pay more then DAS or Glass Cages.

Both DAS and DFW will have options for standard, low-iron, or star fire glass.

And if you want to go acrylic then MRC is one of the best options in the nation... every time we've used them for large custom sumps and other applications we have been very happy. Plus they are local here in GA so pick-up might be available for saving money on shipping.

Hope this helps.

Jakub

Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Manager
Premier Aquatics - (770) 321-8404

aXiomatic - taken for granted : self-evident or unquestionable.

Old 01-10-2017, 4:05 PM   #3
Formerly leveldrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXio View Post
I would go with DAS over Glass Cages personally. Reviews and experiences with Glass Cage seem to be very hit or miss. I guess there is a reason they are so cheap. And none of the major brand manufactures make aquariums that large. So custom made will pretty much be the only route.

We use DAS for a lot of our custom aquariums and are always very happy with the results. Their prices are very good in my opinion for the quality and and warranty you get. While rare they will fully backup and take responsibility for any design mistakes or flaws.

Only other place we trust for our custom applications is DFW, but I'm not sure if they will deal with customers directly. You might have to go through a store to use them. I will say their quality is very high-end... about as perfect as you can get... but you are going to pay more then DAS or Glass Cages.

Both DAS and DFW will have options for standard, low-iron, or star fire glass.

And if you want to go acrylic then MRC is one of the best options in the nation... every time we've used them for large custom sumps and other applications we have been very happy. Plus they are local here in GA so pick-up might be available for saving money on shipping.

Hope this helps.

Jakub

thanks for the help. on DAS sight they seem to only sell complete setups with stands and canopy, can you get them just a tank with drilled for a synergy overflow or soemthing like that?

Old 01-10-2017, 4:14 PM   #4
Treasurer
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Johns Creek
Other Interests: Golf, boating, scuba, stamp collecting, DIY, family, cancer & heart attack survivor
My guess is they sell them as complete setups so they can insure their warranty.

As for glass tanks...I don't know much in the custom realm but I do know in acrylic that MRC is one of the highest respected companies in the nation. You'd be very surprised where and to whom they provide tanks to.

LinkedIn
Old 01-10-2017, 6:51 PM   #5
Premier Aquatics
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Sponsor

ARC BoD

Quote:
thanks for the help. on DAS sight they seem to only sell complete setups with stands and canopy, can you get them just a tank with drilled for a synergy overflow or soemthing like that?
I have many times only ordered an aquarium from them no problem.

But keep in mind that what they do for a vendor/store like us and what they are willing to do for customers might be completely different. Companies like DAS and DFW mainly deal with stores and vendors and not directly to the consumer.

They might not sell you just a tank for the reason Jeff mentioned above. Or if they do they might not warranty it because they have no idea what kind of stand it will be sitting on... a stand that isn't built right can easy cause issue with an aquarium.

You might be better working with your preferred fish store of choice on this. They should be able to get you the aquarium for exact price you would order it for directly yourself from them. These places are very big on protecting their vendors so they will not undercut them on price to sell direct to consumer. Those companies prefer to do business that way.

Old 01-10-2017, 7:00 PM   #6
SPS Lover
ARC Member

City: cumming
Other Interests: lizards,old cars,family
Planet aquarium will make 8foot tanks

Old 01-10-2017, 7:02 PM   #7
Premier Aquatics
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Sponsor

ARC BoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacolt View Post
Planet aquarium will make 8foot tanks
Planet Aquarium = DFW

Old 01-11-2017, 3:57 PM   #8
Formerly leveldrummer

Quote:
I have many times only ordered an aquarium from them no problem.

But keep in mind that what they do for a vendor/store like us and what they are willing to do for customers might be completely different. Companies like DAS and DFW mainly deal with stores and vendors and not directly to the consumer.

They might not sell you just a tank for the reason Jeff mentioned above. Or if they do they might not warranty it because they have no idea what kind of stand it will be sitting on... a stand that isn't built right can easy cause issue with an aquarium.

You might be better working with your preferred fish store of choice on this. They should be able to get you the aquarium for exact price you would order it for directly yourself from them. These places are very big on protecting their vendors so they will not undercut them on price to sell direct to consumer. Those companies prefer to do business that way.
You guys are vendors of theirs right? Have you sold any of these setups with the steel stand and leveling feet? Im worried the feet have such a small foot print that they would actually cause issues on a massive tank. If I got a 325 8 ft tank that has 6 leveling feet on the stand, and if the feet are only a square inch or so each, thats over 3000 pounds divided onto 6 feet. Will my subfloor over the basement support that? at best its 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood, but Im betting its one layer!

Old 01-11-2017, 6:36 PM   #9
SPS Lover
ARC Member

City: cumming
Other Interests: lizards,old cars,family
Quote:
Planet Aquarium = DFW
you say that like I read your post.

Old 01-11-2017, 7:30 PM   #10
Premier Aquatics
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Sponsor

ARC BoD

Quote:
You guys are vendors of theirs right? Have you sold any of these setups with the steel stand and leveling feet? Im worried the feet have such a small foot print that they would actually cause issues on a massive tank. If I got a 325 8 ft tank that has 6 leveling feet on the stand, and if the feet are only a square inch or so each, thats over 3000 pounds divided onto 6 feet. Will my subfloor over the basement support that? at best its 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood, but Im betting its one layer!
Yes we are. Most tanks about 150+ gallons from them come standard with the steel support stands. We have not ever had any issue that I know of. At least not since I've been working at Premier. But I'm no structural engineer... So please take that for what it's worth. If you are in the least bit worried about it, I think it is worth it to get a professional opinion.

I do know that the feet they come with use standard size threading so I would think there are other options for other feet you could look into. You could also not use the feet, but then you lose the only real way to level a steel stand since you don't really want shim it and it would only really bump you up to like 2+ square inches per foot.

Coincidentally we had this monster arrive at the store today for a new build we are doing. 400+ gallons...

Old 01-12-2017, 7:27 PM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: buford
Other Interests: Havin Fun
Clear vision makes all kids of custom sizes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #12
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: vinings
Which way do the floor joists run?

The more joists that run across the length of it the better.

If you set the tank up across them and not parallel to them it will be fine.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #13
ARC Member
ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Suwanee
Other Interests: Diving, Motorcycles...
I'd highly recommend working with an LFS you trust. You really want someone on your side to take care of probably the most important part of the entire system: your DT. Not only do you get their support, etc., but you get to take advantage of the relationship they have built with the manufacturer.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Formerly leveldrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag freak View Post
Which way do the floor joists run?

The more joists that run across the length of it the better.

If you set the tank up across them and not parallel to them it will be fine.
The joists arent the issue, I can easily add supports and beams and walls beneath to tank to strengthen it anyway I need to support any amount of weight. Im more paranoid about putting 4000lbs on 6 leveling feet and them not punching through the 3/4" plywood. that will be a LOT of pressure on those small pressure points.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
Formerly leveldrummer

Quote:
Yes we are. Most tanks about 150+ gallons from them come standard with the steel support stands. We have not ever had any issue that I know of. At least not since I've been working at Premier. But I'm no structural engineer... So please take that for what it's worth. If you are in the least bit worried about it, I think it is worth it to get a professional opinion.

I do know that the feet they come with use standard size threading so I would think there are other options for other feet you could look into. You could also not use the feet, but then you lose the only real way to level a steel stand since you don't really want shim it and it would only really bump you up to like 2+ square inches per foot.
Is that their "slim" overflow design? Ive requested info about it and recieved nothing back. Do you know what exactly that entails?

If you guys order a tank for me, Could it come with the option to only have the back drilled for one of the various ghost style overflows? Would have have the templates for that or would I need to buy the overflow I want and set it to them first?

Old 01-13-2017, 1:30 PM   #16
Premier Aquatics
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC Sponsor

ARC BoD

Quote:
Is that their "slim" overflow design? Ive requested info about it and recieved nothing back. Do you know what exactly that entails?

If you guys order a tank for me, Could it come with the option to only have the back drilled for one of the various ghost style overflows? Would have have the templates for that or would I need to buy the overflow I want and set it to them first?
Not sure if they will be willing to use some one else Overflow design. I'm guessing not for warranty/liability reasons. That is just the standard overflow design for Planet/DWF. I think the slim design you are thinking of is from DAS. Both DAS and Planet are gong to have internal overflow designs, I would have to check with them to see if there are any external overflow designs they offer. But they can make it so it drains either from the bottom of the tank or the back if you prefer it that way. DAS offers a overflow that is internal but doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the aquarium... instead it stops half way and drains out the back of the aquarium.

They

Old 01-13-2017, 3:12 PM   #17
Formerly leveldrummer

I just think they tank height overflows are a waste of space, even a half length one still protrudes out into the tank too much, I love the external overflow box options I see everywhere these days. external with a bean animal overflow is the way to go IMO.

Old 01-13-2017, 6:52 PM   #18
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: buford
Other Interests: Havin Fun
Are you talking about an external overflow box? PM me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk