Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Do It Yourself
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 03-09-2013, 7:22 PM   #121
2014 ARC Vice-President & Admin
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Lawrenceville
State: GA
Other Interests: 3D Printing, DIY
Send a message via AIM to GiulianoM Send a message via Yahoo to GiulianoM Send a message via Skype™ to GiulianoM
Its not so much, you can get a 200mm wide roll for $30:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-High-Tempe...-/200615569701

LinkedIn
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #122

City: Barnesville
I got my printer working I'm still dialing it in and learning a lot about everything. One issue I was having was vertical steps on z axis I had a aha moment when I stumbled upon a thread that explained setting up steps calculation based off of the thread pitch when I realized since my machine uses 5/16-18 rod instead of metric rod I had to find out the correct number and input it.back into sprinter and upload it to the board. That fixed things instantly then I realized I did not have enough tension on my carrier. Im still tweaking my extrusion amount using extrusion multiplier I almost think I'm extruding too much by like 0.02 percent cause during infill the filament comes out just a bit much.

The other issue I have is my print bed seems to sit lower in the middle then the edges so once I get it level across all 8 points like u recommended its too tall in the middle so I need to make a central brace to get the bed flat

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-12-2013, 1:03 PM   #123
ARC BoD

ARC Member

Send a message via AIM to GiulianoM Send a message via Yahoo to GiulianoM Send a message via Skype™ to GiulianoM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperClown View Post
I got my printer working I'm still dialing it in and learning a lot about everything. One issue I was having was vertical steps on z axis I had a aha moment when I stumbled upon a thread that explained setting up steps calculation based off of the thread pitch when I realized since my machine uses 5/16-18 rod instead of metric rod I had to find out the correct number and input it.back into sprinter and upload it to the board. That fixed things instantly then I realized I did not have enough tension on my carrier. Im still tweaking my extrusion amount using extrusion multiplier I almost think I'm extruding too much by like 0.02 percent cause during infill the filament comes out just a bit much.

The other issue I have is my print bed seems to sit lower in the middle then the edges so once I get it level across all 8 points like u recommended its too tall in the middle so I need to make a central brace to get the bed flat

Are you printing on top of the glass plate, or on top of the heatbed PCB?

The glass plate is pretty much guaranteed to be dead flat.

On my reprappro Mendel, the glass plate is clipped to an aluminum plate, which is sandwiched with the heatbed PCB and a MDF insulator board underneath.

I got a 12x12" granite surface plate for checking the flatness of my aluminum, and it's definitely not flat in the corners...

I have a 1/8" plate of aluminum that seems to be flatter, I'm going to try and cut myself a new plate out of it...

LinkedIn
Old 03-12-2013, 2:30 PM   #124

I have glass over the print bed I guess I could double check and see if maybe I have slight warp in my rods for my y axis maybe I dunno

Old 03-19-2013, 3:54 PM   #125

Any updates on your printer? I keep breaking things on mine. I kept getting print jam issues and looked down to find my jhead hot end broken how I do not know

sent from old rotary phone

Old 03-19-2013, 4:03 PM   #126
ARC BoD

ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperClown View Post
Any updates on your printer? I keep breaking things on mine. I kept getting print jam issues and looked down to find my jhead hot end broken how I do not know

I had made a replacement aluminum bed out of some aluminum plate that I had, but one corner is still constantly about 0.2 to 0.3mm out of flat.

I haven't had jamming issues on my print head.

I think my Y rods may be out of parallel alignment and it's slightly twisting the bed as it travels...

I'm going to try and see if I can re-tweak it this weekend and work on it some more.

Also, I ordered some replacement PLA and ABS filament from UtilMachine.com, who reportedly makes some good stuff.

I think the stuff I've been using recently is of a lower quality - it should stick to the glass bed, but doesn't... and it sticks almost too well to blue tape.

I also ordered some ABS and kapton tape to try out...

Also trying to see about getting updated MDF parts laser-cut from a small company here in Atlanta.

These guys: http://www.lasertechatlanta.com/

LinkedIn
Old 03-19-2013, 4:52 PM   #127

That's cool i was thinking about doing this out of acrylic or wood if our machines are the same wonder if we could get in on a group rate I feel like the tolerances of my printed parts could be better and my 3d printer would print better parts.

I ordered my filament from eBay and it has a lot of air bubbles in it mine I ordered some kapton tape but have been using abs juice and it sticks great