Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Member Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 03-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #121
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Acworth
State: GA
Other Interests: Soccer, cars, hiking, bicycling
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilez View Post
Frag looks good to me. You have to be gentle with montis in order to not break them further, but your fingers shouldnt do too much damage.

For glue, I like to put a glob on the frag, dip it into the water, use a toothpick to mash the glue around, and then stick the frag to it. Getting it wet then airating it helps speed the curing process.

They also make an actual accelerator you can put on as well. Glue, then accelorator, then put coral on
This is kind of how I do it. I use a deep tupperware with tank water instead of actually putting it in the tank to help speed the drying process.

I've gotten away from mounting on plugs though. You can use the same process with super glue on rocks though but you are directly handling the frag more.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #122
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

City: Lawrenceville
Quote:
Frag looks good to me. You have to be gentle with montis in order to not break them further, but your fingers shouldnt do too much damage.

For glue, I like to put a glob on the frag plug, dip it into the water, use a toothpick to mash the glue around, and then stick the frag to it. Getting it wet then airating it helps speed the curing process.

They also make an actual accelerator you can put on as well. Glue, then accelorator, then put coral on
Thanks for the tips, I'll try the dip and toothpick method next time and if that doesn't work I'll look into getting some accelerator.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #123
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImSean View Post
This is kind of how I do it. I use a deep tupperware with tank water instead of actually putting it in the tank to help speed the drying process.

I've gotten away from mounting on plugs though. You can use the same process with super glue on rocks though but you are directly handling the frag more.
Good idea with the tupperware. I only glued this one to a plug because it was late, the lights were about to go off and I wanted to get it stabilized. I almost always remove new frags from the plugs and glue directly to the live rock in my tank but this was a quick solution.

Old 03-20-2017, 8:48 PM   #124
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

New Fish!

I picked up two female leopard wrasses and a blue stripe threadfin fairy wrasse (Temminckii) today, acclimated them and tossed them in QT. The Leopard wrasses are out hunting pods like crazy and the blue stripe is a little more timid. All three ate frozen mysis at my LFS, so I'm hoping they all transition to their new homes without incident.

Leopard Wrasses:

Blue Stripe / Threadfin (Temminckii) Wrasse:

...and VIDEO!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #125
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Butler
Are you planning to treat them in any way or just going to observe?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 03-21-2017, 6:47 AM   #126
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperjman View Post
Are you planning to treat them in any way or just going to observe?

I'll observe them for 7 days to make sure they're eating prepared foods and then do a profilactic treatment of prazipro for another 7 days. Two more weeks of observation after that and if no signs of disease/parasites/etc I'll be putting them in the display.

Old 03-28-2017, 1:43 PM   #127
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

Ho-lee mo-lee. That was stressful... My order from Tidal Gardens showed up this morning, so I spent my lunch break (plus some) acclimating, dipping and putting the coral in the tank.

A couple of notable things.
  • Looks like I got a couple of AEFW (acropora eating flatworms, Amakusaplana acroporae) to detach in the CoralRX dip.

• Spotted an aiptasia on the bottom of one of the chalice frag plugs. - broke the end of that frag plug off.
  • I didn't remove any of the corals from their plugs (my usual process) as I was already at a high stress level from receiving that many frags at once.

Left to Right
  1. Pink Sand Dollar Monti
  2. Frogskin Acro
  3. Neon Green Monti
  4. Strawberry Patch Monti
  5. Purple Haze Monti
  6. Purple Bonsai Acro
  7. Sunset Monti
  8. Superman Monti

Left to Right
  1. Red Stripe Chalice
  2. Hills Have Eyes Chalice
  3. Pink Floyd Chalice
  4. Hollywood Stunner Chalice

I hope the CoralRX dip and the Bayer dip handled the AEFWs. I'm very stressed about this. What should my next steps be? I'm thinking I'll remove all the frags from the frag plugs tonight and reglue them all to new frag plugs to observe for a while before placing the corals in the rockwork? I realize I probably should have just done this before placing them in the tank.

Ugh. I really hope I didn't introduce any pests into the tank.

Old 03-28-2017, 2:06 PM   #128
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
Eggs are usually at the base of the coral or on the plug, if removing is not an option, id scrub the **** out of that plug with a toothbrush, and then dip again.

I'd also probably let him know

Old 03-28-2017, 2:37 PM   #129
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

Quote:
Eggs are usually at the base of the coral or on the plug, if removing is not an option, id scrub the **** out of that plug with a toothbrush, and then dip again.

I'd also probably let him know
I did send an e-mail with photos first thing. I was nice about it, just wanted to let him know.

I think most of the frags will be easy enough to remove from the existing plug and reglue to a new plug... I'm going to tackle this tonight for sure. I should have done it earlier.

Old 04-06-2017, 2:13 PM   #130
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

Last night, I mounted the Chalice frags on small pieces of live rock rubble so that I can move them around a bit once I see how far the sweepers extend. I placed them all on the lower part of the left island. I'll post a picture or two this evening. I still need to mount up the acros and montis but I ran out of time last night.

I'll be dosing Vibrant again tonight, I skipped last week and I'm moving to a bi-weekly dosing schedule rather than weekly. I didn't get any significant rise in Nitrates or Algae growth by skipping a week so I'm hoping this new dosing schedule will help even out the NO3 swings and reduce my dependence on KNO3.

Since picking up the Hannah ULR Phosphorus checker I've noticed that my PO4 levels are dangerously close to 0. I'm seeing very lower numbers than I'd like. .012 ppm last week and .003 ppm last night. To battle this I'm going to increase my feedings a bit more. I'm hoping that once I bring the three new wrasses over to the tank it'll help bring the nutrients up a little more.

I'm dealing with a bit of STN on the montipora Setosa, although it's showing decent color and growth otherwise. I may end up having to frag it to save it. Hoping to increase the phosphates some and see the recession/bleaching stop.

Old 04-07-2017, 9:20 AM   #131
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

Quick FTS 04/07/2017:

Left Island:

See the chalices mounted on their shiny new start white rubble homes? Me too. Hopefully the rubble darkens up quickly, it's quite an eyesore now. The green psammocora refuses to look good under the full 8 bulbs, it just looks brown... Under the 2 bulbs of actinic and purple at sunrise and sunset it looks great though. :/ The Montipora spongodes is still regaining its color from when it bleached/browned out but it's well on it's way to recovery. The montipora setosa isn't looking great, to be honest. It's pale and has some STN. Not sure what's going on there.

Right Island:

Things look fairly good over here on this side, save for the Cyphastrea issues I've got going on. It's still showing great polyp extension but the blue/green base is bleaching a bit and the polyps don't have the color they once had. The chameleon acro, red planet and red digi are all showing great encrusting.

I'm hoping the tank is just going through some new tank swings still and things will continue to improve as I control the parameters and keep them stable.

Sorry the pictures aren't great. I'll need to bust out the DSLR for some better shots. That'll wait until I get the rest of the frags mounted up. Now I just need to decide where to put them.

Old 04-07-2017, 8:57 PM   #132
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Butler
It looks really good man. Once it grows out some it will be full of color!!

Old 04-09-2017, 4:23 PM   #133
120 Gallon Reef
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperjman View Post
It looks really good man. Once it grows out some it will be full of color!!

Hoping so! I'm really looking forward to the tank continuing to mature and grow into something beautiful. I'm still trying to get a handle on how the tank likes to be dealt with for optimal coral health. I think I find what works and I keep tweaking it, some tweaks for better or worse, I suppose.