Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Reef Discussion
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #81
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Kathleen
State: GA
Other Interests: My family, my faith, cars, hunting, sports
Ha maybe we should start a new Thread called "The Magical Vortech Vs The Fire Starting Jebo "

I understand when you drop $400, $800, $1200 on something your going to be passionate about it. Even if its a $1200 bucket of manure, your gonna take care of that bucket! (Trust me, I used to be a chicken farmer!) At the same time we need to look at what the purpose of these two pumps are and their cost vs function analysis. I go back to the car argument. The ultimate point is to get from A to B. Sure you can buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini (Both very passionate car owners BTW) but a Ford Model T will basically do the same thing. Not everyone can afford the top products but that doesn't meen their shouldn't be a more affordable option for the rest of us.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #82
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
It's a knockoff. By that definition alone, there is no comparison. I don't need to own one to draw that conclusion.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #83
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Tyrone
Other Interests: Old Cars, Fast Cars, gardening
For some reason, I thought the Jebo wires were outside the tank as well, perhaps because of the Vortec references....that is a definite bummer, but still worth looking at for the price and flow...

From a comparison perspective, if I were to buy a Vortec, it would be for the outside the tank wires, configurability, (i.e. linking 2 together for wave mode), reliability, and general sexiness.

Not sure I would buy a Jebo for any of those reasons. Jebo would win for me on water movement and price. I have 4 Korallias in my tank now and it would be great to take all them out for one Jebo PH...

Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #84
Reefer Bee
ARC Member

City: Dacula
I agree, if money was no object I'd would own a couple vortechs. I've heard from all owners that they have top notch costumer support. I knew before ordering, like Dylan said, these pumps will probably have little to no customer support. I know I took a chance but for $110 I'm okay with that. Unless it frys my tank lol

Just like everyone else in the hobby I too want the best gear for my tank. What I can say is the wp40 is a huge improvement over my controllable koralia powerheads. I am completely satisfied with my purchase and feel like the wp40 is a great alternative to the more expensive powerheads available.

As of now these can be controlled via variable power supply, the controller that they come with or PWM module. Hopefully once I receive my pwm module I will be able to control my wp40 with my apex and create my own modes.

I will try and post a video of mine soon, if anyone wants to see a wp40 in action before they buy one please PM me.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brchapm View Post
For some reason, I thought the Jebo wires were outside the tank as well, perhaps because of the Vortec references....that is a definite bummer, but still worth looking at for the price and flow...

From a comparison perspective, if I were to buy a Vortec, it would be for the outside the tank wires, configurability, (i.e. linking 2 together for wave mode), reliability, and general sexiness.

Not sure I would buy a Jebo for any of those reasons. Jebo would win for me on water movement and price. I have 4 Korallias in my tank now and it would be great to take all them out for one Jebo PH...
I believe they have a patient of the wire on the outside of the tank.

Edit: Patent no patient lol

Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #85
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Tyrone
Other Interests: Old Cars, Fast Cars, gardening
...Also have to say I have a lot of love for early adopters, (electronics, skimmers, power heads), as they help fund the innovation that help us fiscally challenged individuals enjoy the lower cost, mass produced solutions!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #86
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Macon
Other Interests: Soccer, Coaching my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFCDeitz View Post
I think its pretty stupid to have to pay separate shipping. Another scam to get more cash.
But not stupid to pay $450 for a power head?? Hmmm who is the bigger scammer, the one who convinces u to pay $300 more than u should or the one who convince u to pay $30 more than u should?

Of course i would be sensitive as well if i paid $900+ on 2 power heads and all of a sudden there was something out there that had the potential to replace it for 1/8th the cost of it. Of course if i could afford a Vortec, i would probably have a different attitude whatsoever, lol. I guess if i could afford it, there would probably be a few other things i would purchase first.

Last edited by ddaddy2420; 03-07-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #87
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Macon
Other Interests: Soccer, Coaching my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaddy2420 View Post
But not stupid to pay $450 for a power head?? Hmmm who is the bigger scammer, the one who convinces u to pay $300 more than u should or the one who convince u to pay $30 more than u should?

Of course i would be sensitive as well if i paid $900+ on 2 power heads and all of a sudden there was something out there that had the potential to replace it for 1/8th the cost of it. Of course if i could afford a Vortec, i would probably have a different attitude whatsoever, lol. I guess if i could afford it, there would probably be a few other things i would purchase first.
There is no need to argue here, the original post was me asking if anyone was using it and if so what were their findings and feedback. I have no interest in people posting about how much they like their Vortec's and why its superior to this product so please keep to the topic.

If you own one or want to own one then this thread is for you. If you do own one, have you made any modifications to it. Have you gotten it to run with a controller? I know one of the guys on reefcentral posted that he had his reefkeeper lite controlling his. I'd be interested in how he did this or if we had anyone that was able to do this.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #88
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: macon
Well I'm one of the stupid ones that paid $900 for two power heads but my goal for this year on my inwall 125 was to not have any power cords in the water at all, not even in the sump.so as soon as I finish my manifold system to run my reactors my mission will be accomplished.however I just bought a 92 corner tank from another member and it will be starting out on a budget so looks like I can be the test subject for someone that will own both.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #89
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
I've read countless thread about vortech vs. "whatever". It seems like those that don't own vortechs always seem to try and make those that do out to be some snobby aquarists who believe they're better. That's simply just not the case. I don't recall anyone bashing this product. Simply put its a knockoff, why would one expect quality out of a company that specializes in ripping off other products, unsafe knockoffs at that. The only thing I've heard from vortech owners is that 1: these will never be able to compare to a vortech and 2: you get what you pay for.

No one has ever said or implied that vortech owners were better aquarists.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #90

City: Alpharetta
Send a message via Yahoo to KnightMetro
Personally I'm glad there are finally options to be a reef enthusiast for MUCH less of an investment than 5 years ago.

This reminds me of several years ago when those who went out and spent $2k-4K on a LED system (when they first hit the market) and how they all seemed to look dwon at the MH and PC guys who couldn't afford it and all asked to justify the asinine cost.

It's not about "what you can afford". It's why in the world would I pay that?

I'm a successful guy, but I'm not paying $1,000 for a couple little electric motors with a propeller on them. I will gladly grab a couple $100 ones that will essentially give me the same outcome I'm looking for and leave hundreds left for me to stock my tank with.

Honestly, when looking at the Jebo and the Vortech for my first powerheads, there is nothing I have read anywhere that makes me think the extra $400-$800 is worth it for the Vortechs. I would never pay that much anyway. It's a pump....not a 60" laser thin HDTV.... it's a PUMP.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #91
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Quote:
I know one of the guys on reefcentral posted that he had his reefkeeper lite controlling his.
I think this guy was just running it on timers with the Reefkeeper.(On, Off, On, Off, not hard to set up)

I also understand were PFCDeitz is comming from. I think this is a great deal but a rip off with the shipping. I know its being shipped from another country but they should be able to do something.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #92

City: Prattville
State: AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by brchapm View Post

Finally someone who gets it. 100% thumbs up.

I'm not saying Vortecs are any better than other powerheads(sans the zero percent chance of frying your tank and aesthetics). All power heads move water...that's what we're after. Saying that a Jebo compares to a Vortec is extremely misleading.

This being said...I am not ruling one of these out. I may buy one myself.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #93
No one
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Auburn
I'd like to see the powerhead in action first. I'd also like to see a a multimeter test after 6 months to make sure it won't be nuking the tank.

Some lessons are later learned.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #94

City: Alpharetta
Send a message via Yahoo to KnightMetro
There is a 31 page thread over at RC about it from just one month of use.

Goes over tests, video, customizing, and 100% of everyone that has used to so far is blow away by it. Especially how quiet they are. There are people putting ONE of these in all the way up to 240's and getting amazing results. You actually have to tune it down for it not to blast a 120, 180. They are releasing a smaller version, the WP25, in April for around $50.

And yes, these have been tested by people who have the MP40's side by side. Go and read....they are looking to sell their MP40's after trying it.

I'm in for one here soon and two if they release the WP25. I'm taking these great results and seeing what it can do for my tank.

Hmm.... one of these providing the same flow as two MP40's.... and costing 1/8 the $$...

I think that's more than enough to look at these BEFORE you look at Vortech. Imagine $700 more in livestock in your tank.

Last edited by KnightMetro; 03-09-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #95

City: Prattville
State: AL
I would also like to point out...quieter means less friction. Which equates to less wear. The issue I'm concerned with is electrical and electrical seals

Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #96
No one
ARC BoD

ARC Member

In 6 months to a year, if they are solid, I may get some... Time will tell. Last time I jumped into the newest fad(LEDs) I learned a very very very valuable lesson. Let the guys who buy the first and second generations of the products experience all the problems... I'll be waiting

I'll patiently watch and wait... However I would love to see what you guys think about them/what mods you come up with.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #97
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped Tide View Post
In 6 months to a year, if they are solid, I may get some... Time will tell. Last time I jumped into the newest fad(LEDs) I learned a very very very valuable lesson. Let the guys who buy the first and second generations of the products experience all the problems... I'll be waiting

I'll patiently watch and wait... However I would love to see what you guys think about them/what mods you come up with.
That's another reason I want to wait till the WP25 comes out. Less cost = somewhat less risk and hopefully they will have fixed any problems they found with the WP40'S.

Are these Vortech killers? Probably not. But they do fill a role as an affordable alternate to an extremely overpriced section of the reef hobby market.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #98
No one
ARC BoD

ARC Member

Something to consider:

If the pump is gone/dead, most of the folks who have expressed interest in owning these pumps also express that they don't mind the risk of loosing $100 to questionable customer service.

However, they also state they are not willing to pay 4x the price for a product, that if it fails them, they will be taken care of with AMERICAN guaranteed customer service.

Interesting: some express the will to potentially loose $100, but not exhibit the desire to save up for a "known" solid product.

I'm not bashing anyone for their choices. Just an observation. Some folks pay more to avoid risk.

Old 03-09-2013, 1:22 AM   #99
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Quote:
Some folks pay more to avoid risk.
I agree completely. However just because you pay more for something and its guaranteed in American doesn't mean there is no risk. Def less risk but it doesn't remove it completely.

Also some people have a hard time justifying the idea of paying $400 for a pump. Basically I can talk my wife into letting me buy two of these but she would die if I spent $400 on another pump.

I don't think its fair to question their customer service up to this point either. They have responded to most emails so far. We will have to hold judgement on their service when that time arrives.

Old 03-09-2013, 1:49 AM   #100
No one
ARC BoD

ARC Member

No doubt that $200 for 2 is a much easier sale than $400 for one! I have a wife too!

I have a few vortech pumps... Fwiw, I bought/traded for them all as used equitment. It's great when you can use the things you grow as barter material.

As far as the "rule of price" with your wife: everything is $20