Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Site Suggestions and Issues
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 04-27-2012, 9:53 AM   #41
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Kennesaw
State: GA
Other Interests: bodybuilding, Jiu jitsu, mma, guns, fishing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped Tide View Post
My views aren't for everyone.

I value different things in this hobby than being able to sell something to someone that doesn't care enough to support me.

I would rather give away frags to a friend than sell them to a stranger. It took an effort to become part of this community, and I put forth that effort because I WANTED to and I care about this club, the people, and the hobby.

Are there not enough paid members to buy your goods? I think we have about 520 paid members at the moment. Are those odds not good enough for you?

If dollar bills are all that matter to folks, so be it. Maybe I am in the wrong place. I was under the impression people wanted this club to be less Craigslist-like.

Advice is always free. Think of buying a membership as like buying a membership to sam's club. If you want the option of a better price over all, you have a small fee to pay. Other wise, you are welcome to keep your business at Walmart.

I have talked with users before, and asked why they haven't become a paid member. The general response was: why should I? I can see all the for sale stuff and most fish store still give me a discount when I start talking about the club.

When the club restricted selling things, I watched many registered users sign up. Make it more restricted, and more people will sign up. This is a privilege, not a right.

Just a thought but , Lets say Bob ( paying member) a good friend in the club needed a new skimmer because he bought a larger tank from Shane in the club( paying member ) but he had his skimmer and a few other things listed to sell but everyone here in the club 500 + (paying members) didn't want or need his skimmer or stuff. But there are thousands of people who might not be a paying members that just might not join because they are a little far out of Atlanta or Ga. and still give information and support by purchases online or driving up every once in awhile to sponsers.But selling to a non member might help Bob ( paying member) sell his skimmer and help him buy a new skimmer which in turn helps OUR community, Bob. It might not be about the money it was about helping Bob sell his skimmer and get a new one.
I do think buying should be allowed to non members but selling here should be members only? I do Understand the thought just like Sams ( a Value) and this club is a value for sure I just don't like the idea of not letting non members buy here?

( I have a family membership paid and plan on being here for many years) I did register and look for a little while first but I enjoy the club and want to support my new friends and club members also.

Last edited by containerman1; 04-27-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #42

City: Holly Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped Tide View Post
It takes Stacy about 1 minute per card to make. ~520 minutes is a lot of time to donate... Just sayin.
It doesn't, and shouldn't, need to all fall on Stacy. The problem is not keeping up with new members but getting the backlog cleared out. It needs to be done no matter how you spin it so why not just get it done? A card was promised when we joined and is required by some sponsors so it needs to be provided. This does not seem too difficult of a concept to understand.

Roughly 9 hours of effort will make all of this go away. It seems to me that the investment of time is well worth the payoff (just to get us all to shut up).

Thank you Stacy for hanging in there with this and taking the lead on getting this all done.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #43
CJ
ARC Member

City: Vinings
maybe the membership card thing could be looked at another way... my idea would be that in the "User CP" dropdown box at the top of the screen have a link where members can print out their own paper cards and laminate them if they like. I for one refuse to carry around a receipt to show LFS owners, i would have had one in my wallet for years. IT wise i dont think it would be hard to setup a .pdf file that pulls from an excel file to accomplish this.

For someone that has wanted a card for a few years now, I would be completely ok with having to print and laminate myself

LinkedIn
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #44

City: Lawrenceville
Send a message via AIM to Thanh386 Send a message via Yahoo to Thanh386
Stacy has a lot of patience. If job fell on me I would be bored in minutes and get creative with names and pics.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #45
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: covington
Other Interests: cars,aquariums
agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj25 View Post
maybe the membership card thing could be looked at another way... My idea would be that in the "user cp" dropdown box at the top of the screen have a link where members can print out their own paper cards and laminate them if they like. I for one refuse to carry around a receipt to show lfs owners, i would have had one in my wallet for years. It wise i dont think it would be hard to setup a .pdf file that pulls from an excel file to accomplish this.

For someone that has wanted a card for a few years now, i would be completely ok with having to print and laminate myself

+1000000

Old 04-27-2012, 2:40 PM   #46
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Marietta
How about multiple membership levels based on what you will be participating in. Start with a basic level that supports the cost of this forum. I don't see why all of us should pay to subsidize things like the frag meeting and cook out and holiday party that we will never attend.

Old 04-27-2012, 2:53 PM   #47
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Johns Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by izoid View Post
It doesn't, and shouldn't, need to all fall on Stacy. The problem is not keeping up with new members but getting the backlog cleared out. It needs to be done no matter how you spin it so why not just get it done? A card was promised when we joined and is required by some sponsors so it needs to be provided. This does not seem too difficult of a concept to understand.

Roughly 9 hours of effort will make all of this go away. It seems to me that the investment of time is well worth the payoff (just to get us all to shut up).

Thank you Stacy for hanging in there with this and taking the lead on getting this all done.
This is the fallacy of volunteering. Everyone loves to offer to volunteer, but ultimately never does. Yes, this is a generalization, but it has happened SO MUCH witn this club. As a previous officer, I have felt my fair share of if. Inevitably, people with the best intentions fall by the wayside with their own lives, responsibilities, desires, and their own use of time.

So, enough double talk (by me and others). All those willing to volunteer to do whatever the coordinator (Stacy) needs to get this done, lets start a volunteer thread. Bear in mind, it will need to coincide with her schedule and parameters. So, if this is so *EASY*, lets make it happen.

Old 04-27-2012, 4:16 PM   #48

City: Macon
Other Interests: My wife, my dog, guns, video games, DIY projects, padawan woodworker
I like the original idea of maybe a cheaper/tiered membership that didnt come with the discounts. There are many of us who are far enough away from Atlanta that the discount doesn't really make that big of a difference. If I am going to drive almost an hour to the nearest sponsor the additional discount is not going to make or break a sale. With that being said I joined this club because I wanted to support the cause and to give back to the "community" that I feel like I am slowly becoming a part of. I also like the idea of having longer periods of membership available as well as the different tiers. Honestly I am happy with things are going now but I also have not been here long enough to know any better lol

Old 04-27-2012, 4:50 PM   #49
ARC Holiday Partier

ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Scottdale
Other Interests: SCUBA
I am hoping that with the card order I received yesterday I can have things totally caught up within the next couple of weeks.

Old 04-27-2012, 5:14 PM   #50

City: Savannah
Other Interests: Cars, football, scuba, nachos & beer, movies
Quote:
Originally Posted by containerman1 View Post
Just a thought but , Lets say Bob ( paying member) a good friend in the club needed a new skimmer because he bought a larger tank from Shane in the club( paying member ) but he had his skimmer and a few other things listed to sell but everyone here in the club 500 + (paying members) didn't want or need his skimmer or stuff. But there are thousands of people who might not be a paying members that just might not join because they are a little far out of Atlanta or Ga. and still give information and support by purchases online or driving up every once in awhile to sponsers.But selling to a non member might help Bob ( paying member) sell his skimmer and help him buy a new skimmer which in turn helps OUR community, Bob. It might not be about the money it was about helping Bob sell his skimmer and get a new one.
I do think buying should be allowed to non members but selling here should be members only? I do Understand the thought just like Sams ( a Value) and this club is a value for sure I just don't like the idea of not letting non members buy here?

( I have a family membership paid and plan on being here for many years) I did register and look for a little while first but I enjoy the club and want to support my new friends and club members also.
I agree. I don't live anywhere near Atlanta anymore, I used to though and that is how I found this site.

I cannot make it to meetings nor the sponsors stores for the discount, but I enjoy the hobby. I don't have a LFS here in Savannah, we have a Petsmart that sells nothing reef/marine related, so I like to buy things online.

I don't see why not being a paid member should shut you out from buying or selling. I personally don't sell anything, but I do buy which is in its way a contribution.

Old 04-27-2012, 5:22 PM   #51

City: Holly Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaneyapanda View Post
This is the fallacy of volunteering. Everyone loves to offer to volunteer, but ultimately never does. Yes, this is a generalization, but it has happened SO MUCH witn this club. As a previous officer, I have felt my fair share of if. Inevitably, people with the best intentions fall by the wayside with their own lives, responsibilities, desires, and their own use of time.

So, enough double talk (by me and others). All those willing to volunteer to do whatever the coordinator (Stacy) needs to get this done, lets start a volunteer thread. Bear in mind, it will need to coincide with her schedule and parameters. So, if this is so *EASY*, lets make it happen.
Not sure what you mean by "fallacy of volunteering"? I think that this club has seen MANY instances where people stepped up and volunteered their time. The trouble is that making cards is not so glamorous and not too many people are passionate about it.

Nobody ever said it was "easy" but that does not mean it is not doable. I think Stacy has a solution for the issue and is working to take care of it.

I am still looking for that thread that you wanted to start.

Old 04-27-2012, 5:25 PM   #52
ARC Member

City: Chatsworth
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerrat View Post
How about multiple membership levels based on what you will be participating in. Start with a basic level that supports the cost of this forum. I don't see why all of us should pay to subsidize things like the frag meeting and cook out and holiday party that we will never attend.
+100%

Sorta sounds like some do not want people that live outside of Atlanta to be members.

Old 04-27-2012, 6:12 PM   #53
No one
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Auburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce 1 View Post
+100%

Sorta sounds like some do not want people that live outside of Atlanta to be members.
How do you come to that conclusion? The first plan makes it cheaper for people who don't live in Atlanta to participate.

People who currently pay the $30 will probably still pay it. For the people that won't pay $30, maybe $20 seems more appealing.

Some lessons are later learned.

Old 04-27-2012, 6:34 PM   #54
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Johns Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by izoid View Post
Not sure what you mean by "fallacy of volunteering"? I think that this club has seen MANY instances where people stepped up and volunteered their time. The trouble is that making cards is not so glamorous and not too many people are passionate about it.

Nobody ever said it was "easy" but that does not mean it is not doable. I think Stacy has a solution for the issue and is working to take care of it.

I am still looking for that thread that you wanted to start.
Believe me, the offers to volunteer compared to the actual volunteering is horribly mismatched. At least in my experience.

We will simply agree to disagree. I think many here have alluded to it being easy (at least enough to complain freely), and I feel people are over passionate about it. Well, the result, that is. Just not the work to do it.

I won't be starting a thread. I didnt volunteer to help. I don't have the time or ability. and I have no issue with the rate or ability of the clubs volunteers to produce. As other do. I see the suggested measures as totally acceptable and easy enough to follow.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #55

City: kennesaw
Other Interests: wine, cars, tv
so heres my .02. and i think this thread is great for the record because im going to steal several ideas that i think were good.

1. tiered membership. price point tbd but longer memberships (upgradeable) will
a. save money (for members wanting longer memberships and for the club on card cost)
b. entice people to upgrade as they get deeper in this hobby.

2. while i like dylans proposal i for one would not want to see the fs threads blocked to non members. i think this hurts those sellers (paid members) who are upgrading equipment and whos target buyer is the beginner looking to start out. i think bringing non members into the mix by allowing them to buy (NOT SELL, THAT WAS A GREAT CHANGE) might entice non members to spring for the membership once they become part of the community. restricting new users (potential members) too much will drive those users elsewhere. let them see the community, thats our strongest asset!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #56

City: Atlanta
Other Interests: House Music (Period)
Why do people not delete their PM's?!?!?!?

Save the persons info in your phone and delete the dang message.

I'm just saying'.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #57
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Cumming
Other Interests: Reefs, is there anything else?
I don't see the need or value in discounted memberships. This adds lots of work for the web developers and other club volunteers for little to no real value. Is $10 really going to kill anyone with a reef tank?

I also don't see the need for gold or platinum memberships. If someone wants to donate extra to the club, simply write a check.

I think the multi-year memberships would solve several problems and actually reduce the load on some parts of the club admin.

And I totally agree with Jeremy, there is a big gap between verbal volunteering and actual volunteering. I see this in another volunteer organization I'm involved with. The same core group of people do all the work until they get burned out. The same happens here. And on that thought, THANK YOU ARC VOLUNTEERS especially Stacy for handling the pressure of this situation with class and grace.

Old 04-28-2012, 5:49 PM   #58

City: Flowery Branch
Other Interests: dogs,birds, motorcycles,
Id like to get my first card before paying for another one