Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Article Discussions
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

City: Dacula
State: GA
US: 56 coral species face extinction danger from warming, acidic seas

More than half of 82 species of coral being evaluated for inclusion under the Endangered Species Act "more likely than not" would go extinct by 2100 if climate policies and technologies remain the same, federal scientists concluded.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...idic-seas?lite

Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Lawrenceville
Other Interests: Politics, Muscle Cars
Global warming....

Global cooling.....

Climate change....

Al Gore.....

Crazy radical environmentalist.....

Green peace....

MSNBC......

What go they all have in common?

I refuse to click, let alone read that garbage.

-In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas-

Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #3

City: covington
Other Interests: cycling hunting fishing
By 2100 the chances of us being here to see the death of the oceans is slim we as a species are to destructive both to our self and the planet. Majority of the people on the planet relie on the ocean for food and our harvesting of apex predators can not keep up with the demand. Look at the costs of china and the see of Japan were over fishing and dumping in to the sea has led to the biggest population of jellyfish in the history of man. Wen the oceans die so will the human race.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
CJ
ARC Member

City: Vinings
Quote:
Originally Posted by falos View Post
By 2100 the chances of us being here to see the death of the oceans is slim we as a species are to destructive both to our self and the planet. Majority of the people on the planet relie on the ocean for food and our harvesting of apex predators can not keep up with the demand. Look at the costs of china and the see of Japan were over fishing and dumping in to the sea has led to the biggest population of jellyfish in the history of man. Wen the oceans die so will the human race.
Can we say extreme?

LinkedIn
Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj25 View Post
Can we say extreme?
Far from it The decline of just the fish not counting coral has went up 1000% in 30 years the shark population is dropping at such a rate that there is little hope for them kind of like the tiger. Witch is a shame swing how they a killed for people with labito issues
In the us flownder shaper grouper amberjack mahimahi have to be over 18"-36" to keep and after a certain size they have to be thrown back most Asian and African countries don't have regulations like the us on fishing.
As far as the human race over population only leads to war

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
CJ
ARC Member

City: Vinings
Quote:
Originally Posted by falos View Post
Far from it The decline of just the fish not counting coral has went up 1000% in 30 years the shark population is dropping at such a rate that there is little hope for them kind of like the tiger. Witch is a shame swing how they a killed for people with labito issues
In the us flownder shaper grouper amberjack mahimahi have to be over 18"-36" to keep and after a certain size they have to be thrown back most Asian and African countries don't have regulations like the us on fishing.
As far as the human race over population only leads to war
Still extreme. Interested in your references for statisctics. And you're keying in on unrelated things to make some point, everyone would agree that the fishing practices of certain countries are terriable but I'm not seeing what you're trying to say

LinkedIn
Old 04-15-2012, 1:16 PM   #7
Formerly mysterybox
ARC Member

City: Flowery Branch
Other Interests: Family,Photography, Art, Notre Dame, History, "Fava Beans and a big Amarone"!
Plus 100!

Old 04-15-2012, 1:31 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Thanh386 Send a message via Yahoo to Thanh386
I blame all the kids peeing in the ocean

Old 04-15-2012, 1:47 PM   #9

There is a lot more involved in the decline of the oceans then just global warming. Drag netting has killed more coral reefs then pollution
Corals are able to take more then most people thank shure there is massive bleaching in sum coral species but at the same time there is just a meny adapting to the changes
As far as our survival we do not eat the fish that live on in the we eat the fish that eat them. you worry about the reefs they will be fine they allways have ben the planet goes through warming and cooling cycles through out the corse of time its nothing new we have just ben helping it along

Old 04-15-2012, 4:02 PM   #10
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

Other Interests: Politics, Muscle Cars
"Federal" Scientist, enough said.

-In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas-

Old 04-15-2012, 4:07 PM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

ARC Super Moderator

City: Douglasville
Other Interests: Family, travelling, SCUBA, guns, cars, computers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgFace View Post
Global warming....

Global cooling.....

Climate change....

Al Gore.....

Crazy radical environmentalist.....

Green peace....

MSNBC......

What go they all have in common?

I refuse to click, let alone read that garbage.
+1000

I'm all for conservation but this sky is falling stuff is freaking old. 40 years ago it was global cooling, 10 years ago it was global warming and according to "respected scientists" seal levels should have risen 10 feet by now.

Now, they call it climate change because they have no real evidence to prove their point and just need a tag to scare people. Never mind the evidence that keeps surfacing that the earth has been this warm, or warmer, before and when we didn't have cars driving around.

A bunch of invented science is all it is. I'd trust an oil company study before I'd trust any government or UN study.

Old 04-15-2012, 4:47 PM   #12
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Cumming
Other Interests: Home Improvement, Woodworking.
If you are as old as I am, you will remember a TV Comercial showing a Native American (back then he would have been called an Indian) paddling a canoe in a polluted river. He had a tear in his eye. That was a bit extreme but not too far from the truth. My point is, being aware and making an effort is good but mamma nature is pretty good at taking care of herself. Should millions across the globe suffer to save the environment? No! But should we use caution and try to protect this rock we are riding on? You bet. But within reason.

Old 04-16-2012, 8:37 AM   #13
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Sponsor

ARC Member

City: Canton
Other Interests: Geocaching, Gold Panning, Kayaking, Camping
When I was a kid, they were predicting the next ice age in my lifetime.

I'm all for conservation, and recycling and other "green" initiatives, they just make sense. I don't like litterbugs either, and will call them out in public when I see somebody throw trash on the ground.

But the whole global warming (aka "climate change") thing is tiresome.

Jenn

Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Forsyth- THE CITY!
Other Interests: karate, gtr, my kids, mtg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennM View Post
When I was a kid, they were predicting the next ice age in my lifetime.

I'm all for conservation, and recycling and other "green" initiatives, they just make sense. I don't like litterbugs either, and will call them out in public when I see somebody throw trash on the ground.

But the whole global warming (aka "climate change") thing is tiresome.

Jenn
i HATE litter bugs! )
Everytime i see one, i will show my kids to drill it into them not to do it. Now throwing an apple or bananna out the window is ok. itll feed something )

Old 04-16-2012, 1:43 PM   #15
No one
ARC BoD

ARC Member

City: Auburn
There are a lot of things killing off coral reefs. A lot of it can be attributed back to human interaction, pollution, disease spread/introduction, etc. The odd seasons probably aren't making anything better. There are natural coral predators, like the crown of thorns star that are growing in numbers. A lot of variables out there. I think that we could do a lot to reverse the effects that human has contributed, but the power lies in the hands that are less concerned with the life of these animals.

Hypithetical situation: let's say it was proven that the giant cargo ships are emitting too much dissolved carbon monoxide into the ocean, and are contributing to lowering the ph of coral reefs. If they banned those ships, the cost of our living would go way up!!! Imagine how much it would cost to fly everything that we import from china to the US.

The question is, do the powers at be choose to sacrifice the comforts they have today in order to save the reefs of tomorrow? Nope, but they will certainly send some scientists out there to say that the carbon monoxide levels have been reduced and everything is good to go.

Some lessons are later learned.