Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > Member Tanks
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 03-21-2012, 8:42 PM   #1

City: Buford
State: GA
DB's Upgraded 58DT

Well it's still in the works and at this point there is still no salt in the water, but there is water in the tank! I will be setting it up within the next two weeks I just have to let the wife decide where it's going and figure out the lighting situation.

I still have to figure out how to plumb the overflow. I have never had a durso, but I had read that the overflow cannot be straight down if it is it will make the gurgling noise. The problem is that the sump is set up so that the overflow connects right underneath the bulkhead. Any suggestions?

Old 03-21-2012, 8:53 PM   #2

City: Acworth
Other Interests: My cars
Straight down does NOT make the noise - any up and down will...

Old 03-21-2012, 9:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRobb View Post
Straight down does NOT make the noise - any up and down will...
That hose is going, it's just what I had that came with the tank. I googled Durso stand pipe and it took me to the guys webpage who invented? the durso and on the FAQ it said the best way to do it is a slight angle and have the pipe only go 2-3 inches under water. If straight down will work then that's better for me!

Also to those who use external pumps how do you deal with the slight hum? The pump is quite, there is no crazy noise but there is a fan noise I guess, that is kind of loud. I was thinking of taking a wood wine box and dynamatting it and putting the pump inside the box. I would leave some holes for air flow but I was hoping to dampen the hum. I assume that if the pump was inside the tank I more than likely wouldn't hear it at all but if I was to put the pump inside the stand I wouldn't have room to get a oversized skimmer.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

City: Barnesville
Looking at the pics it looks like the pump may be slightly touching the stand?, If so that will create a stand if its the fan thats making the hum you may be able to enclose it to help with the noise as long as you don't smother it with no way to get air in or out.

Old 03-22-2012, 7:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperClown View Post
Looking at the pics it looks like the pump may be slightly touching the stand?, If so that will create a stand if its the fan thats making the hum you may be able to enclose it to help with the noise as long as you don't smother it with no way to get air in or out.
I have the bottom feet of the pump about a half inch away from the stand. It's deffinatly just the hum of the pump. It's really not that loud but it's set up in the garage right now so all the noise is amplified.

Old 03-22-2012, 8:23 AM   #6
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Snellville
Other Interests: Working on cars, Fighting in the Army. Games and Guns
Awesome bro!

Old 03-22-2012, 8:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFCDeitz View Post
Awesome bro!
Thanks man, been waiting to see a new one pop up with your name under it!

So at the frag swap I got to see about 3/4 of Melevs talk on sumps, one thing I like and think will fit my style is using a bubble tower over using s filter sock. My sump has a built in filter sock holder but I am thinking of building a 5x5in half square to connect to the top of the filter sock holder that goes to the bottom and having a bubble tower with LR rubble. That main chamber is going to be a refugium/soft coral grow out area. I plan on setting up a small mushroom/zoa propagation area since I am going to be using 2 large PC lights as a fuge light. I will more than likely do 1 65k 1 03 actinic for lighitng down there.

Old 03-22-2012, 8:34 AM   #8
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: dacula
Other Interests: Golf, wood working, guitars, gardening, hydroponics
some of the hum may be coming from the pump sitting on a hard surface. I have seen several people put something under the pump to minimize the vibrations. Any chance you can squeeze a mouse pad under it?

Old 03-22-2012, 8:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDreefs View Post
some of the hum may be coming from the pump sitting on a hard surface. I have seen several people put something under the pump to minimize the vibrations. Any chance you can squeeze a mouse pad under it?
Yea, I bought some couplings so that I can cut up the plumbing to make it fit when I think of something else that needs to be done. I plan to make an enclosure so with foam at the bottom and then either dynamate or some other noise canceling material on the other sides to stop the hum.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #10

Alright, it's set up. I didn't meet my goal of getting everything switched over but it's up and running and not leaking!

Things I still have to fix, durso is still loud, the water makes a loud crashing noise as well as bubbles up a lot when it goes into the sump, anyone got a suggestion?
I still have to hook up the reactors. I just need to find a place for them!
I also need to hook up my controller, right now everything is just hooked up into a DJ strip.

So here is the equipment list..

58 Oceanic DT
20 gallon acrylic sump
Aquatic Life t5HO 6 bulb fixture
Reef Octopus Recirculating DNWB-110 Skimmer
Reef Keeper 2 Controller
Blueline 40 HD return
2 k2 powerheads
1 k3 powerhead
150 watt ehiem heater
BRS dual reactor (I will be splitting it into two singles)
30 lbs of Marco rock in the diplay
1L of Matrix will be in the fuge when it's set up.

So far I am really liking these T5's, I actually like the way it looks without the shimmer.

Sorry I am beat, I have gotten about 8 hours sleep total in two days setting this tank up and I am still not done so iphone pictures since it's whats handy.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Snellville
Other Interests: Working on cars, Fighting in the Army. Games and Guns
Lol the tank is a white blur

Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFCDeitz View Post
Lol the tank is a white blur

Yea, Iphone picture not much to see at this point inside the tank. Just some sand 3 PH's and the new rock pillar.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #13

City: Barnesville
I can picture it looks awesome

Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #14

I'll try to get some better pictures up tomorrow. I have to move everything over since the guy buying my Biocube will be here later in the afternoon.

Old 04-02-2012, 7:55 AM   #15
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Canton
State: ga
Looking good!

Old 04-08-2012, 9:51 PM   #16

I guess it's update time. I haven't had a ton of time this week. Work has been hell due to the holiday so no personal time for me!

Anyways I did take the time to redo my dual brs reactor into two single reactors. Pretty easy DIY for around $10 or so bucks. Both will be ran off the manifold once I decide what to put into the second one! First one has BRS Rox carbon and phosguard. I don't want to do GFO since my tank doesn't really have phosphate issues and don't plan on having many if any SPS in the tank.

Also I have noted that even though I did over do my plumbing I still need more! I want to add another true union ball valve on the main return after the manifold. There is one before the manifold that can limit the water to the whole system including the skimmer and reactors but one after the manifold will allow more control over the flow just to the tank while still allowing plenty of flow to the reactors.

I started hooking up my controller but haven't gotten too far. My only complaint with this new t5 lighting system is it all runs off of one cord. This means I can't control it through my controller. I have to use the controller built into the unit which runs off army time and is kind of a pain to program. I haven't even programmed it, lights are just coming on when I get around to turning them on and off when I feel like they have been on long enough.

I plan on trying out the 4 hour photo period like others on the forums are using. I plan on doing 5 am - 9 am on, then 5pm - 9 pm on. Actinics will only be on for about 30 mins total per lighting cycle. Hopefully this will promote better growth. Either way it will make it viewable better for me since my schedule varies so much.

I want to change my bulb set up soon as well. I plan on doing it bulb by bulb since buying all 6 at once would cost more than I paid for the fixture lol.. If anyone has a good combination that comes out to around a 20k please post.
Attached Pictures
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	36387   Click image for larger version

Name:	FIshtank4-8.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	36388  

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #17

So the 58 started leaking. Just my luck. One of the worst 2 days of my life so far. The fish tank just added to it. So thanks to a really awesome member, I now have a 65. After fixing up the durso, redoing the return and putting in a new center brace the tank is a little over 3/4 full and I am letting the water get up to temp before adding the last rubbermaid with all the live stuff in it. I wont lie, I have just about had enough with the fish tank for a while. After this thing is set up I am taking a break.

Old 04-11-2012, 6:47 AM   #18
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Cumming
Other Interests: Home Improvement, Woodworking.
Hope things get better for you.

Old 04-11-2012, 7:20 AM   #19
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Canton
State: ga
You will make it through! Once you get everything set up its pretty self sufficient

Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Watkinsville
Quote:
Originally Posted by db366 View Post
So the 58 started leaking. Just my luck. One of the worst 2 days of my life so far. The fish tank just added to it. So thanks to a really awesome member, I now have a 65. After fixing up the durso, redoing the return and putting in a new center brace the tank is a little over 3/4 full and I am letting the water get up to temp before adding the last rubbermaid with all the live stuff in it. I wont lie, I have just about had enough with the fish tank for a while. After this thing is set up I am taking a break.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. We have all had our ups and downs with this hobby, but when you get to sit back and watch the fish swim and everything running the way it should, it makes it well worth your efforts (and wallet)!!!!!!! hopefully there were not any damages to live stock or your home!