Go Back   Home > Atlanta Reef Club Forums > New Member Q&A
Register / Join the ARC Community Chat Gallery MemberMap Forums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visit all of our sponsors

Old 08-12-2011, 4:59 AM   #1

City: Atlanta
State: GA
Blenny disappeared?

I've had a Midas blenny in the tank for about 3 weeks now, and day before yesterday he just disappeared. No traces of him anywhere.

All I can think of is that he found that 1" gap between the glass of the tank lid and the back, and went carpet surfing... with two cats in the house, I probably wouldn't find him if he did.

I didn't think they were jumpers, at least not as bad as Firefish. I'm bummed, I liked that little guy!

What can I use to cover up that gap? Any advice would be very appreciated.

Tank is 50 gal, a little over a month old, maybe a month and a half. Live rock, hob protein skimmer, hob marineland filter, koralia powerhead, have been feeding a variety of frozen, pellet, and flake food. Other tank occupants are 2 clownfish about 1" each, red hermits, astreas, and zoanthids. I'm going to take the water to the store to get tested today and see if there's anything off.

Old 08-12-2011, 5:11 AM   #2
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: evans
Other Interests: Anything outdoors, reptiles, skydiving, tattoos, family, martial arts and the Oklahoma Sooners
That sucks! I got home from vacation to the sight of my scooter blenny being gobbled up by one of my scolys...sad day, I loved that little guy! Who knew?!?

Old 08-12-2011, 9:23 AM   #3
Atlanta Reef Club Member
ARC Member

City: Atlanta
Other Interests: Diving, Fishing, Travel, DIY
I lost several fish to jumping before I put a full screen cover on. I even lost two while I had an almost full cover that only had about a 2x4 inch hole for feeding in one corner. Fish can definitely find a gap. I see pics of these really cool open rimless tanks, but I don't know how they keep fish in them.

Old 08-12-2011, 9:30 AM   #4

City: Marietta
Other Interests: girl scout leader
you never know he may still be in there ...2 day after i set up my tank after the move from florida one of my fish went missing and i thought for sure he was dead. THREE MONTHS later he showed up! have no idea where he could have been hiding!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Tangaholic
ARC Member

City: Auburn
Other Interests: Music, Reef keeping, Sports Memorabilia
My Midas blenny that I just got from a Live aquaria group buy jumped as well. I found it on the floor. Got there too late to save it.

Old 08-12-2011, 8:04 PM   #6

City: woodstock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valierran View Post
I've had a Midas blenny in the tank for about 3 weeks now, and day before yesterday he just disappeared. No traces of him anywhere.

All I can think of is that he found that 1" gap between the glass of the tank lid and the back, and went carpet surfing... with two cats in the house, I probably wouldn't find him if he did.

I didn't think they were jumpers, at least not as bad as Firefish. I'm bummed, I liked that little guy!

What can I use to cover up that gap? Any advice would be very appreciated.

Tank is 50 gal, a little over a month old, maybe a month and a half. Live rock, hob protein skimmer, hob marineland filter, koralia powerhead, have been feeding a variety of frozen, pellet, and flake food. Other tank occupants are 2 clownfish about 1" each, red hermits, astreas, and zoanthids. I'm going to take the water to the store to get tested today and see if there's anything off.
a month? That is pretty early to add fish. Unless you had some LR from another tank, your tank would be close to a first cycle.

As for the blenny, did you check in/under the rocks? I have a lawn mover that loves to go in and out of the rocks.