View Full Version : Which camera to buy?

KRB
11-12-2007, 1:09 PM
If you had $800 to spend on a camera kit, which would you buy and why? I am looking at the Nikon D40x or the Canon Rebel Xti. Let it be known that this is for my wife who is an amateur photographer and hasn't had a decent camera in several years.

tnyga
11-12-2007, 1:15 PM
You picked the right one in my book :) Thats what I purchased also..xti

Gwhiz
11-12-2007, 1:20 PM
I'd go for the Nikon, but I have to say that I'm biased as I've only owned Nikon's since college. Current camera is a D70.

wbholwell
11-12-2007, 1:55 PM
My vote is for the XTi. Check out the full review on dpreview.com

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

LorenK
11-12-2007, 2:04 PM
If that Canon still uses the CF card for storing pictures, be wary. It's a great camera but those **** pins break and it's a very expensive fix. I have a broken on right now and I'm very mad.

That being said, I'll likely buy anothe Canon and just be extra careful...only because I have the gear and can just buy the body.

Gwhiz
11-12-2007, 2:05 PM
Is this a surprise for her? The image quality is going to be virtually identical between the two. One key differentiating factor is which one feels more comfortable to her. She should try 'em both out in the store. (but if you're trying to surprise her that'll be difficult!)

jhutto
11-12-2007, 2:13 PM
these two manufacturers dominate the market and its not even close in the professional world. My brother in law does it for a living and he is a Canon person with about $20K worth of gear as he works for a newspaper as the chief photographer taking pictures for college football games. He tells me to look on the sidelines and 90% of the cameras will be the be Canons. When asking him what I should buy for amateur use, he says those two cameras. xti will be slightly more expensive, but you cannot go wrong with either. You have the two best in that price range. Pick what you like the best. Wolf Camera has specials with classes, free printers, gift cards, and BP Photo in NY has some good deals with the 20-135 lens specials for less than others. Lots of options.

roundman
11-12-2007, 2:14 PM
We got the Nikon mainly because it used the same card as our smaller cameras. Just another thing to think about. Oh by the way we really like the Nikon we now have.

Victor626nj
11-12-2007, 2:25 PM
i would go with the canon but the nikon has a better lens thats what would draw me to the nikon but if your not that great with cameras .go with the canon i have always found them to be more user friendly .....oh nonw of this help syou .good luck .and youll be happy either way you go

steagfs
11-12-2007, 4:44 PM
I've never been let down by a nikon. I have a d50 right now and love it.

purpleGORILLA
11-12-2007, 5:08 PM
I have both nikon and canon. I like both, each has their own advantages. I would buy a Canon because there are more lens available locally for you to try out. If you are planning to keep just one len, go for the Nikon.

KRB
11-12-2007, 5:41 PM
Thanks for the input everyone

oceanreefer124
11-12-2007, 5:42 PM
We just bought the Nikon D40X and we love it.

Big D
11-12-2007, 10:20 PM
You might want to check some of the Wolf Cameras around town. I found a brand new Nikon D70s kit with a Nikkor 18-70mm lens for $650. I was going to get a D40x also, but the D70s is alot more camera for the money and they were closing them out. This was a several months ago though, so they may not have any left. I had to go to the store downtown to get it.

Big D

cmjazz
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Nikon and Cannon are the best in the industry. Each have their advantage and disadvantages. In the Pro world, the use of each is close to 50/50. I personally liked the Nikon, after trying both and have used Nikon for 15+ yrs in all my jobs.

The best way to choose to try each out. Go to Wolf/Ritz Camera and try each out. I highly suggest going to the 14th street store (their main lab) and ask any one in their Pro area to try each. They can answer all your question as many use both and are Pros in their own right. Also check B&H Photo and Adorama for pricing.

my 2 cents...

KRB
11-23-2007, 5:10 PM
I just picked up a Rebel xti kit, 70-300 lense, and flash. My wife is stoked. I can't wait to start shooting my tank. I know nothing about cameras so there will be a learning curve, but I am excited to start. i will post the ones that turn out okay. Anyone got any beginner advice for me?

purpleGORILLA
11-24-2007, 9:59 AM
Here is the best advice, try not to take it in programed mode so much. Go to the aperature priority and try out those settings. There are different settings best for different occasions, programed modes are easy but doesn't necessarily take the best picture.

tnyga
11-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Ive found that action mode (sports) with tripod works awesome