View Full Version : Any info on setting-up a Seahorse tank

hopkins
05-12-2006, 8:33 AM
Hi,

We have had a 75G fish/soft coral tank for a few months and all is well with it. My husband and I are considering putting together a seahorse tank with 2-4 ponies for our daughter. I have read some info on the web, I have a book and I have questioned a couple of LFS. Some details are conflictiing.
At this point we do not want to raise any frys.
I would love any hands-on info from anyone with seahorse experience.
What size tank? All males or all females?. Is there a hardier type to start with?
Live rock OK in tank? Mixing plastic plants and macroalge OK?

Thanks for the time and any info.

Rose

Atlanta Aquarium
06-11-2006, 10:07 AM
I read an article the other day on how to raise baby seahorse the other day. This article came from the advice from the Tennessee Aquarium people. They said to feed the baby seahorses live rotifer for about 1 weeks and ween them to 24 hour hatched baby brine shrimp for another 3 to 4 weeks ( I got this far with my baby seahorses then they start to die off) after this feed the baby seahorses with Cyclopes and choped brine shrimp until they get large enough to take on mysis shrimp whole. Hope this will help you. Let me know how it turn out.

skipm
06-16-2006, 11:49 PM
You can mix plastic plants and macroalgaes with no problem (or you could just use one or the other) for hitching posts. If you don't want to have to deal with babies then get one sex, females would be my choice because males can have problems due to their pouch (air getting in it for one).
The tank should be at least 3 times as deep as the stretched length of the seahorses you decide to get. I would also recommend getting captive bred seahorses, they are more ecologically friendly, they are already adapted to aquarium life, they are hardier, and they are already eating frozen food so you don't have the hassle of keeping live food. Some of the most commonlt available captive bred seahorses are hippocampus kudas or erectus, barbouris are also sometimes available.
LR is fine in a seahorse tank unless you are going to keep dwarves. If you decide to keep these you cannot use LR because of the possibilty of introducing hydroids. Dwarves also require live food so they require a bit more dedication.
You will need to avoid strong currents because seahorses aren't very strong swimmers. If you want more information you may want to look around at www.seahorse.org , there is alot of information over there and a library that can answer alot of questions. There is also a list of compatible fish and corals if you desire to keep these with your seahorses.

Lenny
09-07-2006, 7:16 PM
Hi, I've only been keeping seahorses for about a month, but I'll tell ya what I know, lol.

The best resources i've found are seahorse.org and seahorse.com. Seahorse.org has some great message boards and articles. Seahorse.com is run by the folks who run the Ocean Rider seahorse farm, and that's where I got my ponies from (a pair of mustangs, and a pair of sunbursts). the forums there are fantastic, and the people who run the place are really great about responding to any questions that people have. They are very knowledgeable and friendly, and I've found it to be the best resource yet. They have tons of pages on everything you need to know about keeping seahorses.

Granted, they are only two site, and you should do as much research as you can and compare sources, but they've been sooo helpful.

the answers that I can give to your questions (and remember, I'm a noob!) are:

Male/female? Well, its up to you, though everything says they do best in pairs. They mate for life and everything i've read says it's best to do pairs. They WILL court and mate, and probably breed, but if you don't want to raise the babies you can let the tankmates have them (i know, sounds cruel) but apparently, they do best when they're allowed to be with the one they love, lol.

Tank size? Depends on the breed you get, but the tank should be at least 3 times their length in depth of the tank. Taller is better then long for seahorses.

Breeds/type? I would DEFINATELY recommend getting the seahorses from a quality farm where you're going to get a disease free horse that will eat frozen foods (usually Mysis shrimp). Ocean Rider (Seahorse.com) is a great place to start. I'm very happy with their service and their livestock. If you get the horse from a lfs, you have no idea where they came from, and what they've encountered disease wise on the way to you. As far as breeds, it seems that H. Erectus are the most hardy and easy to care for, though there's a lot of different breeds available, from dwarves to giants. The different breeds require different types of water conditions/temperatures, etc, so make sure that your tank meets the needs of your breed.

live rock? Im told by many sources that live rock is great for all except the dwarves. Apparently lots of seahorse keepers use the live sand/live rock combo as the basis for their bio system in the tank.

Well, hope I helped. I'm trying to find more seahorse people out there, since I've become hopelessly addicted.