View Full Version : Mystery fish die off - need suggestions

alm502
05-01-2006, 7:09 PM
I am looking fir suggestions.

Two days ago my wife's largest Percula Clown started acting funny, hanging around the bottom of the tank, but still eating. Yesterday he started active lethargic. This morning he was dead. So was her other Percula and her six line wrasse.

A chemical check showed PH had dropped to 7.8 for some reason and the temp was 76.8 degrees. Salinity was 1.024, ammonia was zero, nitrites were zero, nitrates were 30 (normal for her tank), phosphates were less than .05, alkalinity was 3.5 meq/l, phosphates were less than .05, All normal except for the PH.

She immediately did a 33% water change with ouur RO/DI water, threw away all filter media, buffered the tank ph back to 8.12 and adjusted teh temp back to 78 degrees.

This afternoon her baby clown goby died and her yellow tang is just laying around. I think it is a matter of time. I am trying to prepare a fresh water dip, but my guess it is too late. This is her last fish.

The tank is about 3 years old and all the fish were a year or more old except the goby that was about two months old. I thought about parasites, but there has not been any additions for a couple of months. There are no signs of spots, lesions, or any other physical signs. I know this is common with parasites, though.

All her invertebrates appear fine (snails, crabs, coral banded shrimp), and all of her corals appear fine (torch coral, many differnt kinds of polyps, policpora (sp?), differnt kinds of mushrooms, bubble tip anenome, toadstool leather, and orange zoos).

I am at a loss here, folks. Anyone got any ideas?

Rick

Simon.Kruger
05-04-2006, 7:04 AM
Sorry for the late reply. Increase Flow and Oxygen. see if they pick up.

In the future try posting on www.thereeftank.com theres more traffic there so you might have a faster reply.

Regards

Simon