View Full Version : Overactive skimmer and Deep Blue professional pads

Tony_Caliente
02-14-2012, 8:15 PM
I just installed carbon and phosphate Deep Blue Professional pads and my skimmer went insane (I had to unplug it). Did anyone have that experience? Thank you for reading.

gnashty
02-14-2012, 8:29 PM
Yeah, mine has been going nuts too. It is currently off. I am only using about a 6" x 6" peice in my filter sock of the Phosphate kind. Havent opened my carbon pads yet.

Tony_Caliente
02-14-2012, 8:47 PM
Ok...that may be the answer. Out with the phosphate pad. I will keep in the carbon pad in an let you know what happends. Thansk!

Edit: Ok....I removed the Mr. Bubble pad (LOL) and let me give it an hour before turning the skimmer back on.

jead85
02-14-2012, 8:57 PM
I've had it do this with brand new filter socks. Seems something from manufacturing process causes crazy skimmer syndrome

Tony_Caliente
02-14-2012, 9:00 PM
It's not my sock. I put my pad in a power filter compartment. I think it's the phosphate pad.

Ripped Tide
02-14-2012, 9:07 PM
Did y'all rinse the pads first? They are pretty much powderized aluminum oxide that is sprayed on the pad. Pretty much the same thing as phosgaurd by seachem. When aluminum oxide first encounters water, a reaction takes place. The results produced are excess chemicals from the initial reaction(and aluminum oxide dust) that the skimmer is fighting to remove.

You want to always rinse products well before placing in the aquarium.

Tony_Caliente
02-14-2012, 9:23 PM
I did not. I assumed that rinsing was not necessary per the package. But then again, I interpreted pre-washed as not having to rinse it. My fault.

Ripped Tide
02-14-2012, 9:26 PM
When they ship, they are tossed and thrown around which will cause some dust to still be present.

Tony_Caliente
02-14-2012, 9:30 PM
I just turned the skimmer back on (without the pad) and it's still doing its Vasuvius impersonation :-). Too bad there's no science fair around!

eclipse
02-14-2012, 9:40 PM
I have the same issue with the Deep Blue pads. I quit using them for this reason never really seen a difference in my phosphate level.