View Full Version : Thanks for calling the Department of Agriculture!!!

Bimmerman
01-31-2012, 8:51 PM
So I guess we had a disgruntled customer who felt the need to call the Department of Agriculture on our store making all sorts of false claims.

They came out today unannounced and gave our store an EXCELLENT report saying that everything looks great and to keep up the good work.

I'm just sorry they had to waist their time as well and mine, but hey at least we know we are doing a great job!

LilRobb
01-31-2012, 8:55 PM
That's just messed up,
But now you got it black on white that there is nothing to be concerned about.

Ralph ATL
01-31-2012, 9:03 PM
WOW......I hope they called in good faith, but alas.....I'm sorry for your troubles...I'm glad you scored well! Good Luck!

Ripped Tide
01-31-2012, 9:04 PM
People do funny stuff when things don't got their way.

Some people are going to love you and some will hate.

The funny thing is: the joke is on them. They are probably so bent out of shape about something that they couldn't get you off their mind. The must have spent a lot of energy huffing and puffing, and in the end, did they get the results they "wanted?" Nope.

Ralph ATL
01-31-2012, 9:09 PM
People do funny stuff when things don't got their way.

Some people are going to love you and some will hate.

The funny thing is: the joke is on them. They are probably so bent out of shape about something that they couldn't get you off their mind. The must have spent a lot of energy huffing and puffing, and in the end, did they get the results they "wanted?" Nope.

yes! anger management is their issue...most likely...DB's...

Miami Dolfan
01-31-2012, 9:09 PM
Maybe the competition is worried of your success??

JennM
01-31-2012, 9:10 PM
It's customary for Dept. of Ag. to do at least an annual inspection. They come in to my place every year and it's usually a painless experience.

If somebody "reports" you, you have the right to find out who reported you. If you want to know, call the inspector - they likely left you their card, and ask. By law they have to tell you.

If everything is in order, you have nothing to worry about. The inspectors aren't there to try to shut anyone down, they are actually there to help you stay in compliance.

Jenn

Bimmerman
01-31-2012, 9:14 PM
It's customary for Dept. of Ag. to do at least an annual inspection. They come in to my place every year and it's usually a painless experience.

If somebody "reports" you, you have the right to find out who reported you. If you want to know, call the inspector - they likely left you their card, and ask. By law they have to tell you.

If everything is in order, you have nothing to worry about. The inspectors aren't there to try to shut anyone down, they are actually there to help you stay in compliance.

Jenn

I'm not mad about it at all, and I know we get a yearly. Since we took over the store not so long ago they had to do one for the transfer. The guy was like, dang we were just here.

I am not going to waste my time trying to figure out who it was or why they did it, I just think it is childish to do something like this when there is obviously nothing wrong with our store. The inspectors did not even have one suggestion as to anything I needed to do or change.

MvM
01-31-2012, 9:16 PM
So I guess we had a disgruntled customer who felt the need to call the Department of Agriculture on our store making all sorts of false claims.

They came out today unannounced and gave our store an EXCELLENT report saying that everything looks great and to keep up the good work.

I'm just sorry they had to waist their time as well and mine, but hey at least we know we are doing a great job!
Just curious? What would be a complaint that would concern them DoG?
Glad everything went well.

PFCDeitz
01-31-2012, 9:27 PM
I'm not mad about it at all, and I know we get a yearly. Since we took over the store not so long ago they had to do one for the transfer. The guy was like, dang we were just here.

I am not going to waste my time trying to figure out who it was or why they did it, I just think it is childish to do something like this when there is obviously nothing wrong with our store. The inspectors did not even have one suggestion as to anything I needed to do or change.

How can you know someone Did it untill you find out?

They may have just come by to see it again Its a new year

JennM
01-31-2012, 9:38 PM
The Georgia Department of Agriculture oversees all pet-related businesses. We must pay for an Animal Protection License - every store should have one displayed in the business.

Not every state requires one, but Georgia does, and they inspect each entity yearly (or more often if they deem necessary, or if someone reports a concern). All pet stores, kennels, shelters, breeding facilities and such fall under their umbrella.

If everything's A-OK then don't worry about it.

Jenn

Bimmerman
01-31-2012, 9:44 PM
Just curious? What would be a complaint that would concern them DoG?
Glad everything went well.

The person reported that our tanks were dirty, the fish were malnourished and there were dead fish in every tank.

How can you know someone Did it untill you find out?

They may have just come by to see it again Its a new year

The inspector said he was checking because of a complaint.

JennM
01-31-2012, 9:51 PM
Well if they didn't find any violations, chalk it up and move on, IMO. It just comes with the territory sometimes.

Jenn

PFCDeitz
01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Well if they didn't find any violations, chalk it up and move on, IMO. It just comes with the territory sometimes.

Jenn

Bingo y'all must be doing something right!

JennM
01-31-2012, 10:04 PM
And by venting about it here, even though you passed the inspection, you may have given the complainant, the satisfaction of knowing that they got under your skin. (If they read this.) That's probably what they were after in the first place.

Jenn

Ripped Tide
01-31-2012, 10:10 PM
And by venting about it here, even though you passed the inspection, you may have given the complainant, the satisfaction of knowing that they got under your skin. (If they read this.) That's probably what they were after in the first place.

Jenn

Jenn, you said what I was thinking... But with a lot less sarcasm.

db366
01-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Might check the lounge there was a similar complaint in there about a un named sponsor..

JessPete
02-01-2012, 6:41 AM
I made the complaint in the lounge. I didn't name Blue Planet, but didn't hide that it was about them. I had no shortage of pm's from other local customers that thought exactly the same thing that I did. I did not, however, call the dept of agriculture, wasn't even aware that's who you would contact.

My concerns were about a lack of service and seeing dead fish. It's ugly and a waste of life and finances, but if they don't want to keep the store open, I don't need to call the dept of agriculture. This entire thread goes right along with the professionalism I now expect from that store.

JessPete
02-01-2012, 6:56 AM

As just one customer, honestly, you could step it up. There will always be haters, but the fact that people contacted me privately to agree with me tells me that they aren't trying to just be mean, they are honestly concerned about seeing their fave store shut down.

Even this thread could have been handled better. I wouldn't be surprised if my other thread spurred the call on, but, it wasn't me that did it.

Dakota9
02-01-2012, 7:09 AM
There's a disconnect with what the public wants and expects, and what the Ag Dept considers minimal standards.

Case in point.....

20 years ago i worked for what is the largest grocery store chain in GA in their seafood dept. i literally received employee of the quarter one day, and was fired the next day for wasting product when I threw away 15 pounds of thawed shrimp that skidded across a chemical covered floor (chemical was like a powdered pool chlorine product) . i had to use a broom to sweep it out from under coolers and sinks. i wouldn't have eaten it, and wouldn't sell it to the unsuspecting public. The store said it should have been rinsed and sold..... i called the health department, they said they have nothing to do with seafood, to call the Ag Dept....... The Ag Dept said the store was right, I should have rinsed it and sold it........ I was in the wrong.

The ag department's standards are quite literally "minimal standards".....

If nothing else is learned from this incident, just take dead fish out of display tanks. (this is directed toward all LFSs ) Customers don't want to see it, and it hurts your business. it's not illegal, it's just unsightly.

Doing this in the first place would have kept this whole incident from occurring.

Learn from it and move on.....

JessPete
02-01-2012, 7:23 AM
Amen, Dakota. Thanks for the insight.

eagle9252
02-01-2012, 8:51 AM
I will chime in briefly, I went to a different LFS to purchase a fish a while back but while LQQKing at the other tanks out of the say 50 tanks we saw at least 10 dead fish in 10 different tanks. The LFS was on a large water system not individual HOB filters so we left because I did not want to chance it. I have been back several times since then and have not seen any dead fish.

Brisco15
02-01-2012, 9:38 AM
Unfortunately a pass by the DOA is normally a joke what they look for is extreme sadly so flying colors from them doesn't always mean your doing so hot

kilo32
02-01-2012, 9:54 AM
What individual hobbyist hasn't had a dead fish. Does that mean your tank is not being maintained properly, of coarse not. Sometimes a fish death just happens. When a LFS loses a fish does it mean that they are not maintaining their tanks properly, of coarse not. The loss of a fish at a LFS is an even greater chance what with shipping stress and the such. With that said it's still a good idea to remove the fish quickly for a number of reasons but especially so that he customer doesn't see it and get the wrong impression. I think there are better clues as to whether a store is being maintained properly aside from seeing a dead fish.

JessPete
02-01-2012, 10:28 AM
To me, dead fish don't warrant a call to DoA, they are just a little alarm bell ringing that the store might not be on top of things. Lots of fish die in shipments, totally legit.

If someone called the DoA, they must have bigger issues than what I had with my visit. I was disappointed, not angry. I've been asked not to come back, which is no problem for me at all. But for the record, I didn't make the call, so I'm sure I won't be the only one not going back.