View Full Version : Skimming While Cycling...

blueshark
01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Will Skimming While Cycling Speed up the cycle process??

SuperClown
01-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Pending how efficient your skimmer works I think it can actually slow down/prolong the cycle.

Just going off what I was told was to leave lights off, skimmer off

Throw dead shrimp in tank let decompose run powerhead let run check for ammonia spike and the nitrite/nitrate conversion process once you have gotten to the point where ammonia is being converted and there is zero levels your good to go.

I could be wrong about this but from what I remember thats the way to do it

bratliff
01-20-2012, 10:19 AM
AFAIR, skimming has zero affect on the nitrogen cycle (i.e., your cycle of the tank). Skimming removes dissolved organics from your water.

Take a look here (http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/proteinfiltersetups/ss/proteinskimmer1.htm) for more info.

Now, if you're cycling with uncured live rock, go ahead and skim away! It'll pull all the gunk outta the water. If you are using the shrimp method or adding ammonia directly, skimming won't hurt, but it won't help the cycle either. At best, you are keeping the tank extra squeaky clean; at worst you are wasting some electricity.

As always, just my $.02. YMMV. :)

Edit: I disagree with your first line, but everything else is spot on. Leaving the lights off inhibits nuisance algae growth and saves electricity and cycling with a dead shrimp releases very little in the way of DOC for a skimmer to act upon.

Pending how efficient your skimmer works I think it can actually slow down/prolong the cycle.

Just going off what I was told was to leave lights off, skimmer off

Throw dead shrimp in tank let decompose run powerhead let run check for ammonia spike and the nitrite/nitrate conversion process once you have gotten to the point where ammonia is being converted and there is zero levels your good to go.

I could be wrong about this but from what I remember thats the way to do it

Edit:

blueshark
01-20-2012, 11:05 AM
thx

SuperClown
01-20-2012, 11:17 AM
AFAIR, skimming has zero affect on the nitrogen cycle (i.e., your cycle of the tank). Skimming removes dissolved organics from your water.

Take a look here (http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/proteinfiltersetups/ss/proteinskimmer1.htm) for more info.

Now, if you're cycling with uncured live rock, go ahead and skim away! It'll pull all the gunk outta the water. If you are using the shrimp method or adding ammonia directly, skimming won't hurt, but it won't help the cycle either. At best, you are keeping the tank extra squeaky clean; at worst you are wasting some electricity.

As always, just my $.02. YMMV. :)

Edit: I disagree with your first line, but everything else is spot on. Leaving the lights off inhibits nuisance algae growth and saves electricity and cycling with a dead shrimp releases very little in the way of DOC for a skimmer to act upon.

Edit:

As said I was not sure but I just know I was tols back when I first started

JennM
01-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I'd skim from day 1. There's no benefit to leaving organic waste in the water.

Jenn

ichthyoid
01-20-2012, 7:29 PM
This is what the folks at Fritz Industries have to say about the matter-

Nitrifying bacteria are microscopic and once introduced will be suspended in the water column until they adhere to a suitable surface. This process may take several days to accomplish. Because of this the following equipment must be turned off immediatly before and for a period of 4-7 days after introduction:

Ozone Generators
Ultraviolet Sterilizers
Chemical Disinfectant Sterilizers
Protein Skimmers
Foam Separators
Sub-Micron Mechanical Filters (5 micron or less)
http://www.fritzzyme.com/initial-system-startup/

I would think this would apply to any tank cycling regimen, as we are trying to encourage colonization of substrates/surfaces.

SnowManSnow
01-20-2012, 7:34 PM
i say skim it before the DOCs build up too high right from the start

JennM
01-20-2012, 7:38 PM
Neither method is 'right' or 'wrong' IMO. We've always skimmed, especially if using uncured rock, to get as much die-off OUT as possible while it's curing.

At the end of it all - a tank will cycle either way, and nobody should be in a particular hurry.

Jenn

grouper therapy
01-20-2012, 7:46 PM
Neither method is 'right' or 'wrong' IMO. We've always skimmed, especially if using uncured rock, to get as much die-off OUT as possible while it's curing.

At the end of it all - a tank will cycle either way, and nobody should be in a particular hurry.

Jenn
Thank you thank you thank you:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs ::thumbs:
The wisest statements of 2012 so far!