View Full Version : o for 2 with Achillies Tang

dan30097
01-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I lost my achillies tang today. Usually if I lose a fish I don't go back and buy the same one again. Like one of those cliche's been there done that. But, for my love for the most beautiful fish in the sea I gave it one more shot. This time around I QT the fish, made sure it ate 3 X a day. Had it going well for 3 months. I noticed how it was avoiding food yesterday. This morning it wasn't coming out of it's cave to greet me in the morning before I go to work. I get back from work, and I find it wedged between a rock with my clean up crew all over it. So upsetting. I want to make a toast for it. I will bury it tomorrow. Then I will never return into buying another one.:nono:
Thanks for the good times Zoro.

cr500_af
01-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Sorry... sometimes fish succumb to stuff that we don't even have the ability to diagnose (no outward signs). I really believe that, other than getting them eating, that's what makes a hardy fish versus a delicate one. I recently lost a Naso the same way. He just spent a couple of days hanging out in his spot, wouldn't come out to eat or anything... in fact, I thought he was dead the first morning because he wouldn't swim away until I actually touched him.

Here's to learning from the bad stuff and more good stuff down the road.

The-Bubonic-One
01-18-2012, 10:25 PM
+1 of all the fish don't blame you for trying it twice. They are top 3 for me. I have yet to try my hand at one but with the Achilles I believe its luck of the draw. Kinda like powders

cr500_af
01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
That's one of my favorite fish, no doubt.

Crobattt
01-19-2012, 7:12 AM
I got mine 5 days ago, picked it up off of Rit from Atlanta Aquariums for 110$. So far in my DT it's eating LOADS of nori, and picks at mysis. He doesn't eat pellets all that well, but has picked at the ones i soaked in Garlic, i'm really hoping this ends well.. wish me luck guys i'll need it..

purpleGORILLA
01-19-2012, 7:49 AM
Yeah that is one of the fish I wish to own one day. Last time I have one and it didn't last but 1 month. I wonder if anyone has success keeping one here in Atlanta.

Thanh386
01-19-2012, 7:51 AM
I keep hearing that the powder blue and achillies are extremely difficult to keep, myself and a few friends all bought them , none have had issues. Oldest one kept is little over a year and mine being about. 7 monthes

Crobattt
01-19-2012, 8:07 AM
I keep hearing that the powder blue and achillies are extremely difficult to keep, myself and a few friends all bought them , none have had issues. Oldest one kept is little over a year and mine being about. 7 monthes

are you talking about Achilles or powders?

Thanh386
01-19-2012, 8:27 AM
Both. I have both in my tank ATM. Extremely hardy for me. Survive a few hiccups

Crobattt
01-19-2012, 8:32 AM
oh wow nice! that gives me hope :)

arborreef79
01-19-2012, 8:39 AM
How bigs the tank with the achilles and powder?

Thanh386
01-19-2012, 8:51 AM
I know a lot of people will advocate certain things, but the survival rate isn't that bad from my experience. I introduced my achillies when my tank was only up and running for 2 monthes. And I introduced the powder blue a month later . Neither were eating at the store. Both eating pellets from my auto feeder now :) don't lose sight of things that interest you. I think everyone has issues with their tanks one time or another, both with fish and coral.

The tank is only a 5 foot tank. 250

Crobattt
01-19-2012, 8:56 AM
Well mine is tearing up nori, and just ate a lot of mysis shrimp. Hopefully he will be fine. :) wish me luck!

Crobattt
01-20-2012, 5:38 PM
mine is looking good today :D! i'm pretty sure im just lucky, but either way im extremely thankful :), its fattening up and is eating a good amount.

Wish me luck!

Miami Dolfan
01-20-2012, 5:46 PM
mine is looking good today :D! i'm pretty sure im just lucky, but either way im extremely thankful :), its fattening up and is eating a good amount.

Wish me luck!

Sounds like things are going your way. Congrats!

cr500_af
01-21-2012, 1:15 AM
Had mine for almost a year. While in QT it would only eat nori. After going in the DT he seems to have learned from the others, because he started frozen really quick and pellets within a week.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Cheap9Ball/DSC_0112.jpg

Crobattt
01-21-2012, 9:07 AM
im trying to gt mine on pellets.. It'll kill mysis and nori, doesn't pay attention to pellets though :/..

Edit:

Edit:

Edit: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x391/crobattt/IMG_2850.jpg

three amigos :p

JJ Ocean
01-21-2012, 9:34 AM
Dan - I think you just got unlucky with the second one. The process you went through is what I've followed with success for mine. Once you get them eating everything in QT they should be good from there out - still probably your most sensitive fish in your tank though..

I have one currently. Been in my tank for the last 1.5 years. The one prior to that was 7-8 years. Both I picked up possession w/o being unpacked from the lfs - Hawaiian exporter's water straight to mine. Went straight into a tank by himself loaded with mature live rock - not the usual bare bottom QT. Over the next 3 months weaned him onto all my usual food and made sure he was fat. At the end of the 3 months, gradually acclimated his tank with my DT tank water and transferred him to the DT right before lights out one evening. He ate in the DT the very next day.

Setup might not be practical for everyone, but I think it is the least stressful introduction method.

cr500_af
01-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Dan - I think you just got unlucky with the second one. The process you went through is what I've followed with success for mine. Once you get them eating everything in QT they should be good from there out - still probably your most sensitive fish in your tank though..

I have one currently. Been in my tank for the last 1.5 years. The one prior to that was 7-8 years. Both I picked up possession w/o being unpacked from the lfs - Hawaiian exporter's water straight to mine. Went straight into a tank by himself loaded with mature live rock - not the usual bare bottom QT. Over the next 3 months weaned him onto all my usual food and made sure he was fat. At the end of the 3 months, gradually acclimated his tank with my DT tank water and transferred him to the DT right before lights out one evening. He ate in the DT the very next day.

Setup might not be practical for everyone, but I think it is the least stressful introduction method.

Same here... frankly that's the only reason I was willing to buy it (well, that and a smoking price due to me taking the risk). It was a win-win... the LFS didn't have to risk losing it before it got bought, and I got it without it being acclimated twice in a row and stressed even more.

Also, a good read for anyone thinking of keeping one of these is a thread on RC called "The Achilles tang primer". Solid information of successes and failures from many people who have kept them.
Interestingly, the most success has come from people who did NOT QT them. Obviously, it's a calculated risk, but the Achilles seem to do better that way. I "split the difference" and QT'ed mine for about 10 days to watch for anything obvious, and hurried it into the DT.