View Full Version : Kinda of a bummer

Donalds1
08-05-2007, 8:30 AM
I had to replace my compact light system over the weekend because of the one I bought from them when I first started the hobby just 4 years ago went out on me.

Do not get me wrong the sales guy was great and I kinow this was not his fault but the policies. But dont you think as much as I spend in that place they could have given me my club discount to hook me up as being a club member and a loyal customer not a one timer for the past 4 years. They knew I could not wait till monday to buy my light. Just venting a little disappointment but it is still a great store.:)

Seedless Reefer
08-05-2007, 8:32 AM
Please don't tell me that you are talking about a LFS on Johnson Ferry Road are you?

Donalds1
08-05-2007, 8:34 AM
yesssss

Seedless Reefer
08-05-2007, 8:40 AM
This particular LFS has alot of fans because they have a nice selection of stuff and the store is setup nice.

I found their prices to be high, the help to be suffocating and the discount thing pissed me off enough not to ever go back there.

So far I have been unhappy with all in some regards with the exception of Stevhan at Fishy and he's not technically a LFS.

109 dollars for a 100 GPD membrane? Not in this lifetime.

Linda Lee
08-05-2007, 8:40 AM
Well, I don't get it then. Yeah, everyone says it's a great store, but they'll give the discount to one ARC member after the deadline in an emergency situation but not another? Doesn't seem fair somehow.

In our case, we didn't realize the noon cutoff, and we would have gone elsewhere (we had no emergency) since the stuff we got was priced substantially higher than we could have gotten it for down the road.

But... we were already there and at the counter, and had spent a lot of time selecting our items, so we made the purchase. Didn't want to make another stop. Had they given us the discount as a gesture of goodwill to new ARC members with a first-time purchase, they'd have gotten a couple of long-standing customers who would have spent (probably) mega-$$$ in there. As it is, we won't go back.

Now we know ~ live 'n learn. Gotta read more than the sticky for the sponsors. Need to read all the follow-up posts for hours, discounts, etc.

Mojo? Is there a way to put current information on the sticky? This would have avoided a frustrating situation.

Atlanta Aquarium
08-05-2007, 9:27 AM
Loren, you ever tried to order online? The saving is enormous. The cost in shipping is more than offset in the saving in tax. Checkout Drfosterandsmith.com and Liveraquaria.com. The customer service is excellent. They will forward and backward to help you.

Atlanta Aquarium
08-05-2007, 9:39 AM
Donald,
I'm sorry to hear that you had some problem with the LFS. Checkout Liveaquaria.com in the Diver's Den section. With all the stores I shopped, LFS and online, I'm very high on Liveaquaria and Drfosterandsmith. They have good stuffs and the price is very reasonable.
The business world is ever changing. I've been in the wholesale trade for 16 years. I saw business comes and goes especially the last 5 years. One thing I noticed, the business that lack customer service seem to suffer the most.

Donalds1
08-05-2007, 9:55 AM
I will take a peak at them thanks

Linda Lee
08-05-2007, 10:19 AM
We'll probably order 99.9% of stuff online from now on, and we've found the best *deals* to be from fellow ARC'ers. :D

What I did like about Marine Fish is the large selection of fish (although substantially overpriced, IMO) so you can actually SEE them up close and personal.

But... I'll probably do like I will do with the walking/running shoes I'm going to buy: Go to ****'s Sporting Goods and try them all on... find the shoe I want and the size that fits... then order it online.

:)

Seedless Reefer
08-05-2007, 10:23 AM
The cowfish that chrisjet was looking at is sooooooo cool.

It actually looks alot like chris only you can tell it is FAR more intelligent.

Linda Lee
08-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I didn't see any tats on the cowfish.

Cowfish are harvested from Pen Island.

jefft
08-05-2007, 11:07 AM
But... I'll probably do like I will do with the walking/running shoes I'm going to buy: Go to ****'s Sporting Goods and try them all on... find the shoe I want and the size that fits... then order it online.

I get that a lot at BassProShop. People come in ask how GPS units work, then go buy them online. Then they come back in wanting us to show them how to work them. I wonder how many are still trying to find their way out of the wilderness?

Donalds1
08-05-2007, 6:26 PM
Yeah I dont know if I can go back to marine after that episode

washowi
08-05-2007, 6:37 PM
I haven't been there in almost 2 years now....They lost all my business...

Guess they don't need the repeat reefers, only looking out for new people to unload big ticket items on...Just as well, They offered nothing that we can't get at other places in town.....There is another store just down Roswell a few mikes that is ALOT better anyway.

TW

Bleedingthought
08-06-2007, 4:52 AM
I had to replace my compact light system over the weekend because of the one I bought from them when I first started the hobby just 4 years ago went out on me.

Do not get me wrong the sales guy was great and I kinow this was not his fault but the policies. But dont you think as much as I spend in that place they could have given me my club discount to hook me up as being a club member and a loyal customer not a one timer for the past 4 years. They knew I could not wait till monday to buy my light. Just venting a little disappointment but it is still a great store.:)
Did you ask if you could get the extra money you spent (since you didn't get the discount) on Monday on something else, if you came back?

This happened to me once since I was buying frags on Saturday and it was just past Saturday. But they said if I came back on Monday that they could give me a discount on other frags. Granted, I didn't come back but it wasn't as much money as a a light fixture.

Donalds1
08-06-2007, 6:41 AM
I asked about the discount and they said I couldnt use it. They knew my situation and that I needed to get the light that day. Just kinda pissed at them because if I could have waited till Monday I would have then I would have had the discount no problem. The guy running the floor was not considerate of that fact and the fact I am a return customer. My sales guy was great. But as a whole I think I am going to start doing rounds like starting at CBA then going to optimum off of shallowford then to petland.
Hell Bobby at CBA has been called grumpy but he always has treated me with consideration as a loyal customer.

KevinC
08-06-2007, 7:41 AM
The folks at LiveAquaria are never grumpy and will always treat you right.

haninja
08-06-2007, 7:54 AM
Quote from the sponsor:

The ARC discount will be available:
Mon-Fri: all day
Sat: 10am-Noon

I think this is not fair. Most of the purchases people do are over the weekend. Giving ARC members a 2 hour window on Saturday is, IMO, a borderline scam to become a sponsor. Think about it, they get free ads and free publicity (even on this tread)… how many of you have actually got the discount?

mojo
08-06-2007, 9:07 AM
Quote from the sponsor:

The ARC discount will be available:
Mon-Fri: all day
Sat: 10am-Noon

I think this is not fair. Most of the purchases people do are over the weekend. Giving ARC members a 2 hour window on Saturday is, IMO, a borderline scam to become a sponsor. Think about it, they get free ads and free publicity (even on this tread)… how many of you have actually got the discount?

I agree 100%, and I've been trying to get the rest of the Board to actually do something about it. In my opinion, either play like everyone else, or don't play at all. Marine Fish is a good store, but doesn't treat the ARC very well as a sponsor store. My suggestion is to send them a letter, detailing why we aren't in compliance as a sponsor, and that if they cannot agree to the same terms as everyone else, that we'll pull their sponsorship.

pnguye3
08-06-2007, 2:07 PM
I'm going to have to step in and say something here. I generally don't post about matters like this, but I just feel like I need to express my thoughts. As some of you know, I am an employee at Marine Fish; however, I was part of the ARC long before I ever started working at Marine Fish. I have a few points that I would like to make, having been on both the retail side and the consumer side.

Marine Fish gives the largest discount of all the stores on the sponsorship. Who else is going to give a 30% discount on all livestock and a 20% discount on all dry goods? When you say "play like everyone else, or don't play at all," shouldn't this apply to the discount as well? Shouldn't every other sponsor provide this type of discount?

I realize that some of our prices are high, but I know a lot of ARC members who have gotten great deals on really, really nice stuff, especially after the discount. With a large store and staff like ours, it isnt cheap to run a retail store. We personally quarantine, acclimate, and dip every single piece of livestock that comes into the store. Some members of our staff include Dave: He actually made and produced the whole Kent Product Line before Kent was sold to Central Aquatics. If you need to know about chemicals, I promise you that he knows more than any *ahem sales rep from another company, because he physically tested and produced every single additive Kent has ever made for the past 20 years. Julie, now a full time Aquarium Pharmaceuticals sales representative, had her Master's degree in Marine Biology, and is the sales represtentative for all API products in the South East. I, Patrick, have a degree in Biotechnology, and could very well start on a Masters in Marine Biology (if this whole med. school thing doesnt work out) This is just to name a few people who are on the staff. What other store has a staff goes to such extent and is as qualified as this to help and assist customers?

The reason why the ARC discount is only applicable on the weekdays is to help spread out our business throughout the week. On weekends, it tends to become very busy, and we all really want to help each and every person and give as much time as possible. It is very difficult to do this on when the store is jam packed. There has to be a trade off. Because ARC members do receive the 30%, MF felt that it is better to have them come during the week. From my understanding, when they began the no discount weekends, MF stayed open for an extra hour during the weekends specifically to provide our customer service to ARC members, but for 4 months, ARC members did not use this time. Not only that, our livestock usually comes in during the week. So, if you guys come during the week, you get to cherry pick all the "nice" stuff first hand.

to Donalds1: I talked to my coworker who sold you the light, and he did make a mistake. No, he was not supposed to give you the ARC discount due to our policy, but you were supposed to receive a "discount" for making such a large purchase. Just come by the store and ask for Patrick, and I can clear everything up in regards to a "discount" that you were entitled to.

Each and every day that I work, I have ARC members use their discount on various things. I have met, helped, and befriended many ARC members. Actually, I honestly can't think of a day where no ARC members walk into the store.

I, personally, try to cater towards ARC members just because I am one and I enjoy talking to other ARC members. If anybody has a problem, please send me a pm or just come by and talk to me. I would really like to resolve these problems and circumstances between ARC and MF.

Also, if anybody comes into the store, it is very important that you guys flash that ARC card or at least tell us that you're ARC. In doing so, it's easier for us to identify and help all members of the club.

Sorry for the long post...I just felt that my opinions needed to be known

mojo
08-06-2007, 2:22 PM
Marine Fish gives the largest discount of all the stores on the sponsorship. Who else is going to give a 30% discount on all livestock and a 20% discount on all dry goods? When you say "play like everyone else, or don't play at all," shouldn't this apply to the discount as well? Shouldn't every other sponsor provide this type of discount?

And if a store offered ARC members 50% off, then could that store bend the sponsor expectations even more? I've talked to Robert(?) about this in the past, and MF always brings up the fact that they give the 30% discount, and every time, I say 'then drop it to 10%'. Although appreciated, it's not required for sponsorship, only the 10%.

It's difficult for us to be fair to all of our sponsors when one store chooses to change the policy to suit itself better. I understand that, yes, it may appear logical from MF's standpoint to have the tradeoff between higher discount vs when it's offered, but from ARC's standpoint, MF is the exception to the 35-ish sponsors who all offer the same thing. Why should MF be able to declare when it will and when it won't honor the discount?

I would really like to resolve these problems and circumstances between ARC and MF. Sorry for the long post...I just felt that my opinions needed to be known

And they should be. Feel free to bring up any issue with the Board- we're all reasonable people. Issues like this probably should be talked about in person, rather on the forums, but any open discussion is a good start. Please consider coming to the meeting next Tuesday and talking to some of us in person.

pnguye3
08-06-2007, 3:55 PM
Well, I guess it comes down to: What would the ARC members prefer more? I don't mind discussing this w/ the BOD at all. Would ARC members rather have a 10% discount all week long or a 30/20 % just on weekdays and 10-12 am on Saturday?

Also, I just spoke with Justin, my coworker, once again about the matter, and he did inform me that Donalds1 did receive an added discount. For the purchase of the light, he received 10% back in store credit that he could use on any livestock in the store. So, he really did get the discount that any other ARC sponsor would provide.

Linda Lee
08-06-2007, 4:39 PM
I, Patrick, have a degree in Biotechnology, and could very well start on a Masters in Marine Biology (if this whole med. school thing doesnt work out) This is just to name a few people who are on the staff. What other store has a staff goes to such extent and is as qualified as this to help and assist customers?

Patrick, if someone calls to ask directions (3 times) and on the 2nd try says the've just gone over the Chattahoochee River and into Fulton County, probably not a good idea for you to tell them to "keep going the way they're going" to get to your store.

Ah well, we wouldn't have made it by the noon deadline anyway.

Frustrating day on Saturday. And those of us who work during the week can't make it there in the evenings.

No offense, but we'll shop elsewhere. Even with larger discount than other sponsors, with that small window of opportunity on Saturdays and your exhorbitant prices, we'll have to pass.

Very pretty store though.

blackwolfl
08-06-2007, 6:55 PM

while its a good idea to see what your getting before you get it but if everyone did they there wont be any more lfs for people to go to. But for me ive always enjoyed marine fish. One of the cleanest stores, people there to help you when you need it and a knowledgeable staff. Paying a premium to get that kinda of quality is worth it to me. When you add in the discount they give their prices are on par with everyone else anyways.

Bleedingthought
08-06-2007, 9:01 PM
while its a good idea to see what your getting before you get it but if everyone did they there wont be any more lfs for people to go to. But for me ive always enjoyed marine fish. One of the cleanest stores, people there to help you when you need it and a knowledgeable staff. Paying a premium to get that kinda of quality is worth it to me. When you add in the discount they give their prices are on par with everyone else anyways.
I agree with this. :)

While the discount span is short, the large discount makes up for it. I like the people there, too. ;)

Skriz
08-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I have had very good experiences there with the discount. Yes, the prices are high, but the 30% takes it down to where it should be. And, the quality of the livestock is top notch; I have always had good healthy fish from MF.

I have been burned one time though, where I payed a $75 consulation fee that I was supposed to be able to use as an in-store credit. I could never get anyone to answer me back when I asked about it. Chalked it up to experience :doh:, so what's up with that Patrick?

pnguye3
08-06-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure Skriz. Shoot me a pm w/ the details, and we can figure it out.

JetChris
08-07-2007, 12:49 AM
It is obvious the reason they DO NOT offer the discount on weekends is to even out the crowd. Why do bars and clubs offer drink specials all week long and then on the weekend they charge full price<----because they know that people are out and about on weekends rather than during the week, so therefore they are forced to pay full price. Patrick your cool but cmon, your mgmt is blowing smoke up your you know what. Its a business and the function of a business is to make as much profit as possible. Yes its a clean nice store but they got alot of the club members by the balls when it comes to getting their discount. I am cheap so ill make time to be there during the week, although i would much rather go on the weekend.

pnguye3
08-07-2007, 5:26 AM
I guess I havent really made it clear. We do offer a type of discount on the weekends. On weekends, if any ARC customer spends a hundred dollars or over, they get 10% back in store credit. So if you want to shop on the weekends, you can get that discount (which is on par w/ the other stores). But if you want 30/20%, you'll just have to wait for the week.

Donalds1
08-07-2007, 6:18 AM
ok so what you are saying is the marine store printed money you give out to people is the discount you are talking about for the weekends for ARC only ?

Because if that is what is being stated then it is not true. My wife who does not have a card or says she is a member will get stuff from the store like my supply of chemicals and food and comes home with the marine cash anyway . So with that fact in hand dont say I got my ARC discount because I that didnt happen. What I recieved was something that appears that anybody can get when they come into the store.

The kid who sold me the light and yes he is a great guy even said he was sorry that I could not use my ARC discount. DO not get me wrong people, the store is great and so are the people who work at the place and I love the store BUT the majority of us can not get to shop at marine until the weekend and the two hour time frame is a killer. I personally cant get out until noon because of the kids sports.

Now with that said NOBODY explained to me how that marine cash can be used and with the marine cash I recieved for a future purchase it is nice to have.

Now I want to say thank you to the Marine staff and Patrick for taking the time to listen to everyone but NOBODY explained to me that the marine cash was the stores way of making up for the discount that we would get during the week and the alloted time on the weekends. If that is so then great but it needs to be stated to the ARC that is what the store is doing. So we know that is a different form of the discount.

Yes I did recieve marine cash NO it was not explained to me how it was to be used or what it was for and NO it was not expalined to me that the marine cash was for ARC members only in lue of the discount that is offered to ARC members during the week.

Linda Lee
08-07-2007, 6:20 AM
We personally quarantine, acclimate, and dip every single piece of livestock that comes into the store.

Is this a practice that contributes to the higher prices at Marine Fish? Since I will "personally quarantine, acclimate and dip every single piece of livestock that goes into my tanks", this service would seem to be redundant.

(Thanks for the personal PM, Patrick. I know it took some time and thought to write that ~ I appreciate it)

~LL

tsciarini
08-07-2007, 7:51 AM
Patrick... I replied to your PM and I'm still waiting a reply. Just let me know when we can set a time to meet.
Thanks! :)

pnguye3
08-07-2007, 9:08 AM
Donalds1: I'm not trying to say that the "fish bucks" were given in lue of your ARC discount. I was trying to show that even though you're not getting the traditional ARC, because you made a big purchase, you received the "fish bucks" to use on any live stock on the store the next time you come in. Having that 10% back is almost the equivalent of what most of the other stores would offer as their discount. Marine Fish just happens to offer a better discount on the weekdays, but we try to help a little bit on the weekends as well.

pnguye3
08-07-2007, 9:18 AM
Linda: Yea, i really am sorry about the bad directions before. That was my fault. Sorry you had to go through so much trouble. From my understanding, Not very many people have separate systems to quarantine. I thought customers would rather each and every fish/coral go through that type of process. I believe that our acclimation and quarante practices separate us from many other LFS, because we have such a strict routine before a fish or coral hits our holding tanks. All of our work is done to try cut down on losses on fish and corals for all customers, and we also don't want our customers to run into problems involving pests and parasites. We want to try to provide the best and healthiest livestock to our customers at all times.

tsciarini
08-07-2007, 9:49 AM
I'm going to go ahead and close out this thread (atleast temporarily)... I don't think it would benefit either party to try to set examples of poor experiences and the store feeling like they need to defend themselves.
A discussion between myself and a representative from the LFS are planning a meeting to discuss options and goals.
Marine Fish has a solid reputation as a store and as a sponsor. There have been countless threads/posts praising the store for outstanding services. We aren't trying to quiet down the poor experiences but wanted to atleast speak to them in person on the matter before it got any further out of hand.
I hope that I can represent the members the best that I can and I will keep you all posted with an update once we've been able to set up a meeting at the store.
Thanks for everyones support and understanding... I'll keep you posted.