View Full Version : Will my tank be ready?

Crobattt
01-04-2012, 6:44 PM
My tank has been setup for 9 months now. I'm turning to a reef, and i am getting 80 pounds of rock, and new lighting, a 8x54 watt T5HO light. Will i be ready for Coral, Anemones, and clams since my tank has been set up for so long or should i wait longer? also would it be ok to add all 80 pounds of live rock to my tank, or should i do it little by little so i don't start a mini-cycle?

Edit: Hope this edits. Hey this the 18,000th thread in this forum. I feel special xD

cr500_af
01-04-2012, 7:05 PM
I'm a little confused by the wording, so here goes... if you have an established tank that has just had no coral, etc, then go for it. Stock slowly is always a good rule.

However, you said "I'm getting 80 pounds of rock...". Are you adding new LR to your existing tank? Has your tank been running with filters but no LR previously? I assume this is a fish-only tank (currently stocked w/fish) that you're going to a reef setup with?

If you are adding "new" LR, I'd wait before stocking with anything. The chances of a cycle or mini-cycle are too big to risk IMO when you are transporting rock. Plus, it's a whole bunch easier to deal with bad hitchhikers on rock before it has sensitive corals attached to it. You'll still have to deal with the risk to fish with a cycle... which would lead me to suggest curing the rock in another vessel besides your tank.

blu_devl_06
01-04-2012, 7:18 PM
Adding 80 lbs of rock it will surely cycle again. How big it the tank? What do you currently have for filtration?

Crobattt
01-04-2012, 7:23 PM
I'm a little confused by the wording, so here goes... if you have an established tank that has just had no coral, etc, then go for it. Stock slowly is always a good rule.

However, you said "I'm getting 80 pounds of rock...". Are you adding new LR to your existing tank? Has your tank been running with filters but no LR previously? I assume this is a fish-only tank (currently stocked w/fish) that you're going to a reef setup with?

If you are adding "new" LR, I'd wait before stocking with anything. The chances of a cycle or mini-cycle are too big to risk IMO when you are transporting rock. Plus, it's a whole bunch easier to deal with bad hitchhikers on rock before it has sensitive corals attached to it. You'll still have to deal with the risk to fish with a cycle... which would lead me to suggest curing the rock in another vessel besides your tank.

That's actually exactly my second idea. I was going to get a small koralia or something any put the rock in a bucket, then adding water from my tank to the water with the live rock in it. Eventually the water will match the water in my tank and will be safe to put straight in my tank, atleast that's my idea. of course i'll probably need a heater and something for water movement, would this work? I should probably add i already have 70-90 pounds of LR in my tank already. I'm adding this so i will have more places for coral that need to be higher in the tank.

126 reef
01-04-2012, 7:24 PM
You would be okay if you started 9 months ago with the 80 pounds. Best bet is to go ahead and put in the 80 pounds and let it cycle thought. Doing it little by little will just take longer. Better to let it cycle and get it over with

Edit: Last post was assuming you don't have livestock uet

Crobattt
01-04-2012, 7:33 PM
You would be okay if you started 9 months ago with the 80 pounds. Best bet is to go ahead and put in the 80 pounds and let it cycle thought. Doing it little by little will just take longer. Better to let it cycle and get it over with

Edit: Last post was assuming you don't have livestock uet

I have livestock. Including fish, inverts and a few coral. I need to not re-cycle. thus being why i'm adding little at a time.

wbrown
01-04-2012, 8:33 PM
tractor supply has 100 gal rubbermaid troughs for around $80. I have one with a bunch of rock curing with a skimmer and powerheads.
If you have the room, you can't beat it.

cr500_af
01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Then, to answer your question better, you would do well by curing the rock in a tub or Brute (to keep it alive and allow any die-off to be dealt with), then adding it to the existing system. IMO once this is done, you could add it either all at once or a little at a time. If adding it a little at a time makes you feel more secure then by all means do it that way.

Crobattt
01-05-2012, 11:02 AM
That's what I'm going to do. What all would I need? A heater and water flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirkwood
01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I would start slow with the coral, etc to make sure that all your params are good, because mistakes can be very costly in this hobby.

Crobattt
01-05-2012, 12:36 PM
That's what I'm going to do. What all would I need? A heater and water flow?

?

hud3339
01-05-2012, 1:09 PM
Why don't you buy dry rock and put it in there so you won't go through a cycle

jamescook
01-05-2012, 1:10 PM
yes
heat the water and keep in circulating. then you can do WC as needed to keep it clean. during this time you can try to remove all aiptasia etc
good luck

bratliff
01-05-2012, 2:58 PM
Why don't you buy dry rock and put it in there so you won't go through a cycle

What he ^^^^ said... :huh: Why the desire to add live rock at this stage? Go buy some marco rock and add that...

Crobattt
01-05-2012, 5:34 PM
Wouldn't dry rock send the tank through another cycle?..

MvM
01-05-2012, 5:45 PM
Not in most cases. Marco rock certainly would not.

Crobattt
01-05-2012, 5:51 PM
Holy Poop, i didn't know that.

Edit: Well, i've already made a deal with a person and i'm not going to backout, i will find a way to make it work

jamescook
01-05-2012, 8:11 PM
if the rock is clean and the transfer swift, you might be fine. If not, QT the rock for a week or 2 and clean it up

bratliff
01-06-2012, 9:48 AM
A cycle only occurs when organic material decays. In the case of Marco and similar dry rocks, these are mined from ancient reef deposits and have no organic material. I believe Marco even guarantees no cycle of ill affects from their rocks (altho I'm going from memory so double check me before you add). I added a couple hundred pounds of Marco rock when I upgraded my tank and had zero cycling or problems.

The idea of using live rock, in my understanding, in a new tank is to speed a cycle if the rock is fully cured, or to fuel a cycle if it is uncured.

Edit: if the rock is clean and the transfer swift, you might be fine. If not, QT the rock for a week or 2 and clean it up

If you have a hospital/quarantine tank, use that to QT the rock. If you don't, go buy a 20g long and set one up! :) Do a water change and put your "old" tank water in your quarantine tank, add your live rock (make sure you have a little powerhead, heater and HOB filter going as well). Wait a day or two and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (and anything else you feel like but these are all -I- would test for). If your tests all turn up 0, drop that rock in your tank. I wouldn't clean it up (unless you do so BEFORE QT'ing it) as that activity could cause some die off all by itself.