View Full Version : Sump/Filtration Upgrade

12-06-2011, 5:38 PM
So I am thinking about getting a new sump for my system. I currently have a very small sump and I'm pressed for space. I am going to upgrade to a bigger skimmer (probably reef octopus 150g in sump skimmer). I'd like to get a sump that I could do a wet/dry filter in and a refugium, while also having enough space for my skimmer, chiller pump, UV pump, and return. I would prefer to buy a sump- new or used over building one, but if it comes down to it i may have to build one. Any ideas on how I should do this one/where I could get a sump like this?

Edit: Also I have about a 100 gallon system right now. I want the sump to still fit in the stand under my main tank- a 72 bowfront.

12-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm sure MRC could build this for you. I would reconsider on the wet/dry - potential nitrate factory and not needed from a biofilter assuming you have live rock.

Personally (and I stress personally), I would pass on the fuge, but others like them and I'll admit that I've used them in the past. My thinking now is that it's just another detritus trap.

12-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Okay I am just trying to remove dissolved organics and compounds that cause the growth of unsightly algaes in my main tank. Are you suggesting just using a skimmer and other mechanical/chemical means of filtration?