View Full Version : Sump/Filtration Upgrade

GAkayaker12234
12-06-2011, 4:38 PM
So I am thinking about getting a new sump for my system. I currently have a very small sump and I'm pressed for space. I am going to upgrade to a bigger skimmer (probably reef octopus 150g in sump skimmer). I'd like to get a sump that I could do a wet/dry filter in and a refugium, while also having enough space for my skimmer, chiller pump, UV pump, and return. I would prefer to buy a sump- new or used over building one, but if it comes down to it i may have to build one. Any ideas on how I should do this one/where I could get a sump like this?

Edit: Also I have about a 100 gallon system right now. I want the sump to still fit in the stand under my main tank- a 72 bowfront.

dme330i
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm sure MRC could build this for you. I would reconsider on the wet/dry - potential nitrate factory and not needed from a biofilter assuming you have live rock.

Personally (and I stress personally), I would pass on the fuge, but others like them and I'll admit that I've used them in the past. My thinking now is that it's just another detritus trap.

GAkayaker12234
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Okay I am just trying to remove dissolved organics and compounds that cause the growth of unsightly algaes in my main tank. Are you suggesting just using a skimmer and other mechanical/chemical means of filtration?